Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times

Advertisements

Turkey and all that other junk only on thanksgiving, being 100% Italian Christmas eve all about the fish, mostly shellfish, been that way since I was a kid and I'm sure long before I was born too. Of course my mom also makes plenty for those that don't like seafood as well, mainly lasagna, chicken marsala, etc. Christmas day more of the same at in laws house and either a ham or a leg of lamb or a prime rib roast, whatever pops feels like doing. Thanksgiving dinner is over rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
We always have beef for Christmas. So a rib roast or beef wellington is what we usually make.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:00 PM

633 posts, read 1,734,707 times
Germany: Most people are not interessted in Thanksgiving. It was a more important holiday many many years ago. But germans are not really religious. Teenage kids and People 35years and under do not really go to church. Only the old people go to church regulary (not all, but many). We dont have a special food on thanksgiving.

xmas: Many families serving potatoe salad and sausages on dec.24th. That is a very simple and easy dish for poor people but even much rich families serve potatoe salad and sausages on dec 24th, it is a dish to think about the poor people in the world which cannot afford lobster and beef tenderloin at holidays. Other dishes seved on Dec. 25th and 26th. Winter in germany is very cold and that is the classic season for goose roast, red cabbage and dumpings, or deer roast, duck breast dishes ....

Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Turkey for Thanksgiving, prime rib for Christmas, a big ham for New Year's, roast leg of lamb for Easter. That's how it goes in my family.
We must have been raised in the same or similar families, we do the same, but not the Leg of Lamb (only because our daughter and her daughters don't do lamb) I was raised with leg of lamb on Easter.. Chistmas eve is a light dinner, soup,chili, etc and lots of snacks if we eat at our daughters. If we eat here it is Mexican, but Christmas day is always Prime rib. We will have turkey some other time of the year, not Christmas. This year I thought we were doing a switch and having Prime Rib at our daughters on Christmas eve, I am getting old, I screwed it up. We are having it here on Christmas day.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Exactly how we do it.
I might have ham at Christmas if I have a lot of people, for budget reasons, otherwise roast beef.
Can't rep you but would love to: we do the prime Rib, but yes, the cost is so out of sight I am not sure how many more years this will continue..We only have 7 this year and 2 of them will not eat it I am sure, so a 5 lb roast will work, but you are still talking $50.00!!!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
We always have beef for Christmas. So a rib roast or beef wellington is what we usually make.

Wow, I haven't heard of anyone serving Beef Wellington since the mid-70s.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:58 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
For us we do the traditional turkey day dinner with the ususal stuff. For Xmas we do a brunch that consists of: honey ham, pork, delived eggs, rolls, boiled egss, bagels, hot chocholate, rolled turkey and ham and wine/champagne, lol

Old 12-02-2012, 03:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
I gew up having turkey on both Thanksgiving and Christmas. They were different, but both were good, as the cooks were different. My aunt cooked a fancy Thanksgiving meal for the whole family but my mother cooked the Christmas turkey for three. The latter meal was my favorite.

I am willing to have a Christmas meal without turkey but I insist on something special, something that takes hours and something I seldom eat. This year I'm torn between either a duck and a chicken with a mixture of both fat and pan drippings or corned beef and cabbage, possibly baked which I don't believe I've ever done before.

Christmas Eve is mostly constant. I'll have oyster stew and potato sausage with buttery mashed potatoes. If I can get some smoked chubs I'll have them (plus other goodies) on Winter Solstice. Assuming I don't have turkey Christmas I'll have one on New Year's Day.

I will receive 6# of Roquefort in about ten days and plan to eat it a bit at a time from Solstice to the weekend after New Year's.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:49 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Wow, I haven't heard of anyone serving Beef Wellington since the mid-70s.
Gordon Ramsey serves it in Hell's Kitchen every night.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Gordon Ramsey serves it in Hell's Kitchen every night.
Yabbut he's a Brit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink