U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 AM

3,998 posts, read 8,802,662 times

Advertisements

Beware! I bought a Kirkland stir fry veggie mix at Coscto and was shocked to see that some of the veggies in it were from China .

I won't eat veggies (or anything else) from China so I returned it. They weren't too pleased and it's the first time that Costco's return dept. ever gave me flack. They did return them though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,613,166 times
Read before you buy. No shock there.

Lots of things in Costco and every other store in America are made in China and lots of other countries.

Based on your reaction I'd imagine you've been eating lots of things from other countries including China without realizing it.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,926,325 times
Interesting. I don't get my frozen veggies from Costco but I'll make it a point to check the bags anyway.

I got a bag of chestnuts from Costco and noticed that those came from China.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 PM

10,453 posts, read 5,941,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Lots of things in Costco and every other store in America are made in China and lots of other countries.

Based on your reaction I'd imagine you've been eating lots of things from other countries including China without realizing it.
There used to be a time when it was just equipment type stuff and clothes but over the years it expanded to toys for kids, dog food/treats and then human food/drink items. I've recently seen some kind of water/soda pop (grocery store) and some kind of dehydrated fruit (noticed in bin at a book store) with the "Made in China".

Don't get too comfortable knowing that the items you've been buying in the past were from the US because that's not always going to be true either. Also, I've noticed in pet stores that while the majority of a specific name is made in the US, one bag of treats from that same company had the "Made in China" on it. Small print can be hard for some people to read but that's how some companies have been seeing their products sell.
You almost need to carry a magnifying glass with you when you shop these days.

Last edited by cat1116; 01-07-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM

21,409 posts, read 26,753,024 times
That's interesting. Costco here carries a brand that is grown and frozen in Oregon. Or at least they used to. I haven't bought their frozen veggies for a couple of years.

I don't buy food from China for my family, dogs, or poultry. But other than food, it is just impossible to not buy goods from China. So many things are no longer made in the USA.

It's getting harder and harder to avoid food from China, too. At least I cook and don't buy prepared foods, and that helps a lot in controlling the source of the food.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM

3,998 posts, read 8,802,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

I always look before I eat - didn't have my glasses with me in the store (and now need them for the fine print - the part about China is usually VERY tiny) and was shocked that they had veggies that are apparently grown in feces .

OregonWoodSmoke I will not feed anything from China to my dog (I was insturmental in getting Trader Joe's to change their chiken strips to American) and I know people who lost their animals due to the Chinese dog food fiasco. There are tainted cat and dog food items on the market to this day .

Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM

2,110 posts, read 4,099,538 times
I refuse to eat anything made in China, and won't until they bring their health codes up to our standards.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,613,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I always look before I eat - didn't have my glasses with me in the store (and now need them for the fine print - the part about China is usually VERY tiny) and was shocked that they had veggies that are apparently grown in feces .

OregonWoodSmoke I will not feed anything from China to my dog (I was insturmental in getting Trader Joe's to change their chiken strips to American) and I know people who lost their animals due to the Chinese dog food fiasco. There are tainted cat and dog food items on the market to this day .
Everything is grown in feces.

I'm am not a made in China supporter and always believe in buying as close to home as possible. However in this global market, buyer beware.

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 81 times
Yikes! Kirkland stir fry vegetables sourced from US and CHINA!!!! The packaging was so stunning and the word, Organic was so large that it begged me to buy the stuff. Forgot to read the source. My bad. Throwing out the entire bag. Contacted Costco to buy American.

ALSO, I believe the garlic cloves are from China, shrimp for Thailand( slave labor) and who knows where the meat is from since there is no source. Very difficult to find the sources of the unpeeled garlic.

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

17,590 posts, read 22,678,513 times
when you are a grocery store.. 60-80% of your customers are price driven ..

those little plastic containers of fruits started coming from china 5 years ago..

most prepackaged items do have country of origin on them...

fresh meats - tho the congress kicked out the country of origins a few years ago...not because its coming from china......it came from the WTO (world trade organization) that mexico and Canada would raise tariffs by billions..on the u.s. if the u.s. didn't remove the "born raised and harvested" designations...

in all my grocery stores we put country of origins on everything we can even tho we don't have to …….

if you don't know or not sure...ask..

its funny 3 ladies specifically asked for Australian or new Zealand lamb for Christmas dinner...didn't want American lamb..

but if it was the same stuff coming from china...its no way!!

ive met with over 15 meat vendors from other countries...Uruguay...brazil... who really want to sell their beef in the u.s.
they will bring samples and its very good...

I sell much argentina shrimp......and that seems ok....but if its from china or Thailand.... no one wants it unless its very very cheap.

im buying more local pushing more and more maine companies .. but again...it does depend on price... most of the time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink