Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
How Chinese is almost ANYTHING on the typical Chinese buffet in the typical non-Chinese community in the U.S., though?

In my experience with native Chinese cooks (mostly my FIL's exwife and her family), seafood anything is pretty plentiful, though I would say authentic style and technique is not commonplace at most buffets here, outside heavily Asian neighborhoods that do dim sum and the like.

I'm not knocking it, just noting that authenticity isn't often a huge concern. Even pretty authentic dishes aren't necessarily authentically prepared or authentically seasoned, etc. Which is fine.
and that a agree with you on. When I go to a Chinese buffet which is rare I am amazed what they are serving: how about French fries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 08:14 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I did and I still will: yes, Oyster sauce is in many Chinese foods, but not often seen at buffets. I do know shrimp is used in many Chinese dishes or American Chinese dishes but not served by themselves as a dish. I have never seen Oysters or Frog legs or Crawfish for that matter at a Chinese buffet nor in Hong Kong. That is my point. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this.
Have you been to mainland China?

I have been there three times now, and have seen oysters, Frog legs and crayfish.

Salt and Pepper Shrimp is hugely popular in Cantonese cooking.

Hong Kong does not represent the entirety of Chinese cuisine.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:52 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,007 times
Maybe once or twice a year with a good buddy of mine...with coupons.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:17 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,585,459 times
We go weekly to a buffet - almost always small, non-chain places.

For the big places, I did like Texas de Brazil but don't like the massive Chinese buffets. Buffets get their $$ worth out of me because I get modest portions - usually one plate and maybe try a little dessert.

For our usual, locally owned small places, we have Indian buffet almost every week for a weekend lunch. We also sometimes have Thai, Chinese, kabob buffet. Used to have a Mexican buffet near us but no more.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:11 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,947,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Only when we visit Las Vegas.
This^^. Last time I went to one outside LV was at least 15-20 years ago, & it was pretty nasty. Scratched those off my list .

Old 04-26-2016, 03:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
There is an amazing Indian place here that has a great lunch buffet.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:51 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,260,603 times
We went to our favorite Indian buffet today, it's all vegetarian and the food was great as usual, they make the best garlic naan I've ever had! They also show Bollywood movies which is always fun to watch.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:40 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
how Chinese are Frog Legs, seafood salad, craw fish oysters etc? I do know frozen Frog Legs often come from the far east, but never saw them on a menu while in Hong Kong.
Frog legs are very popular in Sichuan and Hunan, and are commonly seen on menus in other areas. Here are grilled frog legs in China:

Here is someone eating crawfish in China. They make a great translation "龙虾" (literally "dragon shrimp") means lobster so for crawfish it is "小龙虾" or "small dragon shrimp"

Oysters I'm not so sure on I've not seen 'em in China, which doesn't mean they don't serve them I have no idea. Best oysters I've ever had though were in Osaka Japan.

Damn this is making me hungry.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:42 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
How Chinese is almost ANYTHING on the typical Chinese buffet in the typical non-Chinese community in the U.S., though?
Closes thing is probably the pan of seasoned green beans.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:41 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,608,033 times
Are you in Sichuan or Hunan now? I was just in Changsha last month. Great times-love that 农家小炒!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Closes thing is probably the pan of seasoned green beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink