U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:10 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,739,154 times

Advertisements

I am a confirmed meat-eater and don't plan to change that (completely) any time soon, BUT I would like to go veggie one or two nights a week. I'd also like to incorporate more beans (various kinds -- I'm open!) to both veggie and non-veggie meals. Anyone have some suggestions for menus, any favorite recipes, etc.? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,779,115 times
This is my easy bean salad recipe that I use when I'm too lazy to cook. You can use any type of beans from the can (Garbanzo, red / kidney, black, etc). You can even combine 2 types of beans for variety.

Ingredients (for 2 people):
1 can of beans (whatever you like, my favorite is Garbanzo) - rinse with water and drain
1 small red onion - diced
1 bunch of fresh cilantro - chopped
1 medium large tomato - seeded and diced
1 cucumber - seeded and diced
Dressing, mix the following: 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, juice from 1 lime, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt & pepper to taste

Methods: mix the chopped veggies with the dressing & chill in refrigerator before serving. Serve as side dish to meat or fish dish.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM

GraceC, that sounds very yummy! I am going to try it!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:35 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am a confirmed meat-eater and don't plan to change that (completely) any time soon, BUT I would like to go veggie one or two nights a week. I'd also like to incorporate more beans (various kinds -- I'm open!) to both veggie and non-veggie meals. Anyone have some suggestions for menus, any favorite recipes, etc.? Thanks in advance!
There is no finer meal in life than great northern beans cooked with salt pork. Include some corn bread and you have all the components for the best meal *ever*.

20yrsinbranson

Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There is no finer meal in life than great northern beans cooked with salt pork. Include some corn bread and you have all the components for the best meal *ever*.

20yrsinbranson
Details, please! I googled but there are too many choices ... what is YOUR favorite way to cook them?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 PM

19,882 posts, read 36,385,911 times
Love this. Freezes well, too. It uses smoked, not fresh, chorizo, though I've made it successfully with andouille.

Chorizo and Garbanzo Bean Soup

Serving Size : 8

4 medium carrots -- diced or sliced on t
1 medium onion -- diced
3 ribs celery -- with leaves, diced o
1/2 pound chorizo -- smoked, sliced thin (andouille will work, as well)
4 cans garbanzo beans -- drained
1 quart chicken stock -- usually takes 1-1/2
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
loaf French or Cuban bread
1 cup chopped cilantro
4 Lemons -- cut in quarters
1 Tablespoon cumin
2 Tablespoons kosher salt
Black pepper -- to taste

In a large stew pot, saute carrots over medium heat in a little vegetable or peanut oil untll the carrots are softened, about 5 minutes.

Add the onion to the carrrots and saute until the onions wilt, about 5 minutes.

Add the celery to the carrots and onions and saute until the celery wilts, about 5 minutes.

Throw in a couple of grinds of black pepper, to taste.

Stir.

Add the chorizo and stir.

Cook for about 5 minuts.

Add the garbanzo beans and stir.

Add the chicken stock and stir. Stock should cover the beans by an inch. Add more stock if needed.

Drizzle about a teaspoon of olive oil on top.

Bring to a simmer.

Cover and simmer on low until the garbanzo beans are just starting to get tender. Test about every 30 minutes.

Puree a cup of the soup mixture and add it back to the soup.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Slice the bread on the bias about 1/4" thick.

Lightly brush each side of the bread with olive oil.

Sprinkle lightly w ith kosher salt.

Bake in oven until lightly brown.

Put soup into bowls.

Sprinkle with cilantro.

Lightly drizzle with olive oil.

Squeeze lemon juice on top.

Serve with toast.

Fresh grated Manchego cheese over the top adds a nice touch. Sour cream is a good alternative.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,807,408 times
Put kidney beans/chickpeas/black beans in salads.

Black bean burgers.

Bean tacos/burritos/enchiladas

Chili

Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 AM

16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times
I put beans in my salad, I make a white bean dip which is very similar to hummus. Esacrole and white beans, black bean burgers, veggies burritos with black beans, rice and beans, elbow pasta and beans, lentil soup, tuscan white bean soup.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Three-bean chili

One medium onion, diced
Garlic (as little or as much as you like) diced
2-3 jalapeno peppers (or any pepper you like), seeded and minced
3 15 oz. cans of beans (mix black, red/pinto/kidney, and cannellini/great northern), drained and rinsed
3 cans whole or diced tomatoes, with juice
12 oz. beer (the magic ingredient)
1 T dried oregano
1 T cumin powder (the other magic ingredient)
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: diced bell peppers, or any other vegetable you like (celery and carrots are good)

Dump everything in a stock pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes, until the veggies are soft and until the chili is as thick as you like. If you're using whole tomatoes, use a spoon and break them up midway through cooking.

This is good with a splat of sour cream or yogurt on it, and shredded cheese and/or green onions if you like.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Details, please! I googled but there are too many choices ... what is YOUR favorite way to cook them?
In a pot!

Soak the beans overnight. Throw out the water.

Chop up an onion and put it in the pot with the beans and about a cup of salt pork. (You can throw in a bay leaf if you want to be really fancy).

Turn on the heat and let it cook until the beans are soft. (Check water levels frequently and replenish if it gets low). Remove bay leaf before eating.

That's about all there is to it! Easy peasy.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink