U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:33 AM

69,353 posts, read 79,541,504 times

Advertisements

When I was still working my crock pot and i were great friends. Well we still are. I can't remember every having a complete dinner out of a can, but I am sure I am in the minority. I guess a bowl of good quality soup and a grilled cheese or tuna salad would be the way I would go. Or maybe even open a can of salmon and toss it with some noodles or rice. Add a salad and you are set. I have also heard of people making tuna casserole on the stove. Just cook noodles, throw in a can of tuna and a little mayo plus some frozen peas or some other veggie and maybe melt some cheese. It is tasty (I did have it once at a friends) but not something I would do time and time again. Oh I just thought of another one and this we have done: Chili and chips or frito pie, whatver you want to call it. heat up a can of chili, pour over corn chips, all grated cheese, onions and jalapenos if you like them. It is a fun super tasty. Of course kids, including spoiled brat love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 05:58 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,398,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When I was still working my crock pot and i were great friends. Well we still are.

Me, too. I've said it before, but it was great after working all day, then picking up kids at daycare/school, to open the front door & smell dinner already cooked.

I use some canned items, like tuna & soups, & beans sometimes, but ALL of my childhood meals were from cans, so I'm not that enthusiastic. Anybody ever encounter Beefaroni? or Beanie Wienie?

Old 10-24-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Me, too. I've said it before, but it was great after working all day, then picking up kids at daycare/school, to open the front door & smell dinner already cooked.

I use some canned items, like tuna & soups, & beans sometimes, but ALL of my childhood meals were from cans, so I'm not that enthusiastic. Anybody ever encounter Beefaroni? or Beanie Wienie?
When our daughter had 2 young children and was working they depended on ms crock pot a lot or they would order home delivery. OK, not the best idea but better than from a can. Don't even mention Beanie Wienie or Beefaroni. They may have worked for some in college, but that should be the end.

I luckily grew up with parents that loved fresh everything and living in So. Calif. we could get a lot of fresh. I I hardly knew what canned foods were about: I went on to major in foods and nutrision in college and to this day use very few canned products except soups for spoiled brat and tuna plus a few other things.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 AM

1,270 posts, read 1,253,757 times
Agree with the crockpot. Put meat in season, add small amount liquid . Low heat and forget about it. Then either canned or frozen veggies or canned when you get home.
Usually you'll have leftovers for another day.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:40 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,475,083 times
I had BEEF STEW out of a can yesterday

It was OK but was a bit TOO THIN for my liking... (I like thicker texture -- IT ISNT SOUP!!)

Old 10-25-2016, 04:59 AM

30,358 posts, read 31,228,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Since I back in the "work force" I get home too late to make
anything demanding. And the Mrs. isn't always sure of what I might want (ME neither).
So, to the pantry and hohum....hummm: have a scotch and think about the choices.

Canned spaghetti, canned mac/cheese (ugh), spam, hmm, Vienna sausage, chile/beans,
tamales, soup(many kinds), then....Mary Kitchen corned beef hash...
heat that up and add a fried egg...viola .

Hard to bring frozen dinners home; too long of a drive...but now that's it's cold
will stock up on those.

So, do you ever just go with out of the can?

HW
Chunky chicken noodle soup!

Old 10-25-2016, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I had BEEF STEW out of a can yesterday

It was OK but was a bit TOO THIN for my liking... (I like thicker texture -- IT ISNT SOUP!!)
and that is just about what canned stew is: a very expensive can of soup. You could add a little flour and spices; make it like a gravy

Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 AM

11,428 posts, read 13,977,360 times
I use canned Spam for Spam and Eggs or "Spam Moco".

Old 10-25-2016, 05:32 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,852,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When our daughter had 2 young children and was working they depended on ms crock pot a lot or they would order home delivery. OK, not the best idea but better than from a can. Don't even mention Beanie Wienie or Beefaroni. They may have worked for some in college, but that should be the end.

We often have "Beanie Wienie" at least a couple times a month. A can of Bush beans doctored with onions, celery, Cajun power sauce, mustard and a few other spices with some kielbasa or andouille sausage.

If I do not prepare it, my wife will start asking for it.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:40 PM

12,610 posts, read 14,626,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Swansons Chicken ala king out of a can on toast. If you want to dress it up a little you can add a small individual size can of peas and carrots.
I like Swanson's chicken a la king too. Swanson's is one brand that has decent chicken in it's food, not mystery meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink