Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,540,881 times

Advertisements

I drink Nestle bottled water because I like the taste; I use unfiltered well water for everything else.

I must mention that the best coffee I've ever had was made with very hard, high iron water; the coffee was straight Mocha. When I lived in Colorado I was able to get it from one particular spring where I could fill my jugs. When I lived in Illinois it came from the tap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,907,735 times
I have a Brita pitcher, which is what I use for drinking straight and for my hermit crabs. Tap water goes into the coffee maker which has its own filter built in.

When I walk, I fill my carry-bottle with the Brita water.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,744,562 times
I use Mavea. More convenient than the brita pitcher! And supposedly gets rid of more stuff than Brita and Pur. The water is sweeter than the Brita, but the pitcher has a very clever design. Made by the founders of Brita.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,270,994 times
I drink it right out of the tap...no filter. The water here is really good.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:39 PM

50,096 posts, read 63,480,500 times
I don't know why you would want to deprive your children of flouride. If you were old enough, you would remember what it is like to have your children have 6-8 cavities every 6 months. This is what it was like before flouride was put in water.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:38 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,671,743 times
I buy spring water. I don't merely dislike the taste of tap water; I also dislike the taste of "neutral" water. Filtered water - blech. Reverse osmosis water - bland, blech. Distilled - double-blech. Spring water is crisp and "clean-tasting." Not smooth, not slick. It has a genuine snap to it that quenches my thirst.

I never really liked drinking water for years and years - except when I used to go hiking and drink from the water on the riverbed. Nowadays, that river is polluted and you can get hepatitis drinking the water from it. But back when I was a kid, it was scrumptious and clean. Then when I tried bottled water for the first time, I was living in Florida and the tap water wasn't drinkable; it was usually too sulphurous and we'd get "drinking water warning days." We would get distilled or filtered water from a machine outside the supermarket - we bring our own jug and fill it up. I didn't like that much either.

And then one day I tried spring water, and it reminded me of the river water I used to drink as a kid. I've been drinking only spring water ever since.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 PM

26,646 posts, read 28,501,980 times
It depends upon what you want to filter out of your water. Any charcoal filter will remove chlorine and a few bad tastes.

I had a brita water pitcher to filter out some nasty chemical when I lived in one town and then in another town there was a big scare about a different chemical so I bought a Zero pitcher, which was one of the few that could stop that particular chemical. I've also used the brita faucet filter.

It's best to first determine what it is that you want to remove from the water and then simply google a few brands of filter to see which one will do the job.

The most important thing to remember with water filters is to change them before they get clogged. Once they are clogged/filled up they discharge the chemical right back into the water at an even higher concentration than you started with. That's the danger. Some filters will have a safety device to tell you when to change it.

I did have a whole house filter one time. It was expensive, very confusing to know what kind to purchase, and I had no way of knowing when it was time to change the filter. It cleaned the water in the shower and all the drinking water but I would never go that route again due to the extreme expense and the danger of any of the chemicals being put back into my water once the filter was full.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,048,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I buy spring water.
Which one(s)?

Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,413,515 times
Our fridge has a filter, and we drink water from the fridge a lot. We also have a filter that fits under our sink and we've had no problems with it (unlike some people who have problems with theirs leaking). Ours hasn't leaked at all. We have to change it about every six months and it's about $50. The fridge filter is about $40 and also gets changed at the same time. I figure that $200 a year isn't so bad for filtered water.

We were putting a pitcher with a filter in the bathroom but it was a pain in the rear so I just stopped doing that. We don't drink a lot of water from the bathroom faucets anyway!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM

456 posts, read 1,167,900 times
I buy bottled water. I don't want to be drinking that nasty fluoride and whatever else is in there...estrogen. lol

I would rather play it safe. Anyways, what some people do not consider is that the water at its source might be clean, but how about those pipes? For all you know they're too old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink