Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have either one or both of these?
Do you use it?
Are you happy with it?
Any recipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 10:46 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Does anyone have either one or both of these?
Do you use it?
Are you happy with it?
Any recipes?
No, so n/a....

Old 10-24-2007, 01:21 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Isn't the immersion blender the long slender hand held plug in blender, you stick it in bowls of say pudding you want whipped up, or in a pan to make soups? I have one i received as a gift a long time ago. I still use it for many things. It's fast and easy..but you have to make sure it's in whatever you are blending, not on top, because there will be a gigantic mess all over the place. Don't ask me how i know that.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:00 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I have the cuisinart 'boat motor'. Works quite well and the easiest way to clean it is to stick it in a tall glass with hot water and detergent. Took me a while to figure that out! I use mine for blending soups and sauces.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:07 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Isn't the immersion blender the long slender hand held plug in blender

That's the one I have, it isn't manual but maybe that is what the original poster meant.

I puree soups, blend things quickly (like a bunch of eggs for a crowd), make salad dressings, mine came with a chopper attachment so I use it to chop garlic, onions, herbs...it was well worth the purchase. I think mine is a Braun.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:20 AM

Yes, Mels, mine is handheld and plug-in, it bills itself as an "immersion" blender so that's what I called it. Pink String, the instructions have a conspicuous warning about keeping the beater thing way down in whatever it is you're blending.

I bought mine (an Oster) yesterday at Target, I still can't find the beaters to my handheld mixer and I am tired of using my big Cuisinart for every little thing.
A friend told me she uses her long handheld blender for soups and whatnot, and i had always wondered if I might like one of those things, I do like homemade soup during the cooler weather.

Another friend always praised her potato ricer and I always wondered if having one would indeed make my mashed potatoes fluffier. I do so enjoy mashed potatoes.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:35 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I love my immersion blender. I upgraded to the 400 watt Braun (most are 200 watt). This is my favorite "power tool."

I puree tomato sauce and make my own marinara, and I make soup just about every week in fall and winter. I am partial to blended soups. Often after I blend I add some water to the soup because it becomes so thick.

It's especially great if you are making a recipe like pea soup that tells you to puree half the soup because you don't have the messy job of transferring soup from blender to bowl to soup pot. You just blend half-way and get the same results.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 AM

Great idea about the tomato sauce/marinara as well as the pea soup.
Thanks, Debsi.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I love my manual immersion blender ( Braun 400) and couldn't be without it. I loathe cooking and it just makes everything so much easier. It's fantastic for quick smoothies, soups, pasta sauces and many more things and best of all incredibly easy to clean ! In fact, I am just about to use it for my carrot and coriander ( cilantro) soup.
I have a ricer ( I assume you mean what they call a "moulis" in Europe and that is the best for mashed potatoes. It has 3 different "grilles" and i can therefore vary the coarseness of the potatoes. I also love to make Parsnip, carrot or beetroot puree . Really handy and also relatively easy to clean.
Do you put nutmeg in your mashed potato? I love it or even a tiny pinch of "Chinese 5 spice". In France we add an egg yolk to it ( and cream if you are not counting calories) as well to give it an extra dimension.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Thanks Moose
Actually, the past few years I've put parsnip in my mashed potatoes.
I've always put a bit of milk--and cream when it's the holidays.
For more flavoring, I tend to go the chive/roasted garlic route.
I save nutmeg for the sweet potatoes.
I used to have a small mouli but it disappeared, and I think I'd like to get another, larger one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink