Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:58 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,375,194 times

Advertisements

http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...-espresso.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,312,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And it tastes NOTHING like a well-pulled freshly-ground shot of espresso.
There's no question that a perfectly crafted and executed conventional espresso shot is a thing of beauty.

But taste, as we all know, is highly subjective. In my experience, Nespresso users don't just like their machines, they LOVE them. And there are millions of those users, so obviously Nestle is doing something right.

To a person, the owners I've talked to say the thing that sold them on the system was the taste of the coffee. Several of my friends even replaced their conventional espresso machines after trying the Nespresso machine at my house. The capsule system is simple to use, with zero learning curve, and everyone appreciates how neat and clean it is to use compared to dealing with ground coffee and disposing of wet grounds. It's very Swiss!

As I said earlier, it's not for everyone, but it's absolutely worthy of serious consideration, which is why I offered the option.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,513,539 times
We have a Nespresso D290, which I don't think they make anymore and we love it. It produces a nice crema on the espresso and tastes great. The espresso machine we had before this one was way more expensive, messy, and the espresso wasn't as good.

Go to sur la table or Williams Sonoma and test out different brands, I'm sure you'll find one you like.

Ours was more than $300 tho. HTH.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM

520 posts, read 3,910,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Given the OPs total budget of $300, I'd suggest the CITIZ & MILK combo from the list below.

A note on the Nespresso pods... the coffee is packed with nitrogen in pressurized capsules, so they stay fresh on the shelf exceptionally well. Most dealers supply a sampler kit of different flavors to get you started, and then you reorder from Nespresso.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have read many great reviews on the Nesresso machines.
What is the difference between these three Nespresso machines: Citiz & Milk, Citiz, and Single Serve? They all look the same to me.

With Nespresso machines, I can ONLY use Nespresso pods, correct?

So far I'm between the Nespresso Citiz and Milk and a Gaggia machine.
Of the Gaggia, it *seems* that the Gaggia Baby Class is better than the Gaggia Classic.

Is there a preference between a Citiz and Milk or the Baby Class?

Thanks all!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,357,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I have read many great reviews on the Nesresso machines.
What is the difference between these three Nespresso machines: Citiz & Milk, Citiz, and Single Serve? They all look the same to me.

Of the Gaggia, it *seems* that the Gaggia Baby Class is better than the Gaggia Classic.

Thanks all!
The Nespresso links you posted are confusing. Go here instead http://www.nespresso-us.com/machines/ for a better comparison of Nespresso complete product line. Citiz+milk has feature to heat milk and make Lattess, which i believe was what you intend to make. The Citiz Model only provides espresso. I dont think there is a "Single Serve" line.

For Citiz+Milk vs. Gaggia, Citiz gives you convenience using proprietary pods, though im not sure how good/effective the milk steamer is. The Gaggia is build like your typical espresso machine, so its flexible enough where you can use ESE pods for convenience or pull an espresso shot using beans that are pre-grounded, or you grind yourself (requires extra $$ for burr grinder.)

Now if i were to buy one, i would choose Nespresso since, i just drink espressos, like the convenience, and the quality of the shot is good enough for me.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:11 AM

You have to use pods from Nespresso. It's really not a pain to order tho, I have a nespresso app on my iPhone and it takes about one minute.

Their customer service is amazing as well. They fixed my machine (that I broke) for free after it was out of warranty. They also send me a part I needed for free a couple months ago.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Usually around Christmas they send us a $100 off coupon good on any machine too, but we've never used them because if ours ever breaks a complete refurb will only cost $150. I think ours cost 5 or 6 hundred dollars. It has the frother attached.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
It is the same Citiz Nespresso machine in all three cases. The "+ Milk" adds an extended base to hold the separate Aeroccino 3 Milk Frother, which is included in the combo package. It automatically heats and froths milk without a steam wand. The "Single Serve" is just ad copy that Bloomingdales added to the Citiz + Milk blurb.

Quote:
Correct. The pods are the secret to why the system works so well. There are 16 different flavors of standard pods to choose from, plus limited seasonal specials. They are pressurized with nitrogen and sealed, so they have exceptional shelf life and consistency. I keep a variety of flavors on hand for my guests to choose from, with no worries about the coffee going stale. And it's nice not having the mess of ground coffee to deal with. For a long time I had a small machine similar to the Citiz on my desk at work... all I had to do was fill the water carafe as needed, and the used pods went in the wastebasket. With a conventional espresso machine you need to be close to a sink. I recently stayed in a hotel where there's a Nespresso machine on the bedside table, so you can have your coffee before you get up. Nespresso - 16 Grands Crus, coffee varieties for Espresso, Cappuccino, Latte

Quote:
Both are good choices. But you need to make that fundamental decision between using ground coffee or using pods.

Quote:
It's a newer model, slightly different features, but either would be good.

Quote:
Again, you can't compare them directly, because one is a Nespresso machine and one is a traditional espresso machine. One thing you may not have noticed is that the Gaggia is over twice as big, and it can't really go under a kitchen cabinet due to the steam it throws off. There's no such problem with the Swiss engineering of the very compact Citiz.

Also consider that you you need more counter room around the Gaggia, and more time to prepare your latte. Here's the start to finish process for each:

Citiz: Turn on power, add cold milk to Aeroccino carafe and start. By now Citiz is ready to brew (in under a minute), so open the gate, drop in the pod, close the gate, start the brew cycle. In about 35 seconds the coffee will be ready, just about when the milk is ready, so pour it in the cup and enjoy. Total elapsed time from cold start, maybe 3 minutes.

To prepare to make another cup open the gate to let the spent capsule drop into the waste canister, drop in a new capsule. When finished, wash out milk carafe.

Gaggia: Turn on power, add cold milk to steaming pitcher, grind coffee (or open ground coffee), when machine is ready (about 10 minutes) run hot water to heat up portafilter. Remove portafilter, measure coffee into it, tamp the coffee, replace the portafilter, run pump to brew the coffee (about 35 secs). Open the steamer valve to clear water from wand, then close. Insert steamer wand into pitcher, open steam valve and manipulate pitcher to get desired result (don't scald the milk!), pour it into the cup and enjoy. Total elapsed time from cold start, maybe 12-15 minutes.

To prepare to make another cup remove portafilter, invert it, and strike sharply against the crossbar of a knock-box* to drop the spent grounds out, rinse it out and wipe dry, measure coffee, tamp, replace portafilter on machine. When finished, run steam to clean out vents and wipe down steam wand.

Like I said, they're fundamentally different processes that each uses to produce an excellent latte. But you have to choose which way you want to go.

* Knock-box: https://www.google.com/search?q=espr...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by OpenD; 11-24-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 11-24-2012, 01:27 PM

520 posts, read 3,910,809 times
OpenD thanks again for the very informative breakdown on the machines.
From what you have explained with the space constraint and time to make these yummy drinks, I think I'll lean towards the Nespresso machines then.

Now, in your expert opinion, which one of these two is the better machine?
Both get very great reviews. Seems like you can't go wrong with either one.
The price difference is about $50.
From what I read, the Lattissima was easier to clean.

Lattissima vs Citiz and Milk.

Because of the pods, I don't need a grinder now, correct?

Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Now, in your expert opinion, which one of these two is the better machine?
Equally good, just different configurations, depending on what features you want.

The Citiz makes espresso brewed coffee, period. The Aeroccino makes froth and hot milk, period. Put them together, you can make lattes. If you like, choose a less expensive model coffee machine, like the Essenza, the U, or the Pixie. They all make the same coffee, just different styling mostly. An Essenza plus an Aeroccino would run $229... maybe less if there's a deal... and makes the same great coffee as the top of the line.

The Lattisima makes coffee, dispenses hot milk or froth or hot water or steam. You put the milk in a tank, it sucks the milk through a heater block and pumps it out when required. All that needs to be cleaned out when done, vs the simple stainless steel carafe of the Aeroccino. I know which I prefer.

Quote:
Both get very great reviews. Seems like you can't go wrong with either one.
The price difference is about $50.
From what I read, the Lattissima was easier to clean.
I suggest you drop by one of their retailers for a demo... and a taste! It's the simplicity and the taste of the Nespresso system that sells people.

Quote:
Because of the pods, I don't need a grinder now, correct?
Correct. You don't need a grinder, and also don't need a knock-box, and you don't need all that counter space, and you don't need to be next to a sink, and you don't need any practice to learn how to do it right. What you give up is the theoretically infinite number of varieties of loose beans and roasts you could use in a conventional machine, and the ability to buy coffee at the supermarket, but in my experience Nespresso's Grand Crus selection is wide enough to have something for everyone. You do need to manage your coffee supply and remember to order more pods at least couple of days before you will run out. To me that's a small price to pay for the ease and simplicity and neatness of the system.

But different strokes for different folks, right? Some people absolutely want more choices, or like the romance of the old way of doing things the traditional way. For those folks I'll be back with some additional notes about conventional machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink