Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:48 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

thanksgiving is usually turkey & venison (lobsters and poker the night before)

Christmas is prime rib ....one of my all time favs.. I cut my own 7 rib...bone and tie it,,,roast it for medium rare mmmmmmmm I put dibs on the bones.....they are like beef baby back ribs,,,, so flavorful!!

sometimes we compliment the prime rib with a ham, or lamb leg, or pork crown roast (I make that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 12:51 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Thanksgiving is turkey, Christmas is Prime Rib, Easter is ham or lamb, St Patrick's Day is corned beef and cabbage, New Years Day is pork and sauerkraut.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:40 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
They're never the same. Thanksgiving has usually meant turkey and all the trimmings (though not any more) and Christmas is whatever sounds good at the time.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:32 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Christmas dinner is usually just the two of us, and we usually have steak with mashed potatoes and a vegetable and call it good. In the past we've served prime rib when we had guests, but it's gotten terribly expensive.

Thanksgiving meals have switched from turkey to ham, but we still provide a small turkey if we have any guests who "must" have it.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanksgiving is turkey, Christmas is Prime Rib, Easter is ham or lamb, St Patrick's Day is corned beef and cabbage, New Years Day is pork and sauerkraut.
you could be part of our family. Growing up, yes, it as Turkey and dressing for both meals and if I remember right ham for New Years, but now we have our own traditions.

Thanksgiving is turkey, dressing and the whole thing, including sweet potatoes, and green beans or asparagus. We usually have a large crowd, this year, we have 17 including 2 infants.

Christmas is always Prime rib, the gathering is usaually smaller as our one granddaughter, hubby and kids go to his parents for Chirstmas and our kids from out of the area, normally do not come. There will be 11 of us this Christmas. We never have sweet potatoes; just the traditional Prime Rib dinner.

New Years is left over from the holidays, sometimes we get together with just our daughter and hubby, sometimes just us and yes, probably some kind of pork and greens.

Easter is, like you said, Leg of Lamb or ham, depending on who is coming and how many.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:13 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Usually the same @ our house....

I feel guilty eating it but it does taste good..........

Old 11-23-2015, 06:55 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
We do the Turkey thing for both Christmas and Thanksgiving. New Years is a nice leg of lamb if we can find one at a decent price. Easter is Ham. I would love to do Prime Rib but I like it rare and the hubs likes it well done to beef jerkey. So that doesn't happen.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:27 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Thanksgiving is Turkey and Ham. Xmas is 9 course meal, I've trying to recreate the Xmas I had in France. Lobster usually is one of the 9 courses. New Year, I usually make prime rib. Easter is rack of lamb.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Once, we deviated at Thanksgiving and had lobsters. My theory is, if the Pilgrims could have had it, then it is OK. We still had to have the turkey extravaganza a few days later.
This year, we aren't having company, but having guests tonight, so tomorrow is leftovers, and I'll make a turkey on Sunday.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:22 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
Thanksgiving is turkey and Christmas is ham, usually a Honeybake. Potato’s are mashed for turkey day and I make a cheese potato casserole for Christmas. Same dressing and rolls and assorted veggie sides and appetizers. Pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and chocolate cream for Christmas. And of course Christmas cookies, divinity, and assorted other fudges and sweets.
All of this was the way it was before my parents died and later I got divorced. Occasionally I do cook on these days and do it all the same and invite a friend over, but usually I’m invited to other people’s homes and I bring a dish. My potato casserole is always a hit so I bring that a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink