Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I have a corn beef and cabbage dinner scheduled for Friday night. Not a big favourite of mine but the husband loves it. If I make a boiled dinner I prefer a smoked shoulder.
I usually make something along the lines of steak pie and colcannon potatoes for Saint Paddy's day. Growing up where I did, let's just nicely say I have dated my fair share of guys from Ireland. Corn beef and cabbage while good is not really Irish food. At least that's what they told me. I know maybe that's a little food snobbish of me so I apologize.
who cares if it is officially Irish, it is tradition and that is what counts in my book. BTW, who told you it isn't really Irish? There are a lot of things we eat here, that are not really culturally correct for any given country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 AM

4,676 posts, read 3,435,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
who cares if it is officially Irish, it is tradition and that is what counts in my book. BTW, who told you it isn't really Irish? There are a lot of things we eat here, that are not really culturally correct for any given country.
Oh whatever people like is ok with me. To be honest I just am not a big fan but we are having it for dinner tomorrow. I was just throwing out my useless two cents.

I was told by more then one Irish guy that they never had corn beef until they got here. Shrug not a huge deal but it gives me an excuse to make something else. Now colcannon potatoes, those are pretty darn awesome.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:11 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,740,811 times
Quote:
It actually is Irish...somewhat.

Ireland: Why We Have No Corned Beef & Cabbage Recipes | European Cuisines

But in any case, I grew up eating corned beef and cabbage so for me it's "tradition" in my family. Doesn't matter either way.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:18 AM

88,161 posts, read 84,024,464 times
I always heard that the Irish in Boston picked up the corned beef from their Jewish neighbors. Don't know if that's just an urban legend or if there is any truth to it.

Only in the past did I learn that I have the teeniest bit of Irish blood--my geneaology-obsessed sister discovered that great-great-grandmother Mary was born in Dublin, then married my English great-great-grandfather before coming to New Jersey. But I still like to celebrate as if I'm really Irish!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:47 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,286,755 times
Never had corned beef as a kid. We did however have ham and cabbage which I love and make once in a while.

I pick up a ham bone at Heavenly Ham, there is usually lots of meat on it..

Old 03-05-2015, 12:05 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,668,755 times
At our house it's corned beef and cole slaw!l

Old 03-05-2015, 12:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
My experience, having Irish-born and Scottish-born people in my family, is that "corned beef" can elicit a look of horror, because corned beef in the UK and in Ireland is often found in canned meat form, much like Spam. My Scottish BIL was horrified at the idea of a corned beef brisket dinner with cabbage and potatoes, until he saw it and ascertained that it wasn't a chunk of meat from a can.

Cattle, overall, are not nearly as commonly raised in Ireland as pigs and sheep, and fishing is a large industry as well, so it's no surprise that the more common meats are hams, pork sausages, mutton, lamb, and seafood. I don't recall chicken being abundantly served there, either, though chickens are commonly raised there for eggs.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:37 PM

20,859 posts, read 28,195,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCat View Post
We'll be having beef and Guinness stew,champ,Bailey's bread pudding...and Irish coffees
Do you have a recipe for this bailey's bread pudding you can share? BTW I have a coupon for $1.99 a lb. for corned beef, elsewhere it's $2.99 a pound. The sale prices used to be $1.49 -$1.99 per pound.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:51 PM

580 posts, read 773,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

buy the old fashion gray corned beef....
The pink is from the sodium nitrate (curing salt), which has been used for a hundred years to prevent botulinum.

Have done a dry cure...but only for a few days due to the bacteria risk. And yes, was a delightfully appetizing grey. Lol.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:59 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,042,363 times
Quote:
It is actually on sale this week at Aldi's for $1.99 a lb bit it is $6.99 at Fresh Market.
1.99lb is VERY cheap...

I cant buy it for that

I think the chains are taking a loss on that to get more customers in the store- like giving away thanksgiving turkeys below cost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink