Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:48 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times

Advertisements

Although I poke fun at some of those who feel the need to be thread downers on this forum, taking a positive thread about something someone likes and accusing them of being anti-Christian or morons for liking a particular food, I think it would be helpful, instead, to post your alternatives.

For instance, I posted a thread on Triscuits. Instead of saying all that is wrong with them health-wise, alternatives can be posted here.

Here are some of the foods that my family eats that probably are on some bad list or other. What are same-type alternatives that I could try? Brand names, please, when possible.

Tricuits!

Wheat Thins

Skippy Peanut Butter (have tried organic and don't care for it)

Cavit Pinot Grigio (Uncle Cavit to some )

7-Seasons Italian Salad Dressing

Stouffer frozen mac and cheese (we add steamed broccoli)

Stouffer frozen corn souffle

Totinos frozen pizza

Banquet frozen chicken divan

I will start with some of the changes that I have made-

Milk, 2%- now only buy organic 2%, which actually tastes more like whole milk. I can't keep it in the house, my kids and I love it.

Eggs- I now buy organic. Taste eggier for breakfast and no dif. in cooking.

Chickens- now buy organic and they roast up much nicer, taste many times better.

Chicken and beef broth- used to buy boullion cubes until mad cow and a friend who works for ag department warned against it. Now I buy organic stock.

Yogurt- so much garbage out there. I've been getting those Activa-types lately for convenience. Also go through a lot of plain yogurt, for cooking and we add fruit for breakfast. But I need to dig out my yogurt maker- so quick and easy and always tastes better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 01:27 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,418,675 times
Tricuits/Wheat Thins: I buy the all natural versions of them at Trader Joes, they are even cheaper than Triscuits (called Woven Wheat Wafers at TJ's).

Skippy Peanut Butter: Skippy has a natural peanut butter that tastes exactly like the regular formula but without the hydrogenated oil, sugar and other garbage.

Cavit Pinot Grigio: Wine is good for the heart

7-Seasons Italian Salad Dressing: Try Newman's Own Italian dressing, it doesn't contain the chemicals, preservatives, or HFCS.

Stouffer frozen mac and cheese: Make your own. Still fattening but healthier because it is made from natural ingredients.

Stouffer frozen corn souffle: Hmmm, I have never had a corn souffle. Can't help you there.

Totinos frozen pizza: Home made pizza. Cheaper and tastes better, especially if you get a pizza stone.

Banquet frozen chicken divan: Make your own

I by no means am the picture of perfect health. I just try to avoid man made "lab foods" (i.e. hydrogenated oil, natural/artificial flavorings, high fructose corn syrup, etc.), get plenty of whole grains and vegetables in me, and eat fatty foods sparingly. It sounds like your list includes a lot of pre-made/prepackaged processed foods which isn't great and they are usually very high in sodium. It is easy for me to say "make your own" but I love to cook so I make time to do a lot of things myself. It sounds like you have already made some good changes.

I have never heard of a yogurt maker, sounds neat!

Old 10-14-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Tricuits/Wheat Thins: I buy the all natural versions of them at Trader Joes, they are even cheaper than Triscuits (called Woven Wheat Wafers at TJ's).

Skippy Peanut Butter: Skippy has a natural peanut butter that tastes exactly like the regular formula but without the hydrogenated oil, sugar and other garbage.

Cavit Pinot Grigio: Wine is good for the heart

7-Seasons Italian Salad Dressing: Try Newman's Own Italian dressing, it doesn't contain the chemicals, preservatives, or HFCS.

Stouffer frozen mac and cheese: Make your own. Still fattening but healthier because it is made from natural ingredients.

Stouffer frozen corn souffle: Hmmm, I have never had a corn souffle. Can't help you there.

Totinos frozen pizza: Home made pizza. Cheaper and tastes better, especially if you get a pizza stone.

Banquet frozen chicken divan: Make your own

I by no means am the picture of perfect health. I just try to avoid man made "lab foods" (i.e. hydrogenated oil, natural/artificial flavorings, high fructose corn syrup, etc.), get plenty of whole grains and vegetables in me, and eat fatty foods sparingly. It sounds like your list includes a lot of pre-made/prepackaged processed foods which isn't great and they are usually very high in sodium. It is easy for me to say "make your own" but I love to cook so I make time to do a lot of things myself. It sounds like you have already made some good changes.

What a great list of alternatives- thanks. Actually, we don't even eat those things once a month, I just tried to come up the the things we buy that probably have better alternatives.

Although I enjoy cooking, I doubt that's in the cards due to time constraints. I'll have to see which of those can be frozen. We eat out a lot and get take out. Fortunately, my kids like many of the items at our local healthfood store's deli counter- lots of grain and veggie salads.... and they like coming up with new salad ideas at home.

They like to fix skewers of food to grill- meat, veggies and/or fruit and we have recently broken out our fondue pot and cook in boiling chicken stock (and a little white wine).

But we are far from eating totally healthy...just trying to develop better habits.

Thanks for the great post.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post

heh
Back in my hippie days, I used to just make yogurt in a bowl on top of the refrigerator.
I really need to make my own again. But the last time I tried, it came out too runny.
Quote:
For instance, I posted a thread on Triscuits. Instead of saying all that is wrong with them health-wise, alternatives can be posted here.
Great idea, and a nice alternative to sanctimonious thread-killing.
I make my own lasagne, pizza, chimichangas, a lot of stuff I guess.
I like making my own fish tacos, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach. I like to cook--to a point. I don't attempt my own sushi.
I agree that it's good to try to avoid all that prepared stuff with the extra salt, sugar, oil etc.
My husband used to handmake our flour tortillas, they were so delicious.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:01 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,544 times
I just returned from a 5-day road trip. We didn't eat much fast foods, but I noticed the difference in resturants (and my body). Starting tomorrow. we're eating heathier and eating at home more often. No more processed food - only fresh fruits, veggies and Chicken. No more crap, so to speak. I really noticed it.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:02 PM

Oh, Cil, home made tortillas.....yum. I've only had them once in a restaurant in LA....the only authentic Mexican I have had. My GD and I ate and ate, it was so good.

Paula- It's hard to eat well onthe road. We went to a fall carnival yesterday and ate junk- hotdogs, baked beans, chips, soda, cotton candy....today I have been dragging around. Tomorrow we get on track, as well.

Carrot juice- something I have been buying at Publix, but fresh is almost like a different juice. Got my juicer out tonight and will make it fresh tomorrow morning.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:18 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,090 times
[quote=HIF;1728687]
Chicken and beef broth- used to buy boullion cubes until mad cow and a friend who works for ag department warned against it. Now I buy organic stock.
QUOTE]

Question, what's the problem with boullion cubes?

Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 PM

Well, this was during the mad cow scare. He said that bullion cubes are made with meat stock- scraps of meat. And because the stock is made up of meat from many cows, it increases the chances of contamination. Whereas a steak comes from one cow, so the odds are less that there would be a problem.

I just never went back to them once I tried the organic stock. Which, I am sure, could still pose a problem if mad cow was present.

Anyone have a good alternative to chicken and beef stock for soups and other cooking?

Old 10-14-2007, 09:38 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Well, this was during the mad cow scare. He said that bullion cubes are made with meat stock- scraps of meat. And because the stock is made up of meat from many cows, it increases the chances of contamination. Whereas a steak comes from one cow, so the odds are less that there would be a problem.

I just never went back to them once I tried the organic stock. Which, I am sure, could still pose a problem if mad cow was present.

Anyone have a good alternative to chicken and beef stock for soups and other cooking?
You know I never thought about what buillion cubes were made from I use them a lot to make gravy and in my stews, my grits, and when I make noodles for my daughter Hmmm, I guess that applies to the chicken bouillions as well (i.e. scraps from various chickens?).

Yes please, any alternatives would be welcome

Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Although I poke fun at some of those who feel the need to be thread downers on this forum, taking a positive thread about something someone likes and accusing them of being anti-Christian or morons for liking a particular food, I think it would be helpful, instead, to post your alternatives.

Here are some of the foods that my family eats that probably are on some bad list or other. What are same-type alternatives that I could try? Brand names, please, when possible.

Tricuits!

Wheat Thins

Skippy Peanut Butter (have tried organic and don't care for it)

Cavit Pinot Grigio (Uncle Cavit to some )

7-Seasons Italian Salad Dressing

Stouffer frozen mac and cheese (we add steamed broccoli)

Stouffer frozen corn souffle

Totinos frozen pizza

Banquet frozen chicken divan

I will start with some of the changes that I have made-

Milk, 2%- now only buy organic 2%, which actually tastes more like whole milk. I can't keep it in the house, my kids and I love it.

Eggs- I now buy organic. Taste eggier for breakfast and no dif. in cooking.

Chickens- now buy organic and they roast up much nicer, taste many times better.

Yogurt- so much garbage out there. I've been getting those Activa-types lately for convenience. Also go through a lot of plain yogurt, for cooking and we add fruit for breakfast. But I need to dig out my yogurt maker- so quick and easy and always tastes better.
Here is the list of SAFE foods. It hasn't been updated in a few years but these companies are still around and make great products. Note the good companies are listed next to the bad companies for each food category/link.

True Food Now! (http://www.truefoodnow.org/shoppersguide/guide_printable.html - broken link)

I have seen SAFE TASTY versions wheat thins and Ritz Crackers, Cheese-its or whatever they are and many more. I can't say I've seen a safe version of Triscuits. The Stoned Wheat Thins that I think Pepperidge Farm makes or maybe it is another company, has a safe version.

for Seven SEasons Salad Dressing. How about just making your own with garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil, dill, salt and pepper.

For Stouffers, Try Amy's.

Forget the yogurt unless you want it for a treat. Taking acidophilous by itself is much better for you because you get the health benefits of without having to eat the dairy itself (which is not good for you like most people want to think).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink