Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midcenturymod View Post
I enjoy cooking but it has become a daily responsibility that has become boring to me. As a SAHM mom of five, cooking is a big job and it belongs to me. My husband doesn't cook at all and doesn't have any desire to.
I agree that cooking is better as a shared responsibility in a relationship. It is time consuming and sometimes frustrating having to come up with things to make that everyone likes, and then cleaning up all the pots and pans afterwards. In my next life I will marry a chef, lol!
My rule's always been whoever doesn't cook does the dishes. It's only fair!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I think he needs to learn a hard lesson LOL. don't cook one night and if he asks tell him to fend for himself. Maybe he'll get the message.
There are nights that I don't cook...he just gets takeout on those nights.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
My take on this is: Moms and Dads should teach their children of both sexes the basics of cooking, and know their way around a kitchen.

I made the mistake of not insisting that my husband should cook the occasional meal, or at least help me cook even a little. He absolutely detests standing at the counter. It would just be very nice to have a break once in a while, although I DO admit we go out for supper every couple of weeks.

I even have to go searching for things when he put stuff away out of the dishwasher. So unobservant that he doesn't know which drawer the can opener goes in????

BTW, his father and both of our sons cook and enjoy being in the kitchen so it isn't a "hereditary" thing lol.
This made me laugh. My DH is the same except he just leaves whatever he can't remember where it goes on the counter for me to put away. He's hopeless as a cook, but is always willing to pickup take out.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband won't cook.

I broke my leg and couldn't put any weight on it at all, so couldn't stand at the stove. He went out and bought a wheelchair so that I could cook.

He says he used to cook before we met, but I think he may have tried making something once or twice and called it cooking. Either that, or he never ate anything good so he wasn't too particular about what he made.

I'm at the point where cooking feels tedious and boring to me. I'm homeschooling my daughter at my husband's request, and the last thing I want to do after a day struggling over math and science with a kid who insists she doesn't "get it" is to wait until hubby gets home, give him the list of things I could make for dinner, and let him pick one, then spend an hour or two working on it. Everything that's simple and quick to cook, he insists gives him diarrhea. Even things that couldn't possibly cause diarrhea, like fried rice, he will sit there and sigh and grunt with every bite as if it's just killing him to eat it.

I told him when the kids are grown and moved out, I will not cook anymore except on special occasions.
Well there's your problem right there. I DO NOT offer choices. "This is it. Take it or leave it" goes for husbands as well as children. I once said to him "What's it like sitting down to a plate of deliciously prepared fresh food night after night?" His response was "What do you mean?" Really.????..Now he will say "Good dinner dear" most of the time (after I had a hissy fit one night) and he will tell me if something did not meet his approval but there is no way I will present him with a menu to chose from. He's spoiled enough as it is.

And I can certainly relate to family members not putting things back where they should be. Two little girls and hubby should know where I like stuff. At least the girls should cause they do help in the kitchen but it drives me crazy to be in the middle of prep and can't find a favorite knife, pan, lid or tool. Most of the time they are lazy and just cram everything in under the cook top and force the doors closed....argggg.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Well there's your problem right there. I DO NOT offer choices. "This is it. Take it or leave it" goes for husbands as well as children. I once said to him "What's it like sitting down to a plate of deliciously prepared fresh food night after night?" His response was "What do you mean?" Really.????..Now he will say "Good dinner dear" most of the time (after I had a hissy fit one night) and he will tell me if something did not meet his approval but there is no way I will present him with a menu to chose from. He's spoiled enough as it is.

And I can certainly relate to family members not putting things back where they should be. Two little girls and hubby should know where I like stuff. At least the girls should cause they do help in the kitchen but it drives me crazy to be in the middle of prep and can't find a favorite knife, pan, lid or tool. Most of the time they are lazy and just cram everything in under the cook top and force the doors closed....argggg.

We love you kudzu.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Thanks so much Bulldogdad. Hope your family appreciates you. Was hoping you would get in here!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Not all females like to cook, either.
That's for sure. I know any number of women who will say pointedly, with open distaste, as if they had smelled a drain: "I don't cook." There are many women who are less able in the kitchen than the rawest male bachelor recruit. It's just not a standard skill any more. Witness the fact that here we are, talking about fixing boxed mac & cheese as if it were skilled cooking.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Best thing I ever did was let my son's experiment & play in the kitchen growing up..

Now I have 2 college boys who cook a lot when they come home..They love to pick a recipe,
I get the groceries and they cook it..

Now my late husband was another story...More of an unwillingness than inability..
I like to cook so most of the time it worked, but it was annoying to have those times when I was sick,
or there was stuff going on that had me out til 8 pm and then I was still the only one that could
make grilled cheese ect...

If I asked him to take care of dinner when something was keeping me busy he asked so many questions that
it wasn't worth it...I think that was probably calculated LOL

Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
This discussion makes me wonder if these non-cooks don't prefer restaurant food (if you call KFC a restaurant!). I know someone who dines out on lobster but goes home and eats raw hotdogs out of the fridge, because cooking them is just too hard.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 AM

gross- i wouldn't even feed my dog uncooked hot dog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink