Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times

Advertisements

My first venture into being a chef was when I was about 8 and I opened a can of Franco-American spaghetti and
after putting it into the pan began adding what I thought were the right spices. I first added salt-pepper, then Monosodiumglutemate (sp), and other things.

I think I ate it, but never again added the spices.

Now, after many years I feel rather accomplished as a "cook".

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 11:20 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Mine is the day I learned the difference between a clove of garlic and a bulb of garlic.

I was all of 22 and making my first quiche - a vegetable one. I doubled the recipe, since the crust recipe made two crusts. I bought all the ingredients and carefully followed the recipe until I got to the garlic -- peel and crush 2 cloves of garlic. Well, I gave up after 1 "clove", since it was just getting ridiculous -- I just kept peeling the thing and it was never ending.

Finished making the quiches, and couldn't wait until they came out of the oven -- and they came out perfectly! Except they were inedible. WAY too much garlic. Really tasted awful and I ended up throwing them away. I was crushed -- after all my effort! My Mom really laughed when I told her what happened.
"Laorbust61's World Famous Baking Soda (with a little bit of chocolate) Chip Cookies"

You don't really taste chocolate. Mostly baking soda. Eww. Practice makes perfect, sometimes.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:29 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
I made a strawberry shortcake, but I didn't read the instructions all the way through. Instead, I just added all the ingredients (including the whipped cream and strawberries), stirred it into a batter, and then put it into the oven.

Apparently it made a real mess in my friend's mom's oven.

EDIT: I was 10.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:13 PM

311 posts, read 634,673 times
My husband baked me a birthday cake about 8 years ago. Must have been the first time he made a cake. He didn't know the cake had to be cooled before frosting it. What a sloppy runny mess of soggy cake and frosting.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:42 PM

303 posts, read 540,121 times
I messed up Ramen Noodles. Cooked them too long and they turned into a goopy mess. Worst texture of food in the whole world. It was the last time I've ever made them. I'm not sure how I can make the stuff I do and mess up Ramen Noodles but it can be done. My family loves to remind me of it, especially my SO who had to eat it.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:17 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
Putting in baking soda instead of baking powder because I wasn't paying attention. I am not sure what would have been the result because I noticed it and threw it away and started over, but now I always pay special attention!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink