Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I made a delicious baked ham and our usual sides I could make in my sleep. I decided my starch would be a cold broccoli and pasta salad with cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. The dressing was 3 T dijon mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil, 3 cloves of garlic, lemon juice, S&P. It was way too mustardy tasting even when I kept adding sugar so right before serving I threw it away and tossed with italian dressing. That was delicious.
Usually when I make a cold pasta salad I like to put the dressing on and let it sit in the fridge several hours. So glad I didn't do this with this dressing I tried to make. I'm sure nobody would have liked it.

So did you try something new which didn't work out as you had hoped?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Luckily everything I did this year turned out very edible, except the prime rib was a little overdone. I knew it as the time, but could not do much about it cause I had to get the chicken breast, for my granddaughter grilled..We did have disaster though: on Christmas eve our daughter made chicken and dumplins. Everything went fine, the chicken was cooked, she only uses breasts, so she pulled the meat off the breast, and put it back in the crock pot with the biscuits to make the dumplings. About 1/2 hour later, we decided to start eating so we could get to the presents. Right away we all noticed the dumplings hadn't cooked and the chicken was just luck warm...The outlet had decided to go out and none of us knew it, so nothing was heating. Thank god for micros, but it really wasn't nearly as good. Then to add insult to injury, after our son in law flipped the circuit breaker, we all retired to the living room, did our gift exchange, said good night and some of us headed home. Our daughter forgot to unplug the crock pot. Well, I guess the dumplings were finally cooked yesterday morning, so cooked she had to throw everything out...

Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,556 times
We had a buffet type luncheon at my daughter's house. We put a small 10 pound turkey on but that dang thing wouldn't get done. When we thought it was done, we started carving it, but the legs weren't done. So we cut it all off, and put broth on the carved turkey and put it back in for a while longer. Finally....done and we could eat. We later found the oven wasn't regulating right...no wonder part of the time the oven was shutting off.

But everything else was just wonderful.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Oh no..both those stories make me realize my little bit of dressing disaster was no biggie. Who would stop to think an oven or outlet wasn't working? Glad you both went on to have a good time.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:04 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I made a delicious baked ham and our usual sides I could make in my sleep. I decided my starch would be a cold broccoli and pasta salad with cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. The dressing was 3 T dijon mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil, 3 cloves of garlic, lemon juice, S&P. It was way too mustardy tasting even when I kept adding sugar so right before serving I threw it away and tossed with italian dressing. That was delicious.
Usually when I make a cold pasta salad I like to put the dressing on and let it sit in the fridge several hours. So glad I didn't do this with this dressing I tried to make. I'm sure nobody would have liked it.

I think adding sugar was the wrong correction. I would have added another half cup of olive oil and some more lemon juice and then check to see if it was still too mustardy. Glad you were able to save the salad though!

Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:

I make that type of salad with Italian dressing every now and again - everyone seem to like it. The mustard dressing sounds more like something I might use on baked chicken breast - I'll bet it would be tasty.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
The only thing that happened to me was after I baked my gouda bread in the tube pan I did not let it cool enough before unmolding it and it broke in half. It was still delicious though.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:

I always use bottled Italian dressing for my pasta salads. I bet that dijon dressing would be good on pork or chicken.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:41 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
The meats all turned out perfectly cooked. So no failures, just other failures to launch. I made some scrumptious mascarpone cheese (so easy, how do stores charge so much?) for tiramisu and didn't have the kitchen available. But we had a dense cheesecake that itself only got half-eaten, it was so rich. There are literally gallons of wines and various fine spirits plus other soft beverages. Cheeses, cream, butter, lettuces, mushrooms--tons of stuff that just didn't get used as planned. I'm quick to add my household is and will probably always be a modest one, so I'm both aware and grateful for the blessings of plenty.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
I made sausage balls for the first and last time. Noone seemed to care for them and the bottoms came out too well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink