U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 AM

27,996 posts, read 46,373,100 times

Advertisements

In an age of vitamin waters and energy drinks, the decadeslong decline in U.S. milk consumption has accelerated, worrying dairy farmers, milk processors and grocery chains.

The industry "is coming to recognize this as a crisis," says Tom Gallagher, CEO of Dairy Management Inc., a farmer-funded trade group that promotes milk products. "We cannot simply assume that we will always have a market."

America's Milk Business Is In a 'Crisis' - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 AM

20,208 posts, read 28,270,034 times
I would also attribute it to the Health Nazis who have proclaimed that anything with a fat content above 1% is unacceptable and should be avoided in favor of such "natural" beverages as the vitamin waters and energy drinks, or alternatives perceived to be healthier (Soy for instance) which upon further investigation really are worse. Americans seem to thrive on bastardizing food items until it no longer resembles the original incarnation or find a way to deem it unhealthy, only to come full circle eventually to discover it's really not that bad in it's original state. Hopefully milk/dairy products move through that process sooner than later for the sake of the farmers/producers.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM

2,535 posts, read 4,499,788 times
Maybe if they removed all these ridiculous processing laws and let people buy directly from the farmer we wouldn't have these problems.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Maybe if they removed all these ridiculous processing laws and let people buy directly from the farmer we wouldn't have these problems.
I agree with this. Whatever that stuff is in the plastic cartons, it is not milk! I remember what milk in a carton tasted and smelled like in the 60's and I have had fresh milk and that stuff in the store isn't milk! We make fresh almond milk and avoid other dairy products. Seriously, I remember when milk and cottage cheese lasted like 3 days in the frig and now it last for 3 weeks or is it months now. Get Uncle Sam out of the milk business!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM

277 posts, read 392,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
They tried that in several cities. The farmers started making money and they put a bunch of bureaucratic laws and red tape that caused the milkmen to raise their price and pay severely high taxes. They also made distribution difficult.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM

2,535 posts, read 4,499,788 times
Ridiculous. A friend of mine was traveling in Europe last month. when she came home she told me the milk was the best she had ever had in her life. I asked her if it had cream on top. It did. Just plain old fresh milk. You have to sneak around like a drug dealer to get that stuff in the US.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 PM

277 posts, read 392,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I agree with this. Whatever that stuff is in the plastic cartons, it is not milk! I remember what milk in a carton tasted and smelled like in the 60's and I have had fresh milk and that stuff in the store isn't milk! We make fresh almond milk and avoid other dairy products. Seriously, I remember when milk and cottage cheese lasted like 3 days in the frig and now it last for 3 weeks or is it months now. Get Uncle Sam out of the milk business!
Yup. Milk texture and taste is watery today. Milk use to be a tad bit "thick" with a creamy taste to it. I'm not a milk drinker but I remember what milk looked liked and tasted like and it wouldn't last one week even with preservatives.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 PM

501 posts, read 1,066,849 times
I don't drink it because I haven't liked the taste for quite a long time. The taste of plain milk is just not the same as it was when I was growing up.

I do still use whole milk in lattes, that is whenever I don't feel like making my own almond milk. It isn't hard to make, but sometimes I just am not able to spare the time to do so (if we are traveling or have a ton of things to get done).

Last edited by sugarsugar; 12-13-2012 at 10:03 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 PM

17,999 posts, read 17,159,915 times
I used to love milk before I found out I was allergic to it---wondered what was causing those headaches and the stuffy nose. I remember real milk that came in glass bottles--yum.

Most of today's milk contains hormones that aren't good for you, especially for women because they raise the levels of estrogen and that can cause breast cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or