Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
You never had green (bell) peppers?

I make shrimp Creole fairly often. I posted my recipe here.
I just now saw that you posted a link to your thread with your recipe, which was very nice of you! Thank you very much for sharing your recipe with me! I can't wait to try it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,732 times
When I heard the word Cajun, I do think of food, but I also think of language/accents and music (Zydeco, for example). Maybe because I spent a few years near Houston growing up and I was exposed to a lot of people from Louisiana and my mother loved the music and played it all the time. I am not a crawfish fan (or crawdads as they were called when I was a kid) but maybe that's because I used to catch them and bring them to my mom when I was a kid, and she would cook them, and it grossed me out. I have similar issues with shrimp, from when my mother would have parties and I'd help her prep by de-veining shrimp with her. Yuck. There's plenty of Cajun and Creole dishes though that allow me to skip the crawdads and shrimp, thankfully!

I've visited New Orleans a few times and found the food to actually be LESS spicy than what I'd had at places like Popeye's, or pre-packaged stuff from the grocery store (like Zatarain's, etc. ). It was spicy but not overwhelmingly so. My other half, who is decidedly wussy with anything spicy, was able to eat well in New Orleans despite that fact.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Crawfish boil! Sadly no one here does this, and when I mention it, everyone says EW. I make the best Jambalaya this side of the Continental Divide too, that and some hot water cornbread. Good eats!
I've had that a few times in Miami. I'm not sure if they were New Orleans transplants. One restaurant was owned by a New Orleans transplant. (Actually, a Vietnamese guy who lived in New Orleans). The restaurant offered hot pots and crawfish (and some other things, but why would you order them?).

Old 02-02-2013, 02:31 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
I immediately think of red beans and rice and crawfish boils, oh and kings cakes, even though they are just a Mardi Gras thing. . We lived in Houston for several years where there are a lot of Louisiana transplants, and I fell in love with cajun food and the people. They know how to eat really well and have a great time.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Fresh vegetables...lots of fat, spices. Paul Prudhomme is Cajun, and one of my favorite chefs. He lost a significant amount of weight, and has adapted many Cajun recipes to be sugar, fat, and salt free.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,220,653 times
Emeril Lagasse makes a lot of Cajun and Creole dishes, too.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,220,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikälskaren View Post
I just now saw that you posted a link to your thread with your recipe, which was very nice of you! Thank you very much for sharing your recipe with me! I can't wait to try it!
You're very welcome. Enjoy!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,370 times
I love Gumbo and Jambalaya. I always thinks of andouille sausage when I think of Cajan cooking but in the northern part of the country you can't find it.

I make what we think is a really good Gumbo but I use smoked sausage. It took me a long time to come up with this recipe....but it's one we like. Being from the north it's hard to find oysters here except for the holidays (unless you want to pay about $40 for a small container) so I use boiled canned oysters in my gumbo. Here's my recipe in case anyone is interested. It starts with a roux.

Rural Chick's Cajan Gumbo

1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
3 garlic cloves...minced
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds

3 cans low sodium chicken broth
1 pound small or medium shrimp (can use cooked and frozen)
I can undrained crab or can use the fake sticks if you want (when I use imitation sticks, I use about 1/2 pound and chop then in small pieces)
1 can boiled oysters with juice (or about 8 to 10 oz fresh oysters, juice and all)
8 - 12 oz chopped smoked sausage
2 tablespoon bottled chili sauce
one squirt of sriracha sauce (can be omitted if you desire)
1/2 tsp file powder (can be omitted if you desire)

1 1/2 cups cooked white rice

Mix olive oil and flour and stir over medium heat until the roux is copper colored or at least caramel colored. It will take close to 25- 30 minutes to get it right. After it is darkened, add the next ten ingredients (veggies and spices). Cook for about 5 minutes or until the veggies are beginning to be cooked. Add chicken broth, and cook about 10 minutes, then add the oysters, crab, shrimp and smoked sausage and simmer for about 15 minutes and then add the rice. I let it sit for about 10 minutes to let it blend the flavors and then heat it for about 5 minutes. Add the file right before serving and mix in. If you want more seafood, just add it....sometimes I use two cans of oysters and more shrimp. I have used fish stock for part of the liquid.

Enjoy!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Cajun Corn Maque Choux Recipe | MyRecipes.com

I make this vegetarian...Yum.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
If you want to get a good feel for Cajun cooking, watch some Justin Wilson videos on YouTube. His enthusiasm alone make the tapes very entertaining.
justin wilson - Yahoo! Video Search

Another really interesting History Channel show is the Swampsgiving video:
Swamp People — Swampsgiving — History.com Videos

One of my favorite Cajun and Southern Cooking website in the website of the Southern Foodways Alliance, an organization that is trying to document and preserve the culinary traditions of the southern states. They have a great number of recorded interviews from small boudin makers, restaurant owners and the like. Look under the Tourism tab for many of the oral histories.
SFA | Tourism | What is Culinary Tourism

I hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink