Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:56 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If you're eating meat, why is eating a cow fine, but a horse is gross? A pig is good, but a dog is bad? That has to do more with feelings than anything.

I don't eat any animals. For ethical reasons. I don't want to cause misery to another creature because it tastes good.

I think that people feel more outrage when an animal that is a companion is used as food - an animal we are more familial with, such as a cat dog or horse.

Really though, it's all the same. Animals all feel pain, no matter what type of creature they are.

It's ALL wrong.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 AM

353 posts, read 580,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You really should brush up on the definition of karma. When people use words they vaguely believe they know the meaning of they just end up using them in an inappropriate way and looking foolish.

What's really weird is posting bizarre, inappropriate threads with nebulous anecdotal dreck in the forum where people discuss food.
Well, maybe it is foolish use of "karmä" word in this story; so I give you that, but what about a strange coincidence? I happened for real. That man killed animals. Lots of them. I just did not want to eat my pet goat.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 AM

271 posts, read 600,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_fox13 View Post
Oh no! Poor little goat. Which reminds me when i was 14, my dad bought me a mini pet goat. I named him Boris and he was my friend all summer. I was planning on keeping him and take care of him as he was any other pet, but my grandma's friend came to visit in the fall and skinned him while I was away with my cousins. They killed my little Boris and tried to feed it to me when I came back! I cried for days!I felt so betrayed... Funny thing is that the man that killed my lil Boris died of a heart attack in the middle of corn field two years later. Karma does catch up eventually weird coincidence, isn't it?

I heard horses get really attached to humans too.
Aww. That's a sad story. I think cows, pigs and chickens get attached to humans too. I heard that chickens actually make very good pets.

I don't eat meat because I love animals. I just don't want to be part of that cycle.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Any post that goes into the Vegan forum that brings up the meat subject gets deleted, if we-the-carnivores post it there, so I think the original poster needs to be moved back over to where she came from.
And, OP: I eat burgers and fries and drink soda pop and I look nothing like the overweight woman that you put on display in your profile picture album. And, personally, I think she looks way better than that stick figure woman that supposedly just grazes like a little lamb.
Yep, pretty much. Especially if it's a factual post.

For the record, it's entirely possible for an animal to live a great life, be slaughtered humanely (which should be the goal because if an animal is frightened adrenaline taints the flavor of the meat and, even if your only focus is the bottom line, the meat will not be as high a quality and will sell for less), and fulfill its designed place in the Great Circle of Life (herd animals are the ones we most commonly eat and they are prey animals in nature). It doesn't have to "suffer" so if you're not eating meat for that reason you're fighting the wrong fight. If you don't eat meat because it doesn't agree with you or because it squicks you out, that's fine, but don't pretend it's because it's necessary for an animal to suffer in order for a human to eat meat. In point of fact, animals that are slaughtered stand a much better chance of NOT suffering than the same animals in the wild being chased down and then torn apart and eaten while still alive as nature often has it.

Now, if you have issues with the kinds of farming that IS abusive to animals, or with people slaughtering them in cruel ways, and have actual knowledge of what non-abusive practices are (not from videos on the internet by animal rights groups - many of those have been shown to be edited to prove a point when the full video shows the exact opposite, and animal rights groups are fighting like crazy laws being proposed that say that if you video animal abuse you are required to report it and give a copy of the full video to the law enforcement agency in your area charged with stopping it within 48 hours rather than continuing to video for months while animals continue to suffer just so you can release it at the optimum time for fundraising), a really useful thing would be to address that. Preferably from a position of actual knowledge, not what you've been spoon fed to wind you up for someone's agenda.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:11 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
I stopped eating meat when I read about sociopath Fritz Haarman
I wont post a link as it's o/t, though.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't eat any animals. For ethical reasons...
Would it be better to let PETA have them and slaughter them?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

I know in NY an Indian restaurant was serving lamb, but it really turned out to be goat that was , well, killed in some basement somewhere. It is scary, thanks for posting this thread.
Goat meat is quite good, but it doesn't taste like lamb. Odd that people who ordered lamb didn't know enough about their food to know that they weren't eating lamb.

Incidentally, goat meat costs more than lamb, so I don't know why anyone would substitute it when they can get very high prices by labeling it as cabrito or chevon.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:07 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Goat meat is quite good, but it doesn't taste like lamb...
I agree - goat is good but there is no way anyone could serve me a dish with goat and convince me it was lamb.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times
Wait a minute! No one is speaking for the fish. The inhumanity of it all! Don't they have feelings, too?.............

Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Wait a minute! No one is speaking for the fish. The inhumanity of it all! Don't they have feelings, too?.............
No, and very recent research has proven that fish do not feel pain, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink