Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 05:39 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am smiling now because I do remember actually plucking the chickens after my aunt wrung their necks. That was so many years ago. Now, back to the processed food question, maybe we are getting a little too technical. I originally wasn't thinking canned tomato sauce, cheese, milk, etc. but more boxed, easy to fix foods or frozen heat and eat.
But you were the one who put the canned tomato products on your list, then told everyone about canning your own instead.

Something I actually would never do even if I were a canner because I don't want mushy unripe or overripe tomatoes with no flavor when I can have perfect ones from the store. I think you have to taste every single tomato to see if it passes the test at the end of the year.

This explains why chefs often use canned tomato products in cooking in lieu of fresh.

Maybe it all boils down to what you're used to eating and grew up with.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-17-2016 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 08:22 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I forgot to mention that I am currently on a frozen breakfast sandwich kick, which are super processed. (So salty.)

Old 04-17-2016, 09:29 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I forgot to mention that I am currently on a frozen breakfast sandwich kick, which are super processed. (So salty.)
I've never heard of a frozen breakfast sandwich. But I sure don't make my breakfast from scratch! Cereal and almond milk (dairy allergy) or eggs (I don't raise the hens) or skip breakfast entirely (which is not good.)

Not criticizing you, lol, because yesterday, although I get sick from dairy products, I devoured a pint of Haagen Das ice cream. Not made from scratch, of course. Sometimes we eat junk out of frustration with our day--like when we've just had a bad day.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:43 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I make lots of foods from scratch. I had peach coffee cake for breakfast. Made from scratch, in as much as it the ingredients came from my pantry, fridge, and freezer rather than from a box. Eggs, flour, butter, sugar, sliced peaches (I froze them from last summer's harvest), cinnamon, lemon, etc. Today, I'm making banana bread with some over-ripe bananas, which we'll eat with a scrambled egg or two Monday/Tuesday. I'll make either waffles or zucchini muffins for Wednesday/Thursday breakfasts. Friday/Saturday Scotch oats with berry & nut topping. Maybe refrigerator oats with chia seeds and berries, depending on what we have going on this weekend. Next up will be mini cheese quiches. Of all the meals we eat, breakfast is the least likely to come straight out of a box.

The processed foods we eat are mostly ingredients, like canned tomatoes, dried pasta, or flaked tuna in a pouch, rather than prepared meals, like breakfast sandwiches, or mixes, like Bisquik. Except for the emergency Annie's Shells & Cheese, which has a permanent spot in the pantry for my kids, who love the stuff. I don't understand it at all, but I'm not going to argue with them about it.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I make lots of foods from scratch. I had peach coffee cake for breakfast. Made from scratch, in as much as it the ingredients came from my pantry, fridge, and freezer rather than from a box. Eggs, flour, butter, sugar, sliced peaches (I froze them from last summer's harvest), cinnamon, lemon, etc. Today, I'm making banana bread with some over-ripe bananas, which we'll eat with a scrambled egg or two Monday/Tuesday. I'll make either waffles or zucchini muffins for Wednesday/Thursday breakfasts. Friday/Saturday Scotch oats with berry & nut topping. Maybe refrigerator oats with chia seeds and berries, depending on what we have going on this weekend. Next up will be mini cheese quiches. Of all the meals we eat, breakfast is the least likely to come straight out of a box.
That's great, sounds yummy. And thanks for reminding me--I've GOT to make banana bread today. The bananas will rot if I don't do it soon.

I used to make a batch of quick mix (flour, baking soda, sugar, dried milk, etc) and keep it in a big jar. Then I'd just add egg or water, oil and vary it a little to turn it into pancakes, waffles, muffins, whatever. Must start doing that again, then making banana bread would only take a few seconds!

Old 04-17-2016, 11:24 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've never heard of a frozen breakfast sandwich.
Like this: https://www.specialk.com/en_US/produ...-sandwich.html

Old 04-17-2016, 02:50 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
One important thing is more process than recipe. I like to run whole canned tomatoes through a food mill before I start (or do it in the Cuisinart). Not the finest setting. I don't usually buy San Marzano, FWIW; I find any tomato made by Cento is excellent, and they're usually cheaper than most San Marzano.

For one 28 oz. can, I chop a red onion, a carrot and a celery stick into 1/4" dice. Slowly saute soffritto in olive oil, covered, until onion is translucent. I add the tomatoes and simmer slowly until the vegetables don't have much texture left. It usually takes about 1/2 hour-45 minutes.

If I add wine, which I generally don't, I do it between the soffritto and the tomatoes, letting the alcohol really render its alcohol before adding tomatoes. I like either white or red, and I don't use more than 1/2 a cup.

Taste for salt and sugar; adjust as needed. I don't usually put pepper in this, but pepperoncini are nice if you like it a little hot. Add it early, with the soffritto.

I like this with cavatappi. Or else ravioli or tortelloni (larger than tortellini) you buy at the store. Or chicken rollatini. Whichever you choose, serve with plenty of freshly-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (as essential, IMO, as the sauce). And you can chop some fresh basil to serve it with. One thing I never do with tomato sauce: no dried herbs, ever. They are almost always the thing I don't like when I don't like a sauce, especially dried basil.

My other basic tomato sauce recipe is Marcella Hazan's Tomato, Butter, and Onion sauce, which is easily googled.

Good luck.
OK I will give it a try.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:14 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I used to make a batch of quick mix (flour, baking soda, sugar, dried milk, etc) and keep it in a big jar. Then I'd just add egg or water, oil and vary it a little to turn it into pancakes, waffles, muffins, whatever. Must start doing that again, then making banana bread would only take a few seconds!
That's a really great idea! I have 3 blackening bananas on my counter right now I apparently ignored for days.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's a really great idea! I have 3 blackening bananas on my counter right now I apparently ignored for days.
OMG, I am now EATING the banana bread. Still warm from the oven. Get going--it's worth it!

Old 04-17-2016, 05:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
But you were the one who put the canned tomato products on your list, then told everyone about canning your own instead.

Something I actually wou
Spoiler
Spoiler
ld never do even if I were a canner because I don't want mushy unripe or overripe tomatoes with no flavor when I can have perfect ones from the store. I think you have to taste every single tomato to see if it passes the test at the end
of the year.

This explains why chefs often use canned tomato products in cooking in lieu of fresh.

Maybe it all boils down to what you're used to eating and grew up with.
you are right, but didn't I mention I only use canned when I run out of my home made? I think I may a reference to being down to only a jar or so right now. I am not sure what your point is? It really makes no difference what we call processed, we are just having fun with the tread I hope. It appears everyone thinks of processed foods in a different way. Wouldn't you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink