Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,229,870 times

Advertisements

India. Go on a strict. Vegan diet, with no processed foods. There are not a lot of obese folks in India. Even the Mcdonald's is vegan there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,116,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Julia Child believed in butter, cream, and all sorts of wonderful fatty foods. But she always advocated moderation. She died just a few days before her 92nd birthday.
Julia Child lived in an age before all her food was adulterated with toxins, hormones, pesticides, HFCS, GMOs, and all sorts of other nonsense.
It's not just what you eat and how much, now you have to worry about what is in your food.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 AM

271 posts, read 598,386 times
India is good, lots of vegetables, but quite a bit of oil is used in cooking especially at restaurants. Also, its more vegetarian than vegan as a lot of dairy products are used. But damn it is good.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,234,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think that Chinese food would be a good way to diet, if you stick to a lot of veggie stir fry and keep the serving of rice down to a reasonable size. Stir fry is the way to make veggies the main part of your diet and not feeling like you are suffering.

Lots of fresh veggies with tiny slivers of meat would be fine for dieting.
Healthy, low fat, but the one thing I have the most problems with in Asian cooking, is, what you are referring to: small slivers of meat. We have cut way back on our meat consumption, but I still like to, at least taste it in my meal.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,234,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Julia Child lived in an age before all her food was adulterated with toxins, hormones, pesticides, HFCS, GMOs, and all sorts of other nonsense.
It's not just what you eat and how much, now you have to worry about what is in your food.
This is true, but she hasn't been gone that many years, so she was exposed to the toxics etc, not her entire life, but certainly the last 10 to 20 years. There is only so much we can do about what has been added except to cook from scratch as much as possible and try to grown some of your own foods. Even that doesn't work for everyone. You can talk about all the tonics added to our foods, but look at how old we are living to be?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM

352 posts, read 415,174 times
There is a Greek island called Ikaria where people not only live long, but healthy lives way into their 90s. I think there is a lot to be said for a warm climate and healthy food and the Medetarranean diet seems to be ideal, plus of course as I mentioned above less fast food restaurants etc is good. Simple plain cooking with plenty of fresh food. Makes me want to escape to a Greek island now in fact.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/ma...pagewanted=all

Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM

41 posts, read 62,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
My wife was telling me that her grandparents wanted to go on a diet and they decided to find a country with skinny people and they chose Chinese food to do a diet.

Which ethnic food would be better for that?
Seems to me like Vietnamese people are pretty skinny, so I would go with Vietnamese food.
My vote would be for Vietnamese also but that's because that = my comfort food. I'm unsure if the intent of the grandparents' diet is to lose/maintain weight or just have an overall healthier lifestyle? If it's for losing/maintaining weight, choosing a country with 'skinny' people may not be an optimal approach since some countries' inhabitants lack proper nutrition as the reason for being 'skinny'...just a thought.

As for Vietnamese food, & most other Asian cuisines, often times the ingredients = metabolism boosters so that would be something to consider & incorporate. Best Wishes.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Spicy tends to rev up your metabolism, too.
And the foods have lots of antioxidants.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is true, but she hasn't been gone that many years, so she was exposed to the toxics etc, not her entire life, but certainly the last 10 to 20 years. There is only so much we can do about what has been added except to cook from scratch as much as possible and try to grown some of your own foods. Even that doesn't work for everyone. You can talk about all the tonics added to our foods, but look at how old we are living to be?
They don't expect this generation of kids to live as long as their parents.
Plus we have more medical technology to offset all the crap we do to ourselves now.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM

352 posts, read 415,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They don't expect this generation of kids to live as long as their parents.
Plus we have more medical technology to offset all the crap we do to ourselves now.
I am surprised. I would have thought with medications this generation will live to a good old age even with the unhealthy diet. Our forecast here in the UK is for a large amount of people being kept alive to a ripe old age care of our National Health Service, simply because of medical advances even though the doctors will just be patching-up bodies that would normally die at a younger age because of heart disease and high blood pressure, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink