Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'm not vegetarian but my favorite "burger" of all time is a vegetarian burger from a local vegetarian fast-food restaurant. I know most people assume vegetarian food is healthful but there is no way this vegetarian burger and fries is any better for you than other fast-foods. The 1/3lb "burger" patty is deep-fried and put on a bun with vegetarian mayo, lettuce and tomato. It is really good - and quite satisfying.

Anyway, my intent here is just to mention another "healthful trend" - vegetarian food. Yes, it can be healthful - but it can also have the same fat/calories as other fast foods.
A french fry in a vegetarian establishment is still a french fry...lol.

One of my favorite burgers of all time is a black bean burger topped with ranch dressing and cheese - lots of carbs and fat. And just as off limits for me right now as a fast food burger.

I could definitely get fat eating strictly vegetarian - pasta, rice, sugar, potatoes, corn, oh my.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,103 times
I've noticed that the fast food burgers I've eaten during the past year or two don't slide off the bun like they used to. They tend to use less of those slippery, mayo type sauces, which is fine with me. To me it makes the burger tastier and neater to eat.

On the other hand, we got Big Macs once that had so little sauce, they were dry and tasteless. What's needed are happy mediums twixt yummy and what's good for you.

Personally, I can make good for you at home any day, I like to go out and splurge on yummy now and then.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:58 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times
The trend for offering healthy options will continue, but doubt it will even touch the market for things like the Baconater and all those multi-patty-cheesey bacon concoctions I see advertised on TV. They look delicious, but I shiver to think about how many grams of fat they have.

I think the only fast food I get is McD's chicken ranch wraps. I like them!

But fast food for me means ordering a pizza from the local place, or stopping at Wawa for a sandwich. The rise of the convenience store deli will really cut into the fast food dollar. Only negative is that they don't have drive through (yet).

Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And don't kid yourself thinking vegans don't enjoy junk on occasion. There's a place here that serves the most outrageous seitan "chicken wings" - deep fried, smothered in buffalo sauce, served with carrots/celery and some vegan dip thing - has to be one of the most unhealthy "non-meat" thing I've ever eaten, but damn those things are tasty.

That's junk to you??!?!??

Now this is junk!! Beautiful, delicious, tasty, heart stopping junk!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
A vegan Chinese restaurant just opend by me about 5 months ago. Haven't tried it. Not sure if it will last because it's been 2 other chinese restaurants in the past.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And don't kid yourself thinking vegans don't enjoy junk on occasion.
True. Might depend on the reason for the vegan diet -- health, morals or a combo of both. Vegans are pretty rare in my neck of the woods -- I've only known one. I thought it was awfully funny that she and her daughter were always stopping by McD's for hash browns or fries, but I don't think she was vegan for the health benefits. [Although she did once say that her cholesterol was outrageously low.]

Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I wish Panera would come to my area. The closest one is 60 miles away. Love their food and you can get healthy or not choices. They have great soup too. I always have to have their green iced tea.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I wish Panera would come to my area. The closest one is 60 miles away. Love their food and you can get healthy or not choices. They have great soup too. I always have to have their green iced tea.
We love Panera's especially their salads and their breads. But I don't consider them, particularly a fast food restaurant or a health center restaurant. I consider them a basic bread store that offers a decent lunch, served in a hurry and does offer healthy choices. When i think of true fast food, I think Micky Ds, Jack in the Box, KFC, Wendy's etc.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Panera's are AWESOME! The first one I went to was in Virginia, but they finally came to our area a few years ago. Great breads and bagels, and I recently had a steak salad! Yummm!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It does seem almost every restaurant does offer lite meals today, with the actual calory count listed as well as sodium in a few cases. As for vegetarian, yes, they have a long way to go. We hear about vegetarian being so much healthier and how many people are switching, but I think the number is probably pretty small, they are just more vocal than those who eat a standard diet.

Nita
From what I understand, about 3-1/2% of the population is vegetarian. So, yes, a tiny but very vocal minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink