Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

1 onion
pork chops
beer
pepper

Dice the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker. Layer in the pork chops. Cover with beer. Sprinkle with pepper. Cook until chops are done. Eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Make a big batch of cabbage or bean soup in that slow cooker if you need fiber!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
At the moment I'm in Virgina with a fridge the size of a 4 bread boxes, a microwave, and a Westbend slow cooker. I got a hotel sink. What kind of spectacular things could you do with that? I've been eating frozen prepared 10/$10:00 meal things and fast food and something has gotta change. I definitely need some fiber, I thnk.

Any suggestions?

Believe it or not, I actually made paella using a slow cooker, microwave, and some imagination.
http://mermaidsofthelake.com/photos/Recipes/paella.jpg
Looked like that.

But that is not the norm. The norm is more like a pack of ramen and a prayer to the gods of Sodium and MSG.
http://www.bz2-img.com/images_custom..._21997_raw.jpg
Mmmm slow cooker...
Start with a piece of pulled pork or some stew meat, add a few veggies and some stock or broth and water to the slow cooker. Let is cook all day. Then in the micro heat some fozen potatoes, you are all set. The remainder goes into the fridge for another day. You heat it in the micro. BTW in the crock pot add a hot pepper to give it kick, and maybe a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup..

Old 03-07-2013, 01:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Start with a piece of pulled pork...
That's not what I start with - it's what I end up with.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I know this might sound boring, and maybe it won't work if you have to watch sodium, but for my slow cooker when I am in a hurry I often start with a can of cream of mushroom, cream of broccoli, cream of onion, or other cream of something soups. I make a wonderful version of beef stroganoff that way. Take 1 can of cream of mushroom soup (I usually use the 98%-fat-free), a 4-oz can of mushrooms (fresh is better but I'm usually rushing in the morning AND I don't always have fresh), a cut-up onion, ~1 lb. of cut-up beef stew meat (cut up in advance -- I always do really small pieces so I get meat in every bite), and lots of pepper. Mix 'em all together in the slow cooker, then cook on low 'til you get home. Add 6-8 oz. dry egg noodles to the slow cooker with ~3/4-1 cup hot water (can nuke the water to make it hot); put the cover back on and cook another 20-30 minutes 'til the egg noodles are at desired firmness. Just before serving, add 4 oz. (half of a regular-size package) cream cheese (I always use lite) and 4 oz. (1/4 of a small container) sour cream (again, I always use lite) and mix well.

I've made this a dozen or more times with slight variations and it's always been delicious. I've made it for guests many times (including a Russian friend, lol!) and they ALWAYS have seconds and ask me for the recipe. I am getting hungry writing this ...

Old 03-07-2013, 02:32 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
Use the microwave. Woody vegetables microwave really well in a covered bowl, like steaming. Add a pinch of salt, pepper and butter to broccoli, asparagus, carrots, even cabbage, and zap for 30 seconds at a time until done. You don't even need water. The veg and butter release steam. Take some of your stewed beef and a bottled sauce and you've got a beef bowl with perfectly tender, crisp and vibrant green vegetables.

If you like you can add ramen noodles. Microwave a bowl of hot water to boiling. Remove and add the noodles, stirring just until they're loose but not cooked. Drain. When you add them to your dish and there's a bit of hot liquid they'll absorb it and soften more but not get mushy.

For stewed meats in the crock pot I'd just use salt, pepper, a can of chicken stock, onion, garlic, carrot, celery and a cup of wine. Maybe add a bay leaf and thyme. Cool, divide, and keep in the fridge. Flavor it with different sauces for different meals, or tacos and sandwiches.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
I would make a Yorkshire pudding and a nice beef roast as normal....why wouldn't I?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM

203 posts, read 371,734 times
Throw a small roast ( I like sirloin) into the crockpot, add 1 can mushroom soup, 1 can french onion, 1 can celery soup in on top, then sprinkle with a pack of Lipton onion/mushroom soup. You can add cut up veggies ( potatoes, carrots, onions, etc) if you wish, BUT if you don't want the veggies, just the roast and soups make a delicious gravy to use over creamed potatoes or rice or noodles. DO NOT ADD WATER . Cook on high for 8 hours...YUMMY!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:11 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I would make a Yorkshire pudding and a nice beef roast as normal....why wouldn't I?
Okay, tell me how to make a proper Yorkshire Pudding in a microwave. I make excellent Yorkshire Puddings and popovers in the oven, but I want to hear how to make Yorkshire Pudding in a microwave.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Believe it or not, but a boneless chicken breast can be steamed in the microwave for a quick meal.

It's a fine point between underdone and rubbery, but if you find that spot you're halfway to dinner if you forgot to fill the crock pot in the morning. And forgetting to make dinner in the morning is bound to happen.

The chicken can be served with a salsa, a creamed soup, or even eaten un-sauced.

With the chicken, you could serve with vegetables, or a bagged salad mix. Be adventurous, don't do the iceberg mix.

Perhaps this is not as tasty as some of the great stew recipes above, but it's a quick and easy alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink