U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 09:38 AM

5,037 posts, read 7,748,142 times

Advertisements

Just to follow up...

I took the ham out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving, as the instructions stated. By the time I got around to helping myself, it was out close to an hour. It was still quite cold and IMO just "meh". It was very tasty, but tasted like "leftover" ham.

Several people took some, but nobody went back for seconds. People took seconds and even thirds of everything else.

Now that I tried it that way, I know for certain: I will DEFINITELY heat it before serving next time.

YMMV.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 AM

3,647 posts, read 4,754,394 times
Hi Chey. Sorry I'm reading this after you served the ham. Like you, I have never bought one of these but have eaten them many times. I have made the soup from the mix. Someone gave me their bone and I bought the mix. It's good.

I also make bean soup from scratch some years but always like to try new or different things.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,607,793 times
Here's what HoneyBaked Hams has to say on the subject:

Quote:
Serve at Room Temperature
The HoneyBaked Ham and Turkey Breast are fully cooked and ready to enjoy. For the very best flavor, take the Ham or Turkey Breast out of the refrigerator and allow it to stand at room temperature a half-hour before serving. Refrigerate unused portions immediately.

Heating may cause the Ham or Turkey Breast to dry out and lose flavor.
HoneyBaked Ham - Glazed Ham, Turkey, Turkey Breast, Beef, Desserts, Sides, Dinners

Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 AM

18,347 posts, read 23,510,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Hot OR cold, or hot AND cold - but not room temperature.

Room temperature is a recipe for food poisoning. Food should be at room temperature only long enough to heat it back up, or cool it back down.
i typically agree with this, but ham, has a high sodium content

think of all the meats in cans on the grocery shelves- room temp....yes it may be vac seales,,,but most are filled with sodium...

anyways, years ago, we use to recommend cooking a ham for 15 mins per lb at 275....that was before spiral sliced hams,,

now you can just warm up the ham in the oven for a half hour-thats it..

even if the directions on the spiral ham pkge say to cook it 15 mins per lb...its too long,,,you will have ham jerky

most all hams are fully cooked and smoked,,,just need to warm them up..particularly spiral sliced

Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
And one more thing. If you are going to garnish a ham with pineapple rings, use canned or cooked pineapple. Using raw pineapple will convert the ham into ham mush. Raw papaya will do the same.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:20 PM

37,090 posts, read 45,594,679 times
Hello? We are all products of natural selection. Our ancestors all ate unrefrigerated food. A room temperature Honey Baked Ham is not going to kill you.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Hello? We are all products of natural selection. Our ancestors all ate unrefrigerated food.
Unfortunately that line of thinking can lead you into a world of hurt. Our ancestors also died of toothache and flu and childbirth, and more children died than survived to adulthood, and 50 was considered old aged. And food poisoning was an everyday occurrence that nobody understood well.

Modern food science has revealed a lot of things our ancestors never suspected about food poisoning, and about how to avoid it. HoneyBaked's recommendations on using its product follow the science... let it warm to room temperature before serving, but don't leave it out of the refrigerator for more than 2 hours. That's not a hard rule to follow.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
I thought the whole point of going to the expense of a honeybaked ham was to get that wonderful crunchy coating which is so fun to pick off and eat. I would never ruin it by heating it--unless we are talking about leftovers but the day off is when that crunchy coating is at its best. yum o.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 AM

149 posts, read 216,767 times
I've got the Honeybaked a few times and I always heat it. I just carve off the number of slices that we will want (or put the whole thing in) cover in foil and just warm it up in the oven on low heat.

Comes out fine.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
I've got the Honeybaked a few times and I always heat it. I just carve off the number of slices that we will want (or put the whole thing in) cover in foil and just warm it up in the oven on low heat.
Yep, that's the way to do it. Trying to heat up the whole ham just makes a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or