Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

and which ones have to wait till T Day?

i already have my cranberry-orange relish, greenbean casserole, stuffing in the extra fridge.
On T Day I will cook the turkey breast, prepare the cheese grits casserole (learned the hard way it just doesn't do well in advance), wilted spinach salad, roasted asparagus but I will bring all my refrigerated dishes to room temperature before I cook it ALL IN MY DOUBLE OVENS. I can't imagine having a big holiday meal without double oven.
The day before-gee I guess that is tomorrow I will make my cheesecake and apple crisp.
How do you manage all your dishes? Stay up all Wednesday night? on your feet all day Thursday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I don't have double ovens, so I bought a roaster oven this year. I'm going to cook the turkey in it and use the regular oven for my other stuff.

Today I'm making the cornbread for the stuffing, and the apple pie.

Tomorrow I'm making the pumpkin pies, the sweet potato casserole, and the macaroni and cheese (which I forgot to list in the other post). I should probably cook the turkey breast tomorrow too so it's out of the way. Will have to see if I can thaw it today. I will also chop the celery and onions for the stuffing and sautee them.

On Thanksgiving I will cook the turkey, the mashed potatoes, and the veggie dishes. My daughter, who loves pearl onions, will get to peel the tiny little things, and we'll see if she still loves them after that.

I made the cheesecake a couple of weeks ago and froze it.

I can't spend a couple of days on my feet like I used to, I did that in February working on someone's sweet 16 cake and cookie favors, and ended up with a stress fracture in my foot, so I've learned to pace myself now.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
We do most of the desserts ahead of time. We also do our 35 lbs of mashed potatoes the day before. The recipe we use tastes better after it has been refrigerated at least 1 day.
We all heat up our dishes and coordinate our arrival time at Mom's house. Luckily, we also have 4 houses within 5 minutes of Mom's, so we sometimes need to use those ovens to get everything ready at the same time. It is interesting though because we usually have over 50 people so we have to cook several batches of each thing and more things are being heated as people start to go through the lines. That way we don't have to worry about the people at the back getting cold food.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I've already made the pies, the cranberry sauce, and the mashed cauliflower. They will be well-traveled -- 410 miles from here to my mom's house.

Turkey, dressing, roasted sweet potatoes, and green beans will wait until Thursday.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
All the desserts are made and in the freezer. Tomorrow I'll make the garlic mashed potatoes and will cut all the salad ingredients and put them into individual zip lock bags. Everything else I'll do on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Well, I am not hosting, we are going to SOs parents. I have made banana nut bread and am making a pumpkin roll ahead. I will be making crock pot mac and cheese on TG day there at their house....

When I am making homemade sausage cornbread stuffing I will cut the onions, celery, and mushrooms for that ahead of time, etc.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Green bean casserole and swiss vegetable medley 2 days before, corn bread pudding 4 days before then I freeze it, apple pie the night before.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,231 times
I will make the stuffing, cranberry salad, broccoli casserole and cookies tomorrow. My family is doing the rest we'll eat at my sister's house.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I make the pie/s, potato roll dough in advance. The beans (not that nasty casserole!!) will be cooked the day prior and heated before dinner.
Everything else is doable the day of!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,126 times
I made my cranberry orange sauce Sunday. Everything else will be cooked Thursday. There is only 3 of us; I bought a 7 lb fresh turkey breast at Publix and had the butcher cut it in half. All the sides will be ready by the time the turkey breast is cooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink