Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 AM

353 posts, read 580,823 times

Advertisements

When I worked at Starbucks, I was getting tips .25c up to $5. All the money went into the jar and by the end of week they would split it all between the Batistas based on how many hours they worked that week. So, for me it turned out $35-45 per week on tips. No much, but it was appreciated.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 AM

353 posts, read 580,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Why do you tip a bartender? They get $1 tip for just opening a beer.
Yeah, same reason as a naked girl serving her private parts is getting paid more than a girl that is serving the food at the restaurant....

This world is so fair...yay!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM

7 posts, read 6,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Why do you tip a bartender? They get $1 tip for just opening a beer.

A barrista (as well as a Subway employee) gets paid at least minimum wage, which is $7.25 per hour. A bartender, like a waitress, makes $2.25 before tips, and, as they are taxed on everything they sell, usually get checks in which they OWE money every week because thier pay is basically ALL tips. When you don't tip them, you are actually TAKING money from them. It's not fair or just, but it's the system.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I tip my barista.

I order a wet cappuccino, breve, 3 packets of raw sugar. It has to be exactly "wet" enough and she knows exactly what I mean. "She" being one particular Starbucks barista I've known for years now. and she just does it better than any other barista I have encountered at any Starbucks or coffee house anywhere, in years of sampling from various places. She's got the skills. Others have a very hard time getting a nice foam with half & half.
There are so many different levels of skills among Starbucks baristas. My son started working for Starbucks at the time when baristas were trained (and paid) for 80 hours in classroom (with text books and coffee bar setup) and another 40 hours OTJ before they were allowed to work on their own (now, they only have a few days of OTJ training and nothing else.) Those early baristas knew the different textures of different beans and could identify them blindfolded. Their skills equaled those of experienced (liquor) bartenders in international bars. They did not rely on the machines, but on their hands and eyes, and knew to the second and the millimeter of a perfectly mixed coffee drink no matter what the customers ordered. Now, the same drink ordered from one Starbucks would taste completely different from another Starbucks, and most of the time, that's not a good thing. In addition to that, my son was/is well read, articulate, empathetic, and over all, a great people person so his popularity was phenomenal.

During the 10 years he was a Starbucks barista, his customers knew of his schedule by heart and showed up in drove only when he was working. Every time he was behind the counter, the shops (he worked in several locations) were packed like sardines. Tips were shared among employees, so the staff benefited a great deal by his skills and personality.

My daughter still tips all Starbucks baristas, even the poorly skilled ones. Her explanation: "I knew how my brother worked very hard for those tips and depended on them for his livelihood, and I'll continue to tip in his honour." Every now and then, she would order the old drinks which only the early baristas knew how to mix, then she would tell the staff how to do it and throw them off big time!

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 02-25-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 AM

370 posts, read 654,360 times
what in heavens name is a 'wet' cappuccino...you mean a café latte?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
what in heavens name is a 'wet' cappuccino...you mean a café latte?
Given an actual cappuccino is a smaller drink (5-6oz traditionally, about a 1/3 of which is espresso) and a latte is typically 2x-3x as large with a much higher milk to coffee ratio, I'm assuming she means this:

Wet cappuccino

Dry cappuccino (aka dishfoam)

FWIW, the latter would score a "0" on appearance in a sanctioned barista competition. Probably wouldn't score well on taste/texture either.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemisoutrageous View Post
A bartender, like a waitress, makes $2.25 before tips, and, as they are taxed on everything they sell, usually get checks in which they OWE money every week because thier pay is basically ALL tips. When you don't tip them, you are actually TAKING money from them. It's not fair or just, but it's the system.
It depends where you live/work.

Fewer than half the states apply the federal minimum wage for tipped employees.

Only 21 states are between $2.13-$2.99. The other 29 start at a minimum wage higher than that, with some equaling or exceeding "regular" minimum wage.

Here's a chart:
U.S. Department of Labor - Wage & Hour Divisions (WHD) - Minimum Wages for Tipped Employees

My advice is to be a bartender in California, Washington, Oregon, Hawai'i, Nevada, Alsaka or Connecticut.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM

19,514 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
NO. Why? At most coffee houses, you order at the counter, the barista makes your drink & either calls out the drink for you to pick up, or they may set it on the counter, again for you to pick up, and in rare instances someone, not usually the barista, will bring it to you. Why would you tip the barista, unless you want to?
Most of the ones I've been to, the tip jar was by the cashier but you would pick up your drink on the far end, where there was NO tip jar. I have to taste it before I decide it's worth tipping or not. It would make sense to put one on that end rather than at the cashier's. All they do is ring up my order, very rarely do they do anything else. So, if I like how it tastes, I will sometimes just have to wait while the area by the cashier's is clear before putting any money into it. On busy days, that's almost impossible to do. At some other coffee places, the cashier is sometimes the one that also makes your drink, then I can understand it being there.

I've done the tipping thing at the cashier's at some of the busy places and have been sorely disappointed when I got my drink at the far end and it wasn't very good but didn't have the time to wait around I try not to let that happen very often. So, if it means not leaving a tip, so be it.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
I don't tip counter help. Do those who tip coffee servers also tip the counterman at the auto parts store?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Most of the ones I've been to, the tip jar was by the cashier but you would pick up your drink on the far end, where there was NO tip jar. I have to taste it before I decide it's worth tipping or not. It would make sense to put one on that end rather than at the cashier's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I don't tip counter help. Do those who tip coffee servers also tip the counterman at the auto parts store?
It's the same tip jar no matter where it is placed. All employees share the tips based on whatever system the shop had set up. It's a reasonable assumption that most Starbucks customers ordered the same favourite drinks and knew the taste, and most liked how the baristas made them, that's why they frequented the same shop time after time. Therefore, most customers do not need to wait until after the first taste to decide whether they should leave a tip.

The tips jar is placed by the cashier because that's where customers have their money in hand. After the drink is paid and the wallet is put away, it would be difficult to expect customers to take it out again for tipping.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 02-25-2013 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink