Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:57 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
From what I hear all cheddar is white naturally. They dye it yellow for some reason.
I once did a tour of the Cabot Cheese factory in Vermont. They told us that to make orange cheddar they add annatto, a natural food coloring, otherwise it would be white. They also said that in New England white cheddar is most popular where in the midwest Cabot sells little white b/c everyone buys orange cheese there. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times
Whole wheat or grain bread only - make sure it does not contain high fructose corn syrup - many do
No more than 1 frozen meal per week, if at all. They are all laden with chemicals. Organic brands are the best
Only fat free organic milk (hormone free)
No colas - substitute with diet iced tea, Snapple, etc.
Whole grain wheat thins are good
I don't buy peanut butter
Fresh veggies - frozen if necessary
Organic vegetable stock as soup base and for cooking
Cabbage - red or green - very cheap and very good for you. You can braise it, make cabbage soup, use cooked cabbage leaves as "wraps" instead of tortillas, etc.
Bolthouse brand orange juice - the next best thing to fresh...it's wonderful
Beverage - instead of soda, buy diet flavored carbonated water and add in 1-2 ozs of Pomegranate juice over ice. It's really good and tastes like cherry soda
Fresh berries and fresh whipped cream as dessert. Has some fat, but is much better for you than cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc.
For fiber and flavor - bean salad. 1 can light kidney beans - rinsed, 1 can dark kidney beans rinsed, diced red onion and crumbled feta. Add in Newmans Own Lite Italian dressing and mix well and chill. Very good, very filling and cheap to make. Stores well and good to take to work for lunch.
I could go and on. Not too much money to eat healthy - just takes a bit more or prep time.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
I make my own with chicken or turkey carcass too then can it. I use to freeze it but I like the pints and quarts jars ready for whatever size I need to use. That is the best way to cook with broth to make your own.

We don't buy meat from a grocery we buy from a local farmer a side at a time. On the years we haven't bought a side we have a local butcher shop 3 miles away that only buys from local farmers too.

I can our veggies too but we eat them fresh all summer long.

I know Wal Mart brand snack crackers are like a $1 per box and were lower in salt and points if you do weight watchers than Wheat Thins.

I never buy frozen dinners, pizza or stuff like that I make my own. When I make a casserole I cook enough for 2 and freeze one. After doing this for about a week you have a nice stash of quick frozen dinners that aren't loaded with chemicals or salt. Soups I make a big batch and can the extra.

Hamburger gets browned with onion, then drained, then rinsed off, then patted with paper towel this really gets rid of the extra fat. I brown up 10#'s at a time and freeze it in 2 1/2 cup freezer bags it makes it really quick to fix supper when you just have to heat up those bags and add pasta, potatoes or make sloppy joes.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Rather than bouillon, you can just make your own broth.
I only do this with chicken or turkey, though.
Whenever we have either of those, I always simmer the carcass with onion, celery and carrots, and it makes a nice soup base. Then I freeze it until needed; I usually don't season it until I actually make the stew or soup.

Bouillon cubes can be kinda salty. I have seen the vegetarian cubes and the no-salt ones looked good but I haven't tried them.

I agree that making your own salad dressing is easy and much better than store bought, esp for a simple vinaigrette, but I like the Paul Newman brands and do buy them.

Plain, unsweetened yogurt is never going to be on my bad list.
People have been eating yogurt for literally centuries.
Plain yogurt offers health benefits in addition to the acidophilus: it is easier to digest than milk and is a good source of calcium as well as protein.
If you ever want to totally avoid the negative health effects of eating dairy, you'd have to forgo the yogurt too, sorry to say --since it is dairy and dairy is NOT a health food for anyone except baby cows.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Beverage - instead of soda, buy diet flavored carbonated water and add in 1-2 ozs of Pomegranate juice over ice. It's really good and tastes like cherry soda.
Many good ideas in your post, Lisa, but I want to especially try this one...sounds so good. I love pomegranate juice- alone or with vodka. I will now try it with carbonated water.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
If you ever want to totally avoid the negative health effects of eating dairy, you'd have to forgo the yogurt too, sorry to say --since it is dairy and dairy is NOT a health food for anyone except baby cows.
In your opinion.
Please lay off me.
I am not going to change my mind.
I am not feeling any negative health effects.
I am a happy, healthy dairy consumer.
Humboldt Fog cheese rocks!

Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Default No stinkin thinkin on this thread, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Please remain on topic. This comment would be appropriate in the Health and Wellness forum, but not in this forum and especially not on this thread.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Very interesting list, I'll definetly have to try some of these items. After that heart checkup, I've been trying to improve my eating habits. I'm a person who usually eats what they want when they want without regards to how unhealthy it is. I'm not necessarily a bad eater and eat junk food all the time but I guess I just don't pay attention to what something has in it (how much sodium, carbs, oils, etc). This list seems to have some food items that are tasty AND healthy.

I only go to a certain extent though... A friend of mine has tried to get me on these "meatless hamburgers" and they are...YUCK! I'm sorry but a hamburger is meant to be made with MEAT, not vegetables that have been shaped to look like a hamburger!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:53 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Exclamation couldnt give u another + yet !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Please remain on topic. This comment would be appropriate in the Health and Wellness forum, but not in this forum and especially not on this thread.
I am vegetarian but if I am out with someone who eats meat, live and let live......

However, check this out: I donate to this Non-profit, the information you may learn will be shocking: Untitled
Also www.polarbearSOS.org

Factory farming in the U.S. is a disgrace and needs to be stopped....
Veal calves sit in chains and in their own manure and force-fed fat and toxins...I haven't touched veal since 1980.

Unless its at a petting zoo

sunny

Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Another post was just discussing healthy spreads. I like to use 1/2 nontrans fat spread mixed with 1/2 olive oil.

I agree about the natural peanut butter, is hard to use also since it is so hard to stir, and have to keep in frig. I use it sometimes, but DO like the creamy, bad for you hydrogenated brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink