Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
Yes gasp we eat at chain restaurants and enjoy it. Our cholesterol levels are perfect no health problems and we've eaten at chain restaurants for years. We like not having to cook and clean and having no distractions from the tv, etc.
I do not criticize others for their choices even though I do wonder about all the money spent on organic foods really is it that much better? Some studies say no. We were blessed to be born with good genes no history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc. I think this makes a huge difference. Know many "healthy eaters" who have more health problems that us chain restaurant eaters consuming all that horrible food.
You're right - and besides that, it's also possible in nearly every case to choose healthy entrees from chain restaurants.

As for organic foods, most studies show that the vitamin and mineral content of organic foods is about the same as non organic foods. But to give you some insight, one reason why many people buy organic foods is because they are not treated with synthetic chemicals or additives or hormones (gotta read the label to be sure of that last one). So it's what we're NOT getting that's just as important to us as what we ARE getting.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
I hope the people the OP interviews answers like this.

"Normally, I cook at home, I probably cook to your standards even on my very stict budget, but you see, my mother just died of cancer at the hospital up the road. We had been at the hospital for 12 hours and now really needed something to eat before we made the 5 hour trip home. This was close and all we could afford." or........

(tears in kids eyes) "We saved up for three months so we could take out our Mom out to dinner. She works hard and cooks for us all the time. She deserved a break. Did we do something wrong?"

Be careful when you judge.

Myself? I cook all week long, I like cooking and matter of fact I was up until 11pm last night making banana nut bread. I can cook and I cook very well but sometimes human interaction and taking a break is better than homemade.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I can. There are plenty of good, independent restaurants that serve better food.

But I did just realize that this thread is addressing "non-restaurant-goers"!
Yep. Hey, I would have to have a gun to my head to eat at a chain restaurant.

But really, this thread is just a bunch of food snobs standing around and validating each other.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
I'm just sitting here marvelling that a poster here posseses such poor "judgement" that they feel restaurant selection is a meaningful basis on which to "judge" "judgement." Self righteous, blithering fools abound.

I don't prefer to spend my $50 including tax and tip at a corporate owned chain location. I'd rather give it to an independently owned store... but don't kid yourselves that many of the small places don't have a Sysco truck pulled up to the back once a week. If there aren't many tables, and the place isn't cranking, and the menu isn't small... they aren't doing every single item from scratch.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 AM

Hey, get this.

I went to SONIC the other day. I ordered a BURGER. I ate it in my CAR.

Am I going to hell?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
I'm just sitting here marvelling that a poster here posseses such poor "judgement" that they feel restaurant selection is a meaningful basis on which to "judge" "judgement." Self righteous, blithering fools abound.

I don't prefer to spend my $50 including tax and tip at a corporate owned chain location. I'd rather give it to an independently owned store... but don't kid yourselves that many of the small places don't have a Sysco truck pulled up to the back once a week. If there aren't many tables, and the place isn't cranking, and the menu isn't small... they aren't doing every single item from scratch.
Exactly. The whole OP is pretty incoherent. As in, "Let's make fun of the hoi polloi because I can...I don't really need a reason."

I'm pretty lucky to live in a mid-sized city that has a killer restaurant scene. There are several Beard finalist restaurants within a couple of miles of my house AND I can actually score a reservation without having to call weeks ahead. I realize that a Beard finalist doesn't necessarily constitute the be-all end-all of restaurateurs, but it's still some kind of indication of quality. Plus plenty of other choices abound that make it onto the Zagat survey, as well as the pages of Gourmet and garner the occasional mention in the NYT.

But there are all kinds of small- and mid-sized cities and towns that simply do not have a mature restaurant scene. So if a husband and wife actually want to enjoy a night out away from the kids or are just too tired to cook, then an Applebee's or a Chili's or some other chain restaurant might be the only thing they've got. What's more, when someone goes off on a couple because they might want to spend a whopping $30 on a night out, then the condescension has just gotten too thick to stir with a stick.

Shame on you, you bunch of arrogant snobs.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
I do not criticize others for their choices even though I do wonder about all the money spent on organic foods really is it that much better? Some studies say no.
Not to derail the thread further but check out who funded those studies...corporate agricultural interests.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I read the first two pages and the last 2. Sorry, I don't have the time to catch up on 10 pages right now.

My wife is an amazing cook. She blows me away with the stuff she cooks. And we got out to eat at least once a week.
Why?
Here's my yesterday. I go to work. Wife goes to work. Nanny comes to watch son. I come home from work @ 5:15. I play with my son. Wife comes home @ 6:30. Says "Hi" to son. Goes straight to the kitchen. I am still playing with son.
Spends the next 45-60 minutes cooking (some times much less if she used the crock pot that day). It's now 7:30, some times 8:00!!!! by the time we sit down and eat, aka the first time my wife has sat down today.
Once in awhile I will cook, but I am not good at it, I freely admit.
Then I will cloean up while she spends time with the kid. Now it's time for bed.
So at least once a week, if not TWICE (omg the horror) I like to take my wife and son out to eat.
Frees up a lot of our time and is fun! and not to mention my kid has amazing restaurant manners.
And one last thing, did you ever think maybe, just maybe those people eating out HAVE MONEY? It's a waste of my money? Pet Peeve #231, people that don't know my situation telling me I am wasting my money.
I am putting a lot of money away for college and my retirement and I STILL have A LOT of disposable income. So, don't worry abut how I spend my money, okay?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Exactly. The whole OP is pretty incoherent. As in, "Let's make fun of the hoi polloi because I can...I don't really need a reason."

I'm pretty lucky to live in a mid-sized city that has a killer restaurant scene. There are several Beard finalist restaurants within a couple of miles of my house AND I can actually score a reservation without having to call weeks ahead. I realize that a Beard finalist doesn't necessarily constitute the be-all end-all of restaurateurs, but it's still some kind of indication of quality. Plus plenty of other choices abound that make it onto the Zagat survey, as well as the pages of Gourmet and garner the occasional mention in the NYT.

But there are all kinds of small- and mid-sized cities and towns that simply do not have a mature restaurant scene. So if a husband and wife actually want to enjoy a night out away from the kids or are just too tired to cook, then an Applebee's or a Chili's or some other chain restaurant might be the only thing they've got. What's more, when someone goes off on a couple because they might want to spend a whopping $30 on a night out, then the condescension has just gotten too thick to stir with a stick.

Shame on you, you bunch of arrogant snobs.
Right ON.

So WHAT if some people like Red Lobster or Chilis? I wonder if it ever occurs to people that maybe those who go there aren't going there for "authentic seafood" or "ambiance?" They have their own reasons for going there that are perfectly valid and furthermore, they don't owe anyone an explanation. I bet they would roll their eyes at some of the pretention that's so apparent on this thread.

You know what? I know good seafood when I taste it - I lived for many years right on the Chesapeake Bay and I've eaten more terrific seafood than most people ever have the opportunity to enjoy. But I go to Red Lobster sometimes - actually probably 6 times a year. I go because my husband loves their shrimp feast. I don't LOVE Red Lobster, but I do love my husband so I go with a great attitude and we have a terrific time together. I get to enjoy their cheddar biscuits and their bleu cheese dressing on a fresh salad, and I can always find SOMETHING on the menu that's decent. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying some of the best company in the world.

Is my husband low class for liking Red Lobster's shrimp feast? Am I less than discriminating, or compromising my values somehow, by accompanying this knuckle dragging, unsophisticated man to such an establishment? OH the HORROR! THE HUMANITY!

My husband is an excellent chef. He enjoys outfitting our kitchen with the latest and greatest utensils and appliances - and we use them. He's educated, well spoken, and has traveled to over 40 countries (and eaten in all of them) in his lifetime.

He doesn't owe ANYONE an explanation and he doesn't give a damn if someone thinks he's unsophisticated because he enjoys a meal at Red Lobster. I can assure you of this.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 AM

747 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Well all i ever do is eat out, every day of my life. I don't care about the money, to me it's worth it to eat some of my favorite foods! Love me some olive garden Alfredo, red lobster cheesy biscuits, and O'charlies pizza pasta! Yummy, my mouth is watering now! In fact i'm getting O'charlies pizza pasta today, with a order of fries. I've tried Alfredo lots of different places, but can never find any or even cook any as good as olive gardens, especially them bread sticks. Admittedly seafood is best at the beach, red lobster don't have anything on that but them cheesy biscuits, I only go there to get those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink