U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 AM

2,824 posts, read 1,352,517 times

Advertisements

Hi there...

I am looking for quick prep meals....think in the lines of instant mac and cheese!

Three days a week, soon will probably be 4 days a week, I have no time to cook extensive lunches, or dinners...I hate leftovers with a passion, and I need to find some way for us to eat a more divers selection than pasta! I hate pasta too, and end up making a small sandwich and be done and over with it.

I have cook books galore...however, I don't have the prep time to follow them, nor the extensive ingredients list.

Help please.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 PM

3,266 posts, read 2,267,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Hi there...

I am looking for quick prep meals....think in the lines of instant mac and cheese!

Three days a week, soon will probably be 4 days a week, I have no time to cook extensive lunches, or dinners...I hate leftovers with a passion, and I need to find some way for us to eat a more divers selection than pasta! I hate pasta too, and end up making a small sandwich and be done and over with it.

I have cook books galore...however, I don't have the prep time to follow them, nor the extensive ingredients list.

Help please.

TIA

1. Hamburger Helper
2. Tuna Helper
3. Recipes that call for boneless beef, chicken are pork. If the cuts are thin, this will cut down on cooking time.
4.Buy a slow cooker and learn to use it correctly, and when you and your family return home, you will be greeted by the aroma of simmering, chilis, soups, stews, beef roast and potato combinations.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:56 PM

20,772 posts, read 13,563,245 times
Canned corned beef tacos.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 PM

11,463 posts, read 8,456,026 times
what about preparing a stew or a pork butt in the crockpot? All you have to do is turn it on and when you get home you have a nice dinner. How can you not like leftovers? We are the left over queen and king in our house plus it means one less night of actual cooking.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:45 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,211,704 times
I agree with the poster that recommended the "slow cooker". Nothing could be easier and so much tastier than canned crap. Last night we had 3 boneless chicken breasts that had slow cooked with a can of cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup of white wine and a bit of sour cream and flour, salt and pepper. On high this would be done in 4 hours. On low it may take 5 or 6. It depends on the size of the chicken breasts. You could do 4 or more. It takes less than 10 minutes to assemble this and when you get home it's all ready. I had mine over egg noodles that take about 10 minutes to boil and some green beans on the side.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:20 PM

556 posts, read 188,543 times
I put in another vote for a slow cooker. I have a combination rice cooker/slow cooker/steamer with a timer for up to 12 hours and it gets a lot of use. I'd also suggest a food processor, if you don't have one. You can slice or chop fresh veggies in seconds, blend sauces or soups, and then dump everything into the cooker and set a timer on those days when you're really pressed for time. It's easy to make a delicious, nutritious, satisfying meal without having to spend more than a few minutes preparing. On the days when you do have some time, can you take an hour or two and make meals to freeze? Then you can just reheat something on the other days. It will be better tasting and more nutritious than any of the packaged instant foods.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:37 PM

3,728 posts, read 3,112,098 times
Lack of time is also a factor in my life. I use my pressure cooker religiously. I pressure cook chicken or beef and use ready to use rice or instant potatoes. Another product I use alot is "Steamers" frozen veggies. So easy, so quick, so good.

On the weekend, I make tubs of tuna or chicken salad and pimento cheese. Having these on hand we can have stuffed tomatoes or sandwiches.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 AM

9,144 posts, read 3,101,847 times
You can make one pan meals in 20-30 minutes...prep and cook.

since you dont like pasta, then choose one or more from the 3 groups-

starch- rice, pasta, noodles, potatos...

veggies-any

protien- beef, pork, chicken, shrimp/seafood

spices- tomato paste, tomato sauce, salt, blk ppr, chilie flake, garlic pdwr, onion pdwr..ect

Hers is a fast one pan meal.

chicken cut into pieces[skinless boneless for time] 1lb
1 large squash...yellow, zuchinni, summer /cut into bite size[soemthing tender/not acorn]
1 bag/lb frozen corn kernels[you can get with the bell pepper and onion in them]
1 small can of tomato sauce

IN a sauce pan, saute the chicken with seasons[of your choice], when the chicken starts to take on color, add the cut squash, reseason. saute till squash come up to temp. then add tomato sauce and fill the can with water and add. the mix should not be dry, there shoul be some gravy.

once the mix comes to hard simmer, add corn. simmer till mix comes up to temp and is well combined. check for seasoning and liquid.

I make a rice dish like a pilaf or spanish rice with veggies add beef, pork, chicken, or sausage.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,671,044 times
Get a food saver, worth every penny.
I like to smoke(or cook) large cuts of meat like brisket or a boston butt when I have time then portion it out and vac seal with food saver. Put in freezer and you can pull it out and thaw or microwave in the bag. Then you can make sandwiches, stir-fry, or just eat with sides.

Bulldog, you need help! Canned corn beef tacos? Sounds nasty! hahahaha

Old 03-23-2013, 08:03 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,050,669 times
Eggs. They can be made into omelettes, quick and fast. Hard boiled eggs, take no time at all. No leftovers, eggs are single serving items. Think cheese, ham, add some salsa, you got a fast meal, just like that. A piece of toast, done. Add a pepper or onion for veggies.

Prep work for an omelette is about five minutes. Ten minutes, on the table. Same for egg salad. Or make bacon and eggs, just fried eggs, french toast...on and on...pancakes...scrambled eggs in tortillas...add some cilantro, you got tons of things you can do quick with eggs, and different thing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink