Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Does everybody sit at a table? will you break out your good china and silver? Do you have serving pieces you only use at the Holiday? Do you wear a holiday apron? Do you cook and host in slippers? How will you dress? casual or dressed up? Who cleans up and when? right after the feast or hours later?

Since Holiday meals are usually family affairs I'm intrigued about all the details of other families.
I will not dress up, I wear tennis shoes with orthotics, pretty turkey apron, special turkey platter, 3 tiered dessert stand, linen tablecloth and napkins, iced tea in wine glasses. DH cleans up, girls will help. No football during meal, we will eat around 1-2 and then pick at leftovers the rest of the day. i will not cook again for 2 or 3 days as I make large portions to ensure plenty of leftovers.
I have special holiday china I start using at Thanksgiving and I put it back in storage mid january. A lot of trouble but it is just part of our family tradition.

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
I spend Thanksgiving at my mom's house every year with my two brothers, DH and our youngest daughter (our oldest daughter goes to her in-laws' for T'giving and spends Christmas with us). We dress casually. I wear an apron, but it is a practical long white chef-type apron. We'll be driving all night and arriving early Thanksgiving morning (because DH works until 11:30 p.m.) in time for me to help prepare the dinner. Before that, I'll make a quiet little visit to the cemetery down the road and wish my dad a happy Thanksgiving. Over 20 years of holidays without him, and I still feel the emptiness. We'll eat about 1:00 - my two brothers work in retail, so they'll have to leave for work after a post dinner nap. I can't believe they have to work Thanksgiving. I don't know who to blame - the greedy stores or the people that can't let one holiday go by without standing in line for the latest electronic gadget or toy. DH and I are lucky because we both work for a school district. We have a long holiday weekend.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Does everybody sit at a table? will you break out your good china and silver? Do you have serving pieces you only use at the Holiday? Do you wear a holiday apron? Do you cook and host in slippers? How will you dress? casual or dressed up? Who cleans up and when? right after the feast or hours later?

Since Holiday meals are usually family affairs I'm intrigued about all the details of other families.
I will not dress up, I wear tennis shoes with orthotics, pretty turkey apron, special turkey platter, 3 tiered dessert stand, linen tablecloth and napkins, iced tea in wine glasses. DH cleans up, girls will help. No football during meal, we will eat around 1-2 and then pick at leftovers the rest of the day. i will not cook again for 2 or 3 days as I make large portions to ensure plenty of leftovers.
I have special holiday china I start using at Thanksgiving and I put it back in storage mid january. A lot of trouble but it is just part of our family tradition.

Thanks for sharing.
At my house it's super casual. We don't sit at the table because my table only seats four. I put the food on the table and pull the chairs to the living room. I do have serving pieces I put the food in so I can put them on the table and make it buffet style. I do have a bar with stools and a couch and a chair for people to sit in. I promise for food to be ready at 5pm. I make it at that time because I'm not a morning person and I'm not a fan of waking up at 6am to put a turkey in the oven. Anyway, people eat when they want. I'm usually in slippers and comfortable clothes until about an hour before everyone will show and then I'll get ready. I don't majorly dress up. Paper plates, plastic cups and cutlery is what is used. I do put out real wine glasses, though. It cuts down on the stress of clean up(I cook and clean). I do wear an apron while I cook but it's a Pampered Chef apron. I know to some this is all sacrilege but to me Thanksgiving isn't about it looking and being perfect. It's about getting together and hanging out to eat drink and be merry. People must not hate it too much because they keep coming back.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
There are football games on Thanksgiving?

We are finding that we have to schedule around the respective children's boyfriend/girlfriend families. Which is really no big deal. Mrs. NBP does a better turkey/stuffing than most.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Only 3 of us this year. .But I will be bringing out the heirloom china, the sterling silver and setting a lovely table. It's Thanksgiving! We dress casually. My husband likes to eat early. His mom typically serves holiday meals at noon or 1, which I find too early. I will probably plan on eating between 2 and 3 PM. We enjoy football but don't serve dinner around it - perhaps we would if we had a team playing though. Typically, we'd play games Thanksgiving evening, while picking on leftovers. With just 3 that is difficult. Might go see a movie instead.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Our family and large extended family of close friends are all vegetarian or vegan. And we all love sports. So we serve an all day open house vegetarian/vegan buffet. Friends and family drop in, bringing new dishes to try as well as old favorites.

We set up small tables throughout the family room and dining room, and we enjoy food, friendship and football.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
We use "good" stuff for every meal.....no sense in having it, if you "save" it for special ocassions!

This year, we will be waiting until after the Redskins/Cowboys play....so dinner will be around 7pm. Not a fan of eating a large meal mid-day, anyway! Any other game, we'd eat at half-time...but not this one!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Eating off of good china, dressed semi-casual, apron on while cooking, dinner served at 4:00pm and no football on TV, (don't own a TV).

Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
no kudzu: Does everybody sit at a table?

yes

will you break out your good china and silver? Do you have serving pieces you only use at the Holiday?

We always use our good china and silver. For every meal. The only special touch would be a festive table cloth and table centerpiece.

Do you wear a holiday apron? Do you cook and host in slippers? How will you dress? casual or dressed up?

Yes, I will change. Nice and casual, but no apron and slippers.

Who cleans up and when? right after the feast or hours later?

We will clear the table and only leave the desserts and drinks on it. We usually sit and talk for a while. Enjoy the spirit and the spirits

Later on, one person will wash the dishes and other will secure the leftovers and move them into fridge.

We never watch TV while eating ( except a snack, ice cream or fruit ). In fact the TV is nowhere near the dining table.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Our family and large extended family of close friends are all vegetarian or vegan. And we all love sports. So we serve an all day open house vegetarian/vegan buffet. Friends and family drop in, bringing new dishes to try as well as old favorites.

We set up small tables throughout the family room and dining room, and we enjoy food, friendship and football.
that sounds like fun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink