Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your meat prepared/cooked?
Well done 8 15.38%
Medium - well 4 7.69%
Medium 9 17.31%
Medium - rare 19 36.54%
Rare 7 13.46%
I'm a vegetarian - so, then, WTH are you answering? 0 0%
Other / explain 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
No, Robert, I find it's just the opposite - when meat, beef especially, is cooked until it is gray all the way through, it needs Worcestershire or A-1 Sauce to give it a little flavor, since it hasn't any of its own. Oh, and you need to have a really good set of choppers to chew that overcooked piece of shoe leather.

Growing up, I was less than privileged to live with a step-Mother whose philosophy was, "Cook it 'til it hollers help." When I had my first taste of rare, I swooned. I certainly recognize the value of a fragrant, lovingly done pot roast. That particular dish is good on a cold winter night. But the very fact of the long wet cooking process makes it fall-apart easy to eat. It takes flavor from the vegetables and moisture from the gravy. Other than that...

May I suggest you have your next steak or roast done medium rare or medium, put on a blindfold and try a bite. For most people, it's the idea of the pink that turns them off.
The bolded was my mother's philosophy as well. Any meat that she made, well, even fish, was cooked almost to jerky-like texture. I always had to slather it with something, because it was tasteless and a chore to chew. With medium-rare beef, I find that I don't have to drown it in anything because it's tasty all on it's own.

I think I posted in another thread here that I thought I hated pork until a few years ago, when someone had me try a piece that was marinated in lime, garlic, soy sauce, and garlic. Marinade aside, I couldn't believe it when she told me it was pork because all of my life prior I thought it tasted like a dog's chew toy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
NEVER order any meat from a restaurant that is well done. Chefs hate you, and will give you the worst, and oldest piece of meat from their pantry because you won't notice the difference while you're eating your shoe leather.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Steak and premium roast I like medium rare, meaning cooked just to the point that the interior texture changes from that of raw meat. Hot and fast, preferably with a great crust. Smoking roast, like brisket, and 'pot roasts' are good medium. Burgers are good medium, especially my own with freshly ground sirloin. Pork should be medium well - only slightly pink. I don't get the folks who say they like pork "medium rare" anymore than I get the folks who say they like steak "well done". Chicken should ALWAYS be cooked through. Tuna I like seared rare. Salmon cooked through.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Steak and premium roast I like medium rare, meaning cooked just to the point that the interior texture changes from that of raw meat. Hot and fast, preferably with a great crust. Smoking roast, like brisket, and 'pot roasts' are good medium. Burgers are good medium, especially my own with freshly ground sirloin. Pork should be medium well - only slightly pink. I don't get the folks who say they like pork "medium rare" anymore than I get the folks who say they like steak "well done". Chicken should ALWAYS be cooked through. Tuna I like seared rare. Salmon cooked through.
Brisket cooked to a good medium? I would think, know, that would be hard to eat...ie very tough. I've found brisket needs cooked to about 190*-205* to be tender. But that is on a smoker.

pork raised in our back yard, always cooked well done. Raised in our finishing barns, med rare-med.

Chicken, just cooked to 165 then rest under a foil tent.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Brisket cooked to a good medium? I would think, know, that would be hard to eat...ie very tough. I've found brisket needs cooked to about 190*-205* to be tender. But that is on a smoker.

pork raised in our back yard, always cooked well done. Raised in our finishing barns, med rare-med.

Chicken, just cooked to 165 then rest under a foil tent.
You may very well be right. Brisket is the one thing I spoke of that I don't and have never cooked. But when I purchase quality roast beef or beef for bbq, it's typically slightly pinkish. Perhaps smoking itself imparts a pinkish color and the meat is done more than I realize?

Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
You may very well be right. Brisket is the one thing I spoke of that I don't and have never cooked. But when I purchase quality roast beef or beef for bbq, it's typically slightly pinkish. Perhaps smoking itself imparts a pinkish color and the meat is done more than I realize?
No, you are right.....just wrong cut of meat. Roast beef can come from different cuts but typically from the shoulder/chuck. smoked meat usually has a "smoke ring" that is pink on the outside edge(not actually smoke but a chemical reaction) and not in the middle.

Now a cured brisket, corned beef/pastrami, will be red/pink all the way through. That is brisket but it is also cooked/smoked to a higher internal temp, say 180-200...the way we do it anyway.

I've cooked brisket before to about 160-165(internal temp). not good.

But there may be a way to cook it to 135-140 and it not be so tough. I just don't know of anyone who has done that.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:17 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
I love steaks rare to medium rare. Burgers, I like medium to medium well. All other meats and fish, I want well done. Not dried out, shoe leather done, like my mom cooked, but just done through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink