U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:10 AM

859 posts, read 2,396,023 times

Advertisements

Do people outside the NY-NJ-PA area really not fold their pizza?

Here, we pick up a slice of pizza, fold it and then bite it. I always assumed that's how everyone eats pizza b/c that's how I was taught as a baby.

The other day this woman told me that no one eats it that way outside this area. I have been other places, but wasn't exactly staring at people dining lol.

If you don't fold it, how do you eat it? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:00 AM

6,040 posts, read 6,741,994 times
New York style pizza is the one that gets folded and I can't stand them. I like a deep dish pizza so deep that you have to eat it with a fork on a plate. Over cooked cheddar cheese on a thin cardboard like crust can stay in New York as far as I care.
Yellow cheese and tomato sauce is about as authentic on a pizza as hamburger and sour-cream is on a taco, yuk !

Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,729,145 times
Umm... I just pick it up and eat it? (Actually, because I'm weird, I pick off all of the toppings and eat them first and then eat the crust, but I don't fold it.) I don't think most people I know fold their pizza, but then again, I have never really noticed how people eat their pizza.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:07 AM

2,513 posts, read 5,209,439 times
The only pizza folders I know are from NY and NJ. I live next door in CT and I don't fold my pizza. Many of my friends in college were from NJ and most of them were pizza folders!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:21 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,728,157 times
Picking it up and folding it is the only way to eat NY style pizza. It always astonishes me when I see people eating it with a fork & knife!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:46 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,729,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Picking it up and folding it is the only way to eat NY style pizza. It always astonishes me when I see people eating it with a fork & knife!
That likely has some play into why people outside of the NY-style pizza zone eat theirs differently- the pizza is different! Pizza that I eat has a thick enough crust that I don't have to fold it- it keeps it's triangular shape even when lifted, without being flimsy in the NY-style kind of way...

Old 10-13-2007, 09:51 AM

7,713 posts, read 7,803,016 times
I don't care if it's thin or thick crust,... I love pizza

Old 10-13-2007, 11:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 20,346,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Yellow cheese and tomato sauce is about as authentic on a pizza as hamburger and sour-cream is on a taco, yuk !
I have never, ever, ever heard of cheddar cheese on pizza anywhere in the tri-state area...

Old 10-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
That likely has some play into why people outside of the NY-style pizza zone eat theirs differently- the pizza is different! Pizza that I eat has a thick enough crust that I don't have to fold it- it keeps it's triangular shape even when lifted, without being flimsy in the NY-style kind of way...

Thinking about it, even slices that keep the shape, would normally be too wide for my mouth if I didn't fold it.

Although, I guess times I have eaten Dominoes, those slices are small so I can see that working out, but I think I attempt to fold it as habit lol.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I have never, ever, ever heard of cheddar cheese on pizza anywhere in the tri-state area...
That's what I was wondering. Since when does ANYONE put yellow cheese on pizza? Certainly not here, hopefully not anywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink