Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 AM

73 posts, read 150,667 times

Advertisements

I eat a lot of raw whole veggies everyday. But often times I feel too full to eat them so I thought about buying a blender and juicing them instead to facilitate my veggie consumption

After looking online it seems that all I'd really be missing out on from the solids would be fiber, which I get plenty of in my regular diet so that isn't a concern of mine. And I also think adding fruits would add to the flavor of the whole thing so anyone willing to share other facts or tips about this idea?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,962,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideySwag View Post
I eat a lot of raw whole veggies everyday. But often times I feel too full to eat them so I thought about buying a blender and juicing them instead to facilitate my veggie consumption

After looking online it seems that all I'd really be missing out on from the solids would be fiber, which I get plenty of in my regular diet so that isn't a concern of mine. And I also think adding fruits would add to the flavor of the whole thing so anyone willing to share other facts or tips about this idea?
There is tons of info online on juicing and blending. Blending wouldn't remove the fiber while juicing would. I've read a ton on both, and which is better and still have not come to a clear conclusion. People rave about both juicing and blending, but I tend to think getting the veggies in is more important than how they get there. Personally I do both and alternate between the two depending on what ingredients I have on hand, though I use my blender more than my juicer. It helps me get my veggies consumption up a notch or two. I prefer to add a little almond butter or tahini to cover any bad tastes rather than more fruit.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 AM

9,001 posts, read 10,137,920 times
Quote:

How coincidental! I wanted to start a thread asking this- then I come across this

I'm meeting lots of people who juice. They look radiantly healthy, are energized, have glowing skin & are just so much healthier looking than others. So I'm turned on to the idea of juicing my own veggies, etc. I have no idea where to start. A girl I work w/ gave me a few recipes, but Idk if you can use a blender or if ya' need a juicer....

Adding fruits would be a good way to sweeten the juice, but ya' gotta watch the calories.
I'll be researching this, & trying to post what I find.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,218,944 times
Nope, I do a lot of things from scratch but juisces don't make the list.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,244,260 times
I juice and I have done a couple of threads on it here. Either here or in recipe section. You may want to do a search and take a peek.

I love juicing with fruits and vegetables! Good stuff!

YUM!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,292,706 times
Quote:
Blending them will not reduce the volume of food going into your stomach, it just makes it liquid.

Juicing them removes the cellulose and other fiber, reducing the total volume going into your stomach.

As an example, if I eat 1 pound of carrots, 1 pound of carrots goes into my stomach.

If I blend 1 pound of carrots into juice, 1 pound of liquified carrots goes into my stomach - 3 or 4 big glasses full.

If I run 1 pound of carrots through a juicer, about 3/4 pound of indigestible pulp goes on my compost pile while a single glass of juice goes in my stomach.

The theory of juicing is that it concentrates nutrients from fruits and vegetables so you can benefit from more nutrition density without having to eat too much.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Blending them will not reduce the volume of food going into your stomach, it just makes it liquid.

Juicing them removes the cellulose and other fiber, reducing the total volume going into your stomach.

As an example, if I eat 1 pound of carrots, 1 pound of carrots goes into my stomach.

If I blend 1 pound of carrots into juice, 1 pound of liquified carrots goes into my stomach - 3 or 4 big glasses full.

If I run 1 pound of carrots through a juicer, about 3/4 pound of indigestible pulp goes on my compost pile while a single glass of juice goes in my stomach.

The theory of juicing is that it concentrates nutrients from fruits and vegetables so you can benefit from more nutrition density without having to eat too much.
Exactly my intent! For all the blending folks out there, how chunky/thick is the juice you're drinking? And to the juicing peeps, do you feel that the amount you have to squeeze to get at least a cup or two of liquid is worth wasting all the solids?

Also, are there strictly just juicers or blenders, not a combination of both?

Glad we're on the same page believe007, hope we can find a good way to enjoy our vegetables to the fullest!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I juice and I have done a couple of threads on it here. Either here or in recipe section. You may want to do a search and take a peek.

I love juicing with fruits and vegetables! Good stuff!

YUM!
Looks tasty! What's in that cup of goodness??

Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,356,765 times
Check these threads out:

Juicing

http://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...g-recipes.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.