Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by voilalaura View Post
^In my experience, grass fed beef tends to be less tender. I think your tenderness is coming from the aging which is expensive! (but delicious).

I do buy grass fed beef when sometimes I buy steaks, but a lot of the grass fed beef in Whole Foods has awful marbling and sometimes I cannot make myself buy it when it is lying next to it's cornfed counterpart who is streaked with sweet, creamy fat.
You might be right about the ageing. I love beef but tend to eat it fairly rarely because I prefer to eat what I consider to be better quality and taste but of course it also means more expensive so I eat it less of it ! Most of the beef I buy is from local farmers ( all using grass feed not corn, corn seems to be more of an American feed I think) or restaurants who also supply grass fed and properly hung and aged beef.

I must admit I have never had bad grass fed beef before but a lot of very mediocre and bland corn fed beef.

It is interesting actually to see that some people think corn fed is tastier , more tender and juicy as this really is not my experience at all. I suppose we all have different tastes and appreciate things a different way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
I've had both. Corn fed is more tender, and marbles better than wheat-fed. The juiciness, as explained in someone else's thread on this forum, is not blood. So no, it's not more bloody. Cows are bled out during the slaughtering process.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,659 times
I just read the thread that explained why beef meat is red..so Ill now say its was extremely red-juicier!
I'm making grass-fed burgers next Sunday and will post an update.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
I had grass fed accidentally about 38 years ago (yes, I remember it that long it made such an impression on me). The little grocer where I shopped accidentally got some, and they had it on sale to get rid of it. I bought some, took it home, cooked it, ate it, and went back wanting more. They were out, and it took me more than two decades to find any more, and I had to drive out to the ranch in Fredericksburg to buy any (it wasn't available at Whole Foods then). Which I was happy to do, because it had actual FLAVOR, which the corn fed didn't, really, once I'd tasted grass fed.

Of course, though I can no longer get it, for the longest time I was hooked on water buffalo meat - it was the secret ingredient in my chili. For some reason Whole Foods stopped carrying it (like they did most everything that I made a point of shopping there for so I don't shop there any more). Sure wish I could get some more. It, too, was grass fed, come to think of it.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Less tender, less taste, less marbling.

If grass-fed is the only option, I will eat pork.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Tastes like mild venison to me.

I like corn fed as well.

BTW my favorite meat flavor is high desert sage fed mule deer, a skin head preferable. Like a natural seasoning.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 AM

317 posts, read 527,947 times
All the grass fed beef i've eaten has been tasty and tender..guess it depends on how you cook it.
When i was in Argentina the grass fed beef there was heavenly.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I just cooked a rather large, grass-fed porterhouse steak on my outdoor grill.
It came out perfect, but to be honest, the flavor was WAY different from regular beef.
It took some getting used to...meat was less fatty, but very juicy (bloodier).
It had a strange, somewhat gamey smell, and the fat (what little there was of it) had an unusual flavor.
No worry about eating the fat with this animal.
I could only eat half, and for a split-second I felt like i was eating a beast.
V*gans would have had a coronary to watch.
How primal..and unexpected.

Does anyone out there eat grass-fed meats, cheese, or butter on a regular basis?

this is the reaction to most that try grass-fed beef, because it sounds trendy, and more nutritious

first of all, ALL beef in supermarkets are grass fed,,,happy cows out on the range-til the last three months- then they feed them grain- why? to fatten them up for flavor- more and more large ranchers are getting away from feedlots- because it stresses the animal, and if you have a stressed animals, they dont bleed well, and its a lower grade-(dark cutters/cherry beef) so its in the ranchers best interest not to stress them

my brother bought half a critter with someone else recently, the cost was 4.25lb, off a farm and on the hoof, sounds good, til you really examine it,,,
4.25lb is hanging weight, which means 50% bones and fat, so, he paid 8.50lb for mostly burger, chuck and round steaks- way too much,,,then after he cooked a steak, like yourself, he was appalled at the flavor and how tough it was,,,well, he said never again- he fed most of it to his dogs

you had a porterhouse- one of the best steaks on the critter- grass fed chuck or round steaks will be much tougher if you tried them

the grain they "finish" beef on provides the marbling -which is specs of fat in the meat, which is flavor-also it is more tender.

I eat a lot of red meat, I love steaks, and have tried all different breeds, have tried grass fed many times
and I dont care for it-has a sour, gamey flavor like you said- and to pay even more for a steak that tastes like cowshhit- it's not for me..

this is my opinion, but i'm also a butcher, I have cut up many local grass fed beef critters, and the farmers would give me some steaks to take home..

I have woman in my family-that hardly eat any red-meat, but insist on grass fed, because of alot of propaganda in the wind-they have the loudest voices, telling other family members what they should be eating.
Ive concluded, they dont eat much red meat anymore, because its grass fed, and tastes like manure-but thats their business

now if you are concerned and want to feel better about the beef you eat, more and more grocery stores have premium beef programs, that dont give their animals hormones or innoculations, all vegetarian feed, etc.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
mainebrokerman, when I first had grass fed beef, it was on sale because the propaganda THEN was that only corn fed was any good. I fell in love with the flavor in SPITE of the propaganda, enough to learn the minimal amount of skill that's needed to cook it properly (it's different from corn fed - corn finished, if you will - not harder). So your analysis falls far short of reality in my case and, I suspect, in many people's cases.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:02 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
My family raises mostly grass fed which makes great hamburger but the steaks are very lean. We have a cow in a pen now feeding him to get a little more fat and taste before he's butchered.

You almost need to add some fat to the hamburger but it is probably the best you'll ever taste. It's basically ground sirloin steak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink