Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I one pan cook while camping so everything gets cooked in the wok. You can use a flexy plastic spatula to get to the eggs just don't melt it.
OXO good grips silicon spatula-good to 600 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
I use a frying pan simply because it's easier to see them and to remove them, but otherwise much like what you're describing -- very little oil and a glass lid, but I add a tablespoon or so of water. Basted egg. It's like over-easy but you needn't flip it and it looks better. Egg basting is about the only thing my wife allows me to do in the kitchen. She's one notch under being a chef -- has run restaurants and a convention center kitchen -- but when it comes time to fry the eggs, she calls me. Mine are consistently perrrrrfect.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:11 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you like them thick try this: get a big onion, slice in half, then cut a 1 - 1 1/2 thick slice, take out all rings except two - those most outside, place in a pan, add little fat of your choice, then crack an egg inside. Cover. Fry on low till done.
Depends of the onion ring size, you can drop in one or two eggs. Inside the rings they are nice and thick, and look great. They don't run all over the frying pan.
Ooooh! What a great idea! I am trying this onion thing.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,931,772 times
Rocky Mountain eggs---take a slice of decent bread, slice or pull out the doughy center of the bread slice, drop in a pat of butter. When the butter starts to bubble a little, drop in the egg. Cook for a bit, then flip it over. Nice way to eat the bread and egg together. (Plus, I nibble on the doughy part I remove while it's cooking.)

Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Rocky Mountain eggs---take a slice of decent bread, slice or pull out the doughy center of the bread slice, drop in a pat of butter. When the butter starts to bubble a little, drop in the egg. Cook for a bit, then flip it over. Nice way to eat the bread and egg together. (Plus, I nibble on the doughy part I remove while it's cooking.)
Mom made that for us when we were little, she called it Toad in a Hole and my dad called it Sailor on a Raft.

We cooked the doughy center alongside the egg.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Mom made that for us when we were little, she called it Toad in a Hole and my dad called it Sailor on a Raft.

We cooked the doughy center alongside the egg.

Now that's interesting. Toad-In-The-Hole in England is a sausages baked in batter arrangement, like a Bisquick muffin with a sausage hidden inside. Funny how food names distort...

Old 01-26-2013, 03:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
AKA eggs in a basket.
Learned to cook omelets under a lid and add some ice shards. Steams the omelet and makes it fluffier.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,828,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I use a frying pan simply because it's easier to see them and to remove them, but otherwise much like what you're describing -- very little oil and a glass lid, but I add a tablespoon or so of water. Basted egg. It's like over-easy but you needn't flip it and it looks better. Egg basting is about the only thing my wife allows me to do in the kitchen. She's one notch under being a chef -- has run restaurants and a convention center kitchen -- but when it comes time to fry the eggs, she calls me. Mine are consistently perrrrrfect.
I will try this. 1 tablespoon of water? I can see this working better than with just oil. Oh yeah.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I have just started making the steamed eggs instead of over easy and it is so much easier to get them right. Actually, I think basted is when you spoon the hot oil over the yolks until they are slightly cooked on top. The steamed thing is closer to poached.
I use the small amount of water in the pan, after the white is cooked, put on a cover and steam until the surface of the yolk is cooked.
I got tired of the pressure of whether or not I would break the over easy yolk.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I will try this. 1 tablespoon of water? I can see this working better than with just oil. Oh yeah.
1 T is a guess. I turn on the faucet and stick the lid under it just long enough to get a little water in it, then dump it in the pan and put the lid on it. You just need enough water to create steam. If you get too much water it just stays in the pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink