U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times

Advertisements

Ok I have a ton of green beans in freezer that I want to cook but I havent due to they need to be seasoned like grandmother use to make or I dont like them.

WARNING WARNING I WANT UNHEALTHY RECIPES LOL

I bought me some fat back but I dont know what to do with it but I figure that is what she used to season it with but what else do I use onion? salt pepper? and what portions should I use or anything else?

Thanks

One good thing I do not have to do is snap the beans like she slaved her grand kiddies to do when I was little.
I always screwed that up and end up the snapping out the beans out of their pods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 05:13 PM

15,339 posts, read 27,528,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ok I have a ton of green beans in freezer that I want to cook but I havent due to they need to be seasoned like grandmother use to make or I dont like them.

WARNING WARNING I WANT UNHEALTHY RECIPES LOL

I bought me some fat back but I dont know what to do with it but I figure that is what she used to season it with but what else do I use onion? salt pepper? and what portions should I use or anything else?

Thanks

One good thing I do not have to do is snap the beans like she slaved her grand kiddies to do when I was little.
I always screwed that up and end up the snapping out the beans out of their pods.
I am pressed for time right now but will fill you in later. The basics are bacon grease, salt, pepper and onions. On occasion we add potatoes. My family did use lard, but I think bacon grease is the best!!! On occasion I also add bacon itself. Mmmm!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:19 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,489,321 times
Hate to tell you but frozen greenbeans won't taste anything like fresh ones. Your grandmother probably used bacon, streak-o-lean, smoked back bone or ham. Fat back was used when there wasn't anything else. Salt and pepper.

And cook until they are tender and soft.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:22 PM

471 posts, read 1,511,535 times
My grandmother used streak o lean-since I couldn't find it up north we used bacon grease, but it wasn't quite as good.
Recently we visited my cousin in Ga. and she had the BEST green beans that reminded me so much of my grandmothers. I asked her what she did and the answer was just a little olive oil. Now I use it all the time.

Yes, cook a long, long time!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
no rush and thanks for tip. I have one bag of grandmas frozen beans I am thawing but she only precook it halfway to be frozen not seasoned.
Then I have these cans and bags I want to cook but tasting right but I wouldnt know how much of what to add.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,933,768 times
Canned grean beans taste great with the right seasoning.You just can't cook them for an hour and expect them to taste good,they have to be cooked a pretty good while.I think everybody has just about covered what to put in to cook them.I would just season to taste,if it needs more then add more.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:30 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,543,731 times
Now for quick green beans...please hide the eyes of the true southern cooks out there.....Take come canned green beans and drain. Fry up some bacon and take the bacon out to cool. Leave the bacon grease in there and dump in the green bean and fry them up. I alway then cut up the bacon and toss it in too.
When I do this I always have to use three cans of greenbeans and at least 6 strips of bacon...if I don't my hubby will eat them all and I won't get any!!!
Ok true southern cooks can open their eyes now.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:09 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,391,713 times
I don't eat bacon but I saute sliced almonds in butter and garlic and then pour that over green beans. Everyone loves it.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,176,348 times
My German mother used bacon and smoked pork shoulder in the beans. She also used bacon and summer savory (an herb) in a bechamel sauce - sinful.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 PM

9,911 posts, read 9,299,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Sunny, did you buy sliced or a slab of fat back? Cooking with fat back is how you will get the good ole grandma's southern green beans. Bring the beans to a boil and put a chunk of fat back in salt and pepper to taste and cook until done. I remove the fat back before serving. Also another thing that is really good is fresh green beans and throw in some new potatoes (red skins.) That's some good eating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink