Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times

Advertisements

Forget the store, let's talk my mother house. LOL

In November 2011, my mother gave my sister-in-law and I salad dressing to use. It had expired in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:22 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
You would think they would have the grocery staff go through the shelves to check expiration dates more often. Especially in the dairy or produce. A few times I have found expired dairy products. I also don't like when large items such as a gallon of milk is going to expire in a day. I am not able to use it all. Online there was an article about how long you can really use products after the expiration such as eggs.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
I guess this is a pretty good human nature study about how many people don't read comments, just replying to the original post.

I'll say it again... the dates you see on food in a supermarket are NOT expiration dates. NOT!

The only packaged food in a market that has an expiration date is infant formula, as required by federal law. Other foods MAY have a date on them that is considered a Sell by: date if not labelled, which is used for inventory control, and has to do with food quality, not food safety. But even those voluntary dates are very conservative, and take into account reasonable storage times after purchase.

For example, canned goods typically show a date that is two years after the canning date, but studies have shown that 10 years later the food is still good, with only slight changes in taste and texture. Food in jars has similar longevity, as long as it is kept away from light and heat.

Baked goods like crackers and cookies have the shortest shelf life, primarily because of their inexpensive packaging, which lets in air and they go stale. So paying attention to Sell by: dates in that category makes sense. Tinned baked goods, like Scandinavian cookies that are sealed are much longer lasting.

But I think fresh milk and other dairy products cause the most confusion. The Sell by: date on a carton of fresh milk allows for 7 days of storage at home.

To hopefully make it more clear, a lot of ready-to-eat prepared foods are switching over to a Use by: date, which is actually more user friendly. For example refrigerated sous-vide foods, like stuffed chicken breasts in sauce, which only require heating to serve, might have a Use by: date six weeks away. That certainly makes it easier for the consumer to gauge whether they'll likely eat the product within that period. And then if you buy it and don't use it right away, maybe you even forget you have it for a while, the Use by: date eliminates the guesswork about whether it's still good.

But remember, those dates you see on cans and packages and jars are not expiration dates. They're just loose guides to when items should be sold for best quality after normal home storage.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I guess this is a pretty good human nature study about how many people don't read comments, just replying to the original post.

I'll say it again... the dates you see on food in a supermarket are NOT expiration dates. NOT!

The only packaged food in a market that has an expiration date is infant formula, as required by federal law. Other foods MAY have a date on them that is considered a Sell by: date if not labelled, which is used for inventory control, and has to do with food quality, not food safety. But even those voluntary dates are very conservative, and take into account reasonable storage times after purchase.

For example, canned goods typically show a date that is two years after the canning date, but studies have shown that 10 years later the food is still good, with only slight changes in taste and texture. Food in jars has similar longevity, as long as it is kept away from light and heat.

Baked goods like crackers and cookies have the shortest shelf life, primarily because of their inexpensive packaging, which lets in air and they go stale. So paying attention to Sell by: dates in that category makes sense. Tinned baked goods, like Scandinavian cookies that are sealed are much longer lasting.

But I think fresh milk and other dairy products cause the most confusion. The Sell by: date on a carton of fresh milk allows for 7 days of storage at home.

To hopefully make it more clear, a lot of ready-to-eat prepared foods are switching over to a Use by: date, which is actually more user friendly. For example refrigerated sous-vide foods, like stuffed chicken breasts in sauce, which only require heating to serve, might have a Use by: date six weeks away. That certainly makes it easier for the consumer to gauge whether they'll likely eat the product within that period. And then if you buy it and don't use it right away, maybe you even forget you have it for a while, the Use by: date eliminates the guesswork about whether it's still good.

But remember, those dates you see on cans and packages and jars are not expiration dates. They're just loose guides to when items should be sold for best quality after normal home storage.
Oh, I think people see, but are being polite....because you are so wrong about this. You can believe what you want, but just because others don't agree and follow does not make us stupid.
To say that only infant formula is the only product that has an expiration date is....well......silly as heck.

You're not the authority and final-say-so on things....

Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Oh, I think people see, but are being polite....because you are so wrong about this. You can believe what you want, but just because others don't agree and follow does not make us stupid.
I don't believe people are stupid, just sometimes misinformed. And I'm trying to provide a service when I provide facts that I hope will displace misunderstanding. I believe what the Food & Drug Administration and USDA say about food dating, since they are the ones who make the rules.

Here's a taste of what they say:

Quote:
Quote:
Types of Dates
A "Sell-By" date tells the store how long to display the product for sale. You should buy the product before the date expires.
A "Best if Used By (or Before)" date is recommended for best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.
A "Use-By" date is the last date recommended for the use of the product while at peak quality. The date has been determined by the manufacturer of the product.
Quote:
What do can codes mean?
Cans must exhibit a packing code to enable tracking of the product in interstate commerce. This enables manufacturers to rotate their stock as well as to locate their products in the event of a recall...

Cans may also display "open" or calendar dates. Usually these are "best if used by" dates for peak quality.

In general, high-acid canned foods such as tomatoes, grapefruit and pineapple will retain best quality on the shelf for 12 to 18 months; low-acid canned foods such as meat, poultry, fish and most vegetables will retain best quality on the shelf for 2 to 5 years — if the can remains in good condition and has been stored in a cool, clean, dry place.
Food Product Dating | USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service

By now y'all should know I don't make stuff up. I can always provide references for what i say here.

Last edited by OpenD; 02-18-2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I found a jar of gourmet honey and walnuts that had expired 8 years earlier.

The major grocery store chain in my city has a policy that if you find an expired item, you can have an identical, unexpired item for free. A lot of people here make a habit of checking the dates and loading up their carts with expired and free items. It keeps it fresh for everyone else, who can't always be bothered to check the dates on their stuff.
Ah,yes HEB. My kids used to love to go to the store with me and search for expired items. It was like a treasure hunt. Sometimes they would get lucky and find stuff, and other times we would walk away without any freebies, but it always kept them busy looking.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 PM

170 posts, read 322,944 times
Tough call. Probably the most outdated I saw was a container of sour cream. Three weeks overdue and still on the shelves? Now I'm starting to see that I have it good compared to other posters here.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
This weekend: my own spice shelf. Ground cloves, dated 1977. Used the last 1/4 teaspoon in a chicken curry. It was delish. Had the last of it for lunch today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink