Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:17 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,341,983 times

Advertisements

Just made a big ole pot of Great Northern Beans with onion & Ham Hock.. My question is can you freeze the beans. If so how long in the freezer. Been awhile since I made beans..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 05:15 PM

16,348 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Just made a big ole pot of Great Northern Beans with onion & Ham Hock.. My question is can you freeze the beans. If so how long in the freezer. Been awhile since I made beans..

I freeze all kinds of bean soup when we have it left over. it does not affect the quality much.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,104,357 times
I donno about great northern, but I used to fix pinto, but took them up just as they started to get soft to freeze them. If I waited until they got done, they got mushy when I thawed them. I always made enough to eat and enough to freeze. I took out what I intended to freeze and let what I wanted to eat immediately cook until done.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I freeze all kinds of bean soup when we have it left over. it does not affect the quality much.
I take about a 1/2 cup and run it through a hand blender then add too the rest as a thickener..Been so long since I made beans I can't remeber what I did. I have enough for small army..

Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason's daughter View Post
I dunno about great northern, but I used to fix pinto, but took them up just as they started to get soft to freeze them. If I waited until they got done, they got mushy when I thawed them. I always made enough to eat and enough to freeze. I took out what I intended to freeze and let what I wanted to eat immediately cook until done.
They will only be frozen for a couple weeks.. Been awhile and I could not remember if they came out flat and grainy.. It's worth a test too see what happens..

Old 01-01-2013, 06:38 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,644,620 times
Default Mountain strawberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I donno about great northern, but I used to fix pinto, but took them up just as they started to get soft to freeze them. If I waited until they got done, they got mushy when I thawed them. I always made enough to eat and enough to freeze. I took out what I intended to freeze and let what I wanted to eat immediately cook until done.
Went to college and lived in Kentucky for 17 years. Travelled eastern Kentucky for a number of those in my sales rep job. I always heard that in eastern Kentucky and Tennessee, Pintos were called "mountain strawberries" and a "Georgia Sunday" was grits in a bowl with a fried egg dropped on it!

I'm a huge bean fan (beano, too!) including pintos, northern, kidney, limas, and anasazi (popular in the far west). But I've never, ever frozen any!

So those of you who do this, please post your results.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
I have frozen the large limas before.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:15 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,941,428 times
Not a problem at all. I ran a small coffeehouse for several years. Used to make big enough batches of soup for 2-3 lunch hours, serving some, freezing the rest. Never an issue with any bean, and we used to go through a lot of cannellini and great northern for Italian soups.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 AM

What Are the Benefits of Great Northern Beans? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,193,666 times
Default Rule of My Thumb

Uncooked ingredients like beans, no, but any cooked food should be OK. Freezing will turn moisture to ice crystals which explode cell membranes and break food down. Dried beans should keep forever almost. Its dried to keep. Eventually insects will invade that stuff in the cup board tho'.

Just remember plastic is NOT a vapor barrier. If you freeze bread, for example, I quadruple bag it in plastic shoppers tote bags. The fridge constantly re-circulates air in it to eliminate frost. It will freezer burn your food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink