Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times

Advertisements

I make my own, starting with bechamel, to which I add cheddar, gruyere, and parmigiano-reggiano, then cavatappi; I top it off with 6 slices worth of buttered bread cubes, and bake. No boxed M&C ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:19 AM

802 posts, read 642,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Stouffer's cooked in the oven until brown and crispy around the edges. I don't like it cooked in the microwave.
Love Stouffer's mac and cheese. Or Velveeta Shells and Cheese. Once in a great while (if hubby throws it in the cart) the stuff in the blue box.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:32 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
My mom makes delicious white chedder mac and cheese...... (I prefer that for home made)

For BOX type I have loved these over the years

1) Golden Grain Macaroni and chedder -- FIRST KIND I EVER LOVED.........AHHHHH,MY FAVOURITE!! (Company sold thier pasta division in 1986 )

2) Kraft Macaroni and cheese -- I loved this for years until they changed thier recipe and now it tastes like complete trash...... (Kraft '3 cheese' sauce I ALSO LOVED (When this came out))

3) Clear Value Macaroni and cheese -- THIS IS THE ONLY BOX'D KIND I LOVE NOW------- I went almost a year w/o ANY MAC AND CHEESE when Kraft changed thier recipe and I was quite happy to find Clear Value!!
Golden Grain was our favorite too. Living mere feet from the plant, we had no trouble finding it in stores around Chicago and it was still available when we moved away in 2003. Haven't found anything that comes close and suspect never will.

My go to box then is Kraft 3 cheese but it does not really compare with Golden Grain IMO. I tried Trader Joe's box version and it was pretty good but I do not shop there too often.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:37 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
I've been trying out some new versions. Turns out there are ton of variations of the classic: baked or stove top, bechamel or custard, or even just cheese or with additions like bacon and breadcrumbs. At a work potluck I had one that was a stove-top version with just milk and cheese. Very gooey. I had an awesome version at a restaurant a few months ago while traveling that had gorgonzola in addition to two other types of cheese.

And of course there is the box kind with the fake, neon orange powered cheese stuff.

So what kind of macaroni and cheese do you prefer?
My ex-mother-in-law and ex-sisters-in-law have a recipe for Mac n' Cheese that is hellaciously good. I think the key to theirs is about three different kinds of cheese. Yeah, Texas women cook!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
What kind of macaroni and cheese do I like?

THIS ONE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I make my own, starting with bechamel, to which I add cheddar, gruyere, and parmigiano-reggiano, then cavatappi; I top it off with 6 slices worth of buttered bread cubes, and bake. No boxed M&C ever.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:07 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60
Golden Grain was our favorite too. Living mere feet from the plant, we had no trouble finding it in stores around Chicago and it was still available when we moved away in 2003.
I recently found some (In the early 2000s) but it wasnt called "Macaroni and Chedder" anymore and wasnt as good as it was in the 70s under the original company...... (It was just called Golden Grain "MACARONI AND CHEESE")

If you like that you should look for CLEAR VALUE MAC AND CHEESE,you will love it!!! (Dont pay any attn to its name (CLEAR VALUE),its delicious!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp
Oh, and bake it with bread crumbs on the top.
Excellent!!!

This place I goto makes it this way.. TONS OF BREAD CRUMBS ON TOP!!!! (With lobster bisque mixed in for the sauce)

Old 04-22-2014, 11:46 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I recently found some (In the early 2000s) but it wasnt called "Macaroni and Chedder" anymore and wasnt as good as it was in the 70s under the original company...... (It was just called Golden Grain "MACARONI AND CHEESE")

If you like that you should look for CLEAR VALUE MAC AND CHEESE,you will love it!!! (Dont pay any attn to its name (CLEAR VALUE),its delicious!!)

Excellent!!!

This place I goto makes it this way.. TONS OF BREAD CRUMBS ON TOP!!!! (With lobster bisque mixed in for the sauce)
Is that a Yellow and Red box? I am familiar with that brand but not sure where I've seen it around these parts.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Only homemade.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
Home-made: boil some pasta, add some milk/cream, butter and cheese. Stir and season with a little salt and pepper. I usually use cheddar cheese or whatever cheese that is on-hand in desperation.

I have had those boxed versions in the past but I have not purchased any in quite some while.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:38 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
i prefer regular versions over baked m/c for the most part

sometimes simple is better

i've ate some bad baked m/c that people swear by...had so much cheese butter velveeta topped off w/ crumpled cheezit & doritos and i wasnt impressed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink