Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,966,159 times

Advertisements

Since I back in the "work force" I get home too late to make
anything demanding. And the Mrs. isn't always sure of what I might want (ME neither).
So, to the pantry and hohum....hummm: have a scotch and think about the choices.

Canned spaghetti, canned mac/cheese (ugh), spam, hmm, Vienna sausage, chile/beans,
tamales, soup(many kinds), then....Mary Kitchen corned beef hash...
heat that up and add a fried egg...viola .

Hard to bring frozen dinners home; too long of a drive...but now that's it's cold
will stock up on those.

So, do you ever just go with out of the can?

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,717,105 times
On a rare occasion, we might just have canned soup. That's usually on a Sunday night, when my kitchen is otherwise closed.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:27 PM

7,968 posts, read 7,306,129 times
My favorite go-to "canned" dinner: turkey chili, mixed with canned diced tomatoes and corn, heated and served over a bowl of tortilla chips, with some shredded cheddar cheese sprinkled on it.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:29 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,223,069 times
No, we don't do cans here. Even canned soup is too expensive. It is just easier for me to make full meals and then portion them out in containers and freeze. Take a couple out of the freezer the night before and put in fridge & then when you come home, just pop in the microwave.

When all the kids were home and I worked 12 hr. days out of the home the easiest thing was the crock pot. Nothing better then coming home to smell a delicious dinner waiting. kels

Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,087,331 times
I sometimes like those canned ravioli. Chili over hotdogs on a bun, tomato soup served w/grilled cheese sandwiches, I also make a pretty tastey meal with about 3-4 cups cooked egg noodles then mix a large can of creamed chicken soup. Makes a pretty good pot size for dinner.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,466,771 times
Not totally out of a can, but canned chicken ala king over baked puff pastry shells is mighty fine eating to me.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 PM

3,401 posts, read 3,074,157 times
Canned chicken made into a chicken salad on a crescent roll or other bakery roll. (or tuna or salmond salad too)

Tuna or canned chicken over a salad.

Canned Pinto beans heated and over toast....use a bit of that precooked bacon which you buy in a sealed package/ not refrigerated.

Kidney beans with boiled egg (keep a couple in the refrigerator for a couple of days to use during the week), sweet pickles, celery and mayo....can add chopped ham too.

Have three or four scotch drinks and you won't care what you eat....just keep the cat food in a different place!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:26 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,106,589 times
Tomato soup and chili are about the only foods that I'll eat straight from the can. Everything else I buy in cans are ingredients to go in recipes.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Since I back in the "work force" I get home too late to make
anything demanding. And the Mrs. isn't always sure of what I might want (ME neither).
So, to the pantry and hohum....hummm: have a scotch and think about the choices.

Canned spaghetti, canned mac/cheese (ugh), spam, hmm, Vienna sausage, chile/beans,
tamales, soup(many kinds), then....Mary Kitchen corned beef hash...
heat that up and add a fried egg...viola .

Hard to bring frozen dinners home; too long of a drive...but now that's it's cold
will stock up on those.

So, do you ever just go with out of the can?

HW
No matter how much some of us like to cook and like to do most everything from scratch, I think we all do the "out of a can" once in awhile. Most of what you are mentioning, no, we do not eat, but we do the canned soup routine or canned chile every so often..I am more apt to have dinner out of the freezer than out of a can. The two meals that come to mind: tuna salad in the summer and what we used to call frito pie. It is chile poured over chips with onions, melted cheese and jalapenos. I guess most of us have had this at our kids ball games, if no where else. It makes a good summer dish.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM

20,833 posts, read 28,159,703 times
canned beans, canned veggies and canned soups once in awhile. Canned meals are too salty. I had not had chef boyardee raviloi's in a long time so 2 years ago I bought a can. Yuck! tasted like crud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink