U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Status: "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s giant metal chicken." (set 8 days ago)

5,243 posts, read 3,064,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Canned corned beef tacos.
hork

I reeeeally hope you're kidding!

For quick meals, we like dinner salads (grilled chicken, sliced tomato, sliced cuke, maybe red onion, etc.) or slow cooker meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:29 AM

2,205 posts, read 1,814,154 times
Microwaved baked potatoes with your favorite toppings

Frozen-microwaved rice -- add cheese or proteins/veggies

Canned chicken -- can be added to almost anything hot or cold (pasta, salads, sammiches)

I second the eggs suggestion -- you can easily microwave scrambled eggs with/without other ingredients

When you DO have some time, whip up big batches of meals and freeze them.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 AM

2,205 posts, read 1,814,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
what about preparing a stew or a pork butt in the crockpot? All you have to do is turn it on and when you get home you have a nice dinner. How can you not like leftovers? We are the left over queen and king in our house plus it means one less night of actual cooking.
I knew of a family that never ate leftovers! They either polished off every last bit of the meal, planned portions very well, or (horrors) trashed the leftovers! Sacrilegious in my house -- food does not go wasted! Besides, some things are just better the next day.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 AM

2,719 posts, read 1,276,454 times
Ohh wow...OK...

Thank you for all the replies.

We don't eat canned food...too many chemicals in it.

We have a slow cooker, and I like the food that comes out of it...it just feels like it takes FOREVER to prep it. I am not a chef, or a foodie, I eat two small sandwiches with Swiss cheese, and ham super thin sliced a day...that's how much I don't like to cook, and how much time I don't have to eat anything else...I absolutely hate touching meat....grosses me out like you wouldn't believe...eggs is all one of my kids would eat, there is no convincing him there are other foods, nor other ways to make them other than scrambled...he won't touch anything else.

The prepping is the biggest problem...and the endless list of ingredients...no idea how to get passed that...by the time I am done with that we have to go...I just dunno...

Old 03-25-2013, 02:55 PM

3,239 posts, read 2,215,313 times
You could make a Shepherd's Pie with lean ground beef, Country Crock mashed potatoes (sold already prepped in an airtight canister), Niblet corn and peas, and shredded cheese for the top of the casserole.

Chicken Fajitas are quick, as is stir fry recipes.

Another option: You can cook your family favorites from scratch once a week, on a Sunday, and then you're set for the week's meals.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:41 PM

5,206 posts, read 5,103,548 times
Stir fries are pretty quick. Just put a little olive oil in a pan, cut up some chicken breast (or shrimp, beef, pork, kielbasa), add some veggies (fresh or frozen) and season with soy sauce/worcestershire/tomato sauce/taco seasoning/fresh herbs/spices whatever works for the flavor you want. Cook some rice/cous cous/quinoa in a separate pot. Serve the stir fry mixture over rice/quinoa/whatever you choose.

It's fast, nutritious and good.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM

20,500 posts, read 13,241,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
hork

I reeeeally hope you're kidding!

For quick meals, we like dinner salads (grilled chicken, sliced tomato, sliced cuke, maybe red onion, etc.) or slow cooker meals.
Why would I kid?

Bet you never had any.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 AM

16,976 posts, read 19,912,690 times
We do not use convenience foods much, for reasons of taste, questionable ingredients and expense, but we do like many of the frozen entrees for two that are available now. One we have frequently is PF Changs. Plop it into a pan, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Make some rice. Done. Stouffers makes a beef with gorgonzola that we like too.It has pasta already in it.

I don't know if you said how many are in your family. This option would be prohibitively expensive for more than two people.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 AM

2,719 posts, read 1,276,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We do not use convenience foods much, for reasons of taste, questionable ingredients and expense, but we do like many of the frozen entrees for two that are available now. One we have frequently is PF Changs. Plop it into a pan, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Make some rice. Done. Stouffers makes a beef with gorgonzola that we like too.It has pasta already in it.

I don't know if you said how many are in your family. This option would be prohibitively expensive for more than two people.
There are 6 of us...we usually make something in the crock pot over the weekend, and that lasts for a few days...I just wanted to find other things that are healthier, but that don't take a million ingredients, and hours to prep.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:03 AM

11,362 posts, read 8,230,816 times
I have never made a meal that take hours to prep. Making a meal in a crock pot maybe takes 1/2 hour. What about prepping meals at night when the kids are asleep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink