Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I have enjoyed her shows for some time and I have looked up her family online but there are still some questions I have.

She talks about The Lodge all the time. Is that a central location for the big family or where she and her family live? Seems like she is always carting food all over the ranch and I can't figure out where she cooks and lives. In a repeat episode I just watched she made 2 meat loaves and potatoes- one meal to take to Cowboy Josh who lives on the ranch and one to "take" to her family which makes me think the lodge is not her home. It would drive me crazy to prepare a meal in one kitchen and then have topack it all up to carry to another location but i guess the MILLION DOLLARS her blog brought in last year makes it worth while.

Last edited by Beretta; 12-30-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Mod: Please move if you think this belongs in celebrities or TV but i think the Food Community would know the answers to my questions

i have enjoyed her shows for some time and I have looked up her family online but there are still some questions I have.

She talks about The Lodge all the time. Is that a central location for the big family or where she and her family live? Seems like she is always carting food all over the ranch and I can't figure out where she cooks and lives. In a repeat episode I just watched she made 2 meat loaves and potatoes- one meal to take to Cowboy Josh who lives on the ranch and one to "take" to her family which makes me think the lodge is not her home. It would drive me crazy to prepare a meal in one kitchen and then have topack it all up to carry to another location but i guess the MILLION DOLLARS her blog brought in last year makes it worth while.
I have been following her since her first year of blogging. First of all, do you read her blog? All of the answers to the questions you ask are on her blog. The Lodge is on their ranch. It was an old home and they did a major renovation on it. It is a central place to gather for the extended family and for the groups that come to stay with her or that have won a contest, etc. Cowboy Josh lives in their ranch in a small home that was shown on her tv show. He is a trusted ranch hand that is part of the family. The money that she has made from her blog, books, tv show, etc is large I am sure but her husbands family has been wealthy for generations. His family is the largest private landowner in the state of Oklahoma. She does do some of her cooking, baking, blog and pictures from her main house. It's a smaller kitchen made just for their family. Hope this helps.

You can read about the Lodge here: (scroll down the page for all of the posts) http://thepioneerwoman.com/?s=The+Lodge&submit=

Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Thanks so much. I knew about his family as I used to live in OK City but I couldn't find out anything about the lodge from my reading. I've tried some of her recipes and I really like them.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Thanks so much. I knew about his family as I used to live in OK City but I couldn't find out anything about the lodge from my reading. I've tried some of her recipes and I really like them.
I love her salsa recipe, it's the only one I ever make now.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
I love her recipes but I can't make them often due to how unhealthy they can be.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
I have enjoyed her shows for some time and I have looked up her family online but there are still some questions I have.

It is not uncommon on ranches and large farms for the farm wife to prepare a large meal. Half of the meal is served to the family who is at the farm house. The rest is taken to the men in the fields and the various field hands. Remember that when you are doing field work, you get a whole lot more done if everyone stays put as opposed to going off-site to be fed.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 PM

38,885 posts, read 22,870,508 times
I enjoy reading her blog. My sisters are big fans of hers and they cook many of her recipes. I've tried her spaghetti and eggs Benedict, and they're both really delicious, if prepared properly, of course. She had some back-to-back shows yesterday morning and I watched them all, since I had never seen them before. As someone else mentioned, a great many of her recipes aren't the healthiest...but they certainly look good on TV when she makes them!

Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 AM

I've found her husband's attitude about wine (he doesn't like it) and meat and potatoes to be typical for men in that part of the country. My father was raised on a ranch in oklahoma and he definitely insisted on a piece of meat, potatoes, bread and a salad. My mother always told me "men don't like casseroles" based solely on her own experience cooking for my father. Consequently she rarely tried anything new and her cooking for boring. I am completely self taught and my kids have grown up eating all sorts of interesting vegetables and foods.

I never even saw broccoli until I was grown. I once cooked a delicious chicken, rice and broccoli casserole for my parents and my mother warned me Daddy wouldn't even try it cause it was different. he loved it and asked mama to fix it for him. She was furious at both of us for days!

Another piece of bad advice my mother gave me :" Don't ever touch a boy on the leg" But that is a topic for another day and forum.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I love her recipes but I can't make them often due to how unhealthy they can be.
like most of the good TV cooks, we are not going to stay healthy if we use their recipes daily, but they aren't designed for that...I have learned to enjoy many of the recipes from many of the chefs but I keep them down to once or twice a week at the most...

Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
I've found her husband's attitude about wine (he doesn't like it) and meat and potatoes to be typical for men in that part of the country. My father was raised on a ranch in oklahoma and he definitely insisted on a piece of meat, potatoes, bread and a salad. My mother always told me "men don't like casseroles" based solely on her own experience cooking for my father. Consequently she rarely tried anything new and her cooking for boring. I am completely self taught and my kids have grown up eating all sorts of interesting vegetables and foods.

I never even saw broccoli until I was grown. I once cooked a delicious chicken, rice and broccoli casserole for my parents and my mother warned me Daddy wouldn't even try it cause it was different. he loved it and asked mama to fix it for him. She was furious at both of us for days!

Another piece of bad advice my mother gave me :" Don't ever touch a boy on the leg" But that is a topic for another day and forum.
sounds like my mother and father in law. They were raised in WV, on large farms early in the last century. She wasn't a bad cook at all, but a boring one and not only,did she never try much new, she used almost no spices, cooked pretty much only what my father in law liked or what her only child, spoiled brat liked. When I married spoiled brat he was very picky, now there are only about 3 or 4 things he won't eat..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink