Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times

Advertisements

I am vacationing in Florida, and do not like to eat in restaurants so I went to Walmart's Bakery today and bought an Old Fashioned Peach Cake that comes in a very small brown box, with the date on it, which costs $.68 cents, and it was very good, especially for those people that do not want to eat too much.

Then, I bought Bake at Home French Demi Baguettes, made by Ecce Panis, which is as close as anyone gets to Italian bread in Florida. I had made Marinara Sauce from scratch, meatballs and sausages, cooked inside, and made myself the most delicious New York Italian Hero, one can ever imagine.......

I eat it all, and it was delicious........ Needless to say, that Walmart's has made a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I live in Chicagoland, home of HUNDREDS of great bakeries.

Walmart's artisan breads are really pretty good and are better than some of the local bakeries and are more reasonably priced. Their french bread is also pretty good. (I only started shopping at Walmart for bread when the local places started charging >$3.00 for a 16 oz loaf.

The pies can be pretty good, But I prefer the Sam's Club ones.

As for the donuts and other bakery products, I will pass.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
Enjoy till you mess up and read the ingredients.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I've bought some very good breads at Walmart as well as pies and cakes but I too prefer the pies and cakes from Sam's Club.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I live in Chicagoland, home of HUNDREDS of great bakeries.

Walmart's artisan breads are really pretty good and are better than some of the local bakeries and are more reasonably priced. Their french bread is also pretty good. (I only started shopping at Walmart for bread when the local places started charging >$3.00 for a 16 oz loaf.

The pies can be pretty good, But I prefer the Sam's Club ones.

As for the donuts and other bakery products, I will pass.
Not a donut eater so no comment on the donuts,but overwise I agree with you. NO. WalMart bread isn't the same as a really top bakery, but the Artisan bread, for the money is well worth it..

Parfleche, I don't think any of us are talking about buying all our baked goods there, we are simply saying for the money..

Old 03-03-2013, 12:04 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
They make really really really good flour tortillas.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:40 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I am vacationing in Florida, and do not like to eat in restaurants so I went to Walmart's Bakery today and bought an Old Fashioned Peach Cake that comes in a very small brown box, with the date on it, which costs $.68 cents, and it was very good, especially for those people that do not want to eat too much.

Then, I bought Bake at Home French Demi Baguettes, made by Ecce Panis, which is as close as anyone gets to Italian bread in Florida. I had made Marinara Sauce from scratch, meatballs and sausages, cooked inside, and made myself the most delicious New York Italian Hero, one can ever imagine.......

I eat it all, and it was delicious........ Needless to say, that Walmart's has made a friend.
Those are good. Sometimes I'll freeze one to save for later. Walmart's fresh baguettes are good too, but I always end up throwing away about 1/2 of it because it turns into a rock. I always plan on making bread crumbs with part of it, but that never happens .

Old 03-03-2013, 01:22 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
Those are good. Sometimes I'll freeze one to save for later. Walmart's fresh baguettes are good too, but I always end up throwing away about 1/2 of it because it turns into a rock. I always plan on making bread crumbs with part of it, but that never happens .
We always freeze half of it as soon as we get home. It works pretty well as long as you put it in a plastic freezer bag rather than that terrible bag they package it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink