Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,537,921 times

Advertisements

Prick a small hole in eggs before boiling. Doing it this way it's possible to put the eggs directly into boiling water without fear of cracking. I've learned that best taste as well as ease of peeling result from plunging the eggs into ice water right from the boil.

You can use a pin or get a pricker from amazon, usually combined with a slicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,392,784 times
Placing cut cucumbers into a cold ice bath, and then wringing it out with a kitchen towel makes the cucumbers crunchy...

Marinate with ponzu sauce and chili without having to wait for it to taste like Kim-Chee.

Instant kim-chee pickles.. savory and delish

Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 AM

50,085 posts, read 63,455,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Don't use a slurry of flour and water, brown your flour with butter and make a roux. Learned that from a cooking show, (Alton Brown - Good Eats) and my gravy has never, EVER failed me. Thank you Alton.

Not to mention that Alton specializes in showing viewers how to make real food and the scientific reasons behind what's occurring in the pot/pan/oven. No froo-froo cooking that no real guy would ever bother to make.

Sorry Barefoot Contessa.
I really must disagree. Either method is fine. Since you must boil the slurry to get it to thicken, it will not taste raw.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,848,037 times
You can't cook and watch television simultaneously!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,335,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Salt the water before making hard boiled eggs.
The shell peels off so much easier, and with just One crack of the shell.
I did not know this. How much salt per quart of water?

Have also heard that using older eggs also helps with the peeling process. The fresher they are, the harder to peel.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Putting a wooden spoon across the top of a boiling pot of water for pasta prevents it from boiling/bubbling over.
If it starts to boil over and you hadn't remembered to put the wooden spoon across it, just blow on it and it will subside instantly.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:51 AM

6,455 posts, read 6,621,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post

Have also heard that using older eggs also helps with the peeling process. The fresher they are, the harder to peel.
Yes, I have found this to be true. I always use the freshest eggs in my fridge for scrambling, in recipes, etc., so that I'll have some older ones on hand for hard boiling. No stuck shells since I started doing this.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM

726 posts, read 1,224,469 times
Older eggs have more air inside, thus easier to peel. If you are wanting perfection for deveiled eggs and want the yoke cavity fight in the center, then follow Happy in Wyoming's advice and pin prick the eggs before boiling. Also, room temp eggs will not kill you if you're cooking them through, so putting them out over night will lessen the chance of the shell breaking when boiled, also if you don't want the yoke to break when making over eggs. When baking all cold ingredents should be room temp, so always plan ahead.
Cold eggs hot pans = broke yoke or shell. One other thing, if you put onion skins into your boiling eggs they will turn a nice color tan to brown, then rub with a little oil and they will shine...

Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,351,930 times
I have always added a very small piece of blue cheese to any BBQ sauce and it zings it up a bit.
I also don't tell anyone because people don't seem to like blue cheese.
Don't need much; less than a nickel size does it.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I have always added a very small piece of blue cheese to any BBQ sauce and it zings it up a bit.
I also don't tell anyone because people don't seem to like blue cheese.
Don't need much; less than a nickel size does it.
Wow, that seems like a really good idea. I'll try it next time I make BBQ sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink