Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Some years ago I read a book about chocolate that noted that when Reece's were introduced in Germany at a big PR party, the folks invited to taste the PB cups took a big bite, and most reportedly spit it out in disgust. Not sure if that's a true story or not, but it's too good not to share. I can imagine the mortified look on the PR peoples faces.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit. I've never been crazy about those PB cups. Can I eat them? Yes. When I have a sweet tooth, are they the first thing I think of when looking to satisfy that sweet tooth? Not by a long shot.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,441 times
Ate a piece of one recently. Wasn't impressed. I'm not a fan of white chocolate either.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
I love the milk chocolate made in Europe. That's what I brought home last time I was there. As much of it as could be crammed in my luggage. Even the Milky Ways made over there are so much better than the ones here, although they are good. M&Ms with peanuts are a standard favorite for me.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I like the Symphony Milk Chocolate bar with almonds and toffee chips better. But those cookies and cream ones - if you break them up and scatter them over the pan of brownies before you put the pan in the oven, it comes out pretty tasty.

I love those Symphony bars! Or just a good old Hershey's with almonds.

My boys love those Cookies & Cream ones and I think they are disgusting beyond belief.. but they have always loved them and I'd always put them in their Christmas stockings.

Quote:
Many Europeans don't like Hershey's chocolate. They consider it sour tasting as compared to Cadbury etc. Apparently Reece's peanut butter cups are not real big there either. Hazelnut is usually preferred over peanut butter. Some years ago I read a book about chocolate that noted that when Reece's were introduced in Germany at a big PR party, the folks invited to taste the PB cups took a big bite, and most reportedly spit it out in disgust. Not sure if that's a true story or not, but it's too good not to share. I can imagine the mortified look on the PR peoples faces.
My grandmother loved Cadbury and would eat nothing else. I love Milka but haven't had one in forever, they used to sell them at Target but no more, unless I am looking in the wrong place. There's another European candy bar I like and can't remember the name of at the moment... it's made by Nestle I think and has a weird crisp airy center that I think is coffee flavored? I can't remember now.

Anyway about the Reese's, honestly I think they are pretty nasty too, because they are way too sweet! I like chocolate and peanut butter together but not like that.

Last edited by Sally_Sparrow; 01-24-2013 at 08:57 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Nothing, I mean nothing beats Lindt Lindor Truffles imo.
Nothing else even comes close.
The only American Candy Bar I just love is the Russell Stover Mint Dream Bar.
I use to love Reese's cups as a child, They taste too chemically to me any more.
I do like the home made version though ~ or Trader Joe's version.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
victim of low expectations me thinks OP.

See's Milk Chocolate with Toffee is the Worlds best.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
1. Three Musketeers. Remember when they had the two indentations, encouraging three-way sharing?

2. One two three four SKY Bar! It's the four in ONE bar!

3. Mounds / Almond Joy. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Many Europeans don't like Hershey's chocolate. They consider it sour tasting as compared to Cadbury etc. Apparently Reece's peanut butter cups are not real big there either. Hazelnut is usually preferred over peanut butter. Some years ago I read a book about chocolate that noted that when Reece's were introduced in Germany at a big PR party, the folks invited to taste the PB cups took a big bite, and most reportedly spit it out in disgust. Not sure if that's a true story or not, but it's too good not to share. I can imagine the mortified look on the PR peoples faces.
Not only believe it, I've seen it. When I brought jars of peanut butter with me when I moved to Europe, no one cared for it. When you have Nutella as a frame of reference, peanut butter is seen as strangely salty and too clumpy. I got the stink eye from most people I offered samples to.

As far as chocolate goes, I love me some Ritter. Toblerone is ok too, although the honey nougat can be on the sweet side so don't usually crave it. Lindt in bars is awesome too, but the Lindor truffles made under license here in the US have a strange, waxy texture with a mouth feel on this side of weird.

Cannot stomach most American chocolates - they are cloyingly sweet with inferior ingredients. Anything that says 'chocolatey' is not chocolate, folks. The cocoa butter that makes it chocolate is replaced with inferior hydrogenated fats like palm oil. Blecch.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Bounty dark chocolate!!! yum!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Tried this candy and did not like it, I am more of a dark chocolate person, the darker the chocolate the better for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink