Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times

Advertisements

One aspect the OP didn't consider is that most of our ancestors have lived for millions of years tilling the fields, walking everywhere, doing more physical exercise each week than some of today's professional athletes.

Another aspect the OP didn't consider is that most of our ancestors ate meat that was far more thoroughly free from the kind of disregard for the suffering of the animals as compared to today, and grains that were far more thoroughly free from the kind of chemical and genetic manipulation that is common today.

Another aspect that the OP and others didn't consider is that the disparity between the richest (i.e., us) and the poorest (i.e., the "starving children in Africa") has never been larger, and while the last fifty years have been a time of declining compassion for others, in the broader context the last four hundred years have been a time of marked maturity for human civilization, prompting much of humanity to adopt a truer morality than in the past, highlighted by a general, though clearly not ubiquitous, higher level of consideration of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,792 times
The meat we eat is full of hormones and antibiotics, the fish we eat is loaded with mercury, the fruits and vegtables we eat are contaminated with pesticides. Why shouldn't we be concerned? We are being poisoned. The government will be quite happy if we die the same day we qualify for Social Security, if not sooner.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,064 times
Quote:
Our ancestors have lived for millions of years eating proteins and carbohydrates mainly from meat, grains, and fruits, yet I they were pretty healthy.
there is a ton of chemicals in foods today. For preservation, flavoring and packaging. Nobody really knows the true damage of the past 2-3 generations consuming these chemicals.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbrepasser View Post
Our ancestors have lived for millions of years eating proteins and carbohydrates mainly from meat, grains, and fruits, yet I they were pretty healthy.

I grew up eating steak Monday-Thursday in the 60s and I'm still alive. There are millions of starving African children and all people complain that they eat ramen noodles most of the time? This country has strange priorities.....
Your post gives me a chuckle, so thanks. It's a fun way to begin the day.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:59 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
The issues cited in Posts #12 and #13 have been under public and journalistic scrutiny for over forty years. Granted, it will be a long time before the full effects are known, but when compared to the negative effects of a much better-known poison -- tobacco -- the risks are likely nowhere near as great.

The selling of the unattainable goal of total and absolute security -- unattainable on this side of the cemetery -- is a business like any other. It's currently a bit more poular because some of its most loyal zealots identify more closely with the current Administration in Washington, and its allies in the bureaucracy who never met a "crisis" they didn't welcome -- if it meant more power and a bigger staff.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:04 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
If these foods were really as dangerous as you people think then you would see lifespans declining, not increasing.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
If these foods were really as dangerous as you people think then you would see lifespans declining, not increasing.
That's a logical fallacy. It ignores the fact that many factors affect lifespan, not just the food one eats.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbrepasser View Post
I grew up eating steak Monday-Thursday in the 60s and I'm still alive.
Genes have a lot to do with it. There are others who may have eaten the same amount of steak, yet died of a heart attack in their 40s. Same way that some heavy smokers never get cancer but some non-smokers die of lung cancer.

Exercise also contributes to life span. Yeah, maybe in the past people ate huge breakfasts (steak and eggs), but had a job that required a lot of physical labor.

Plus, we didn't always know what we were eating. Ingredients weren't always listed on processed foods. It's only been in the past few decades that the nutrition grid was added. I was astounded that my favorite little Tasty-Klair (single serving chocolate eclair) from Tasty-Kake had 30 grams of fat!!! I knew it wasn't health food, but still, that's a LOT! We've gradually become more aware of exactly what we've been consuming all these years.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
The meat we eat is full of hormones and antibiotics, the fish we eat is loaded with mercury, the fruits and vegtables we eat are contaminated with pesticides. Why shouldn't we be concerned? We are being poisoned. The government will be quite happy if we die the same day we qualify for Social Security, if not sooner.
I wonder how our life expectancy increased. I think we should point out what needs to be improved, but the food supply in the U.S. is very safe compared to the rest of the world and compared to 50 years ago. There is increasing awareness. The "We are being poisoned"comment amounts to hysteria.

We should make improvements. No skull and crossbones have to be put on our food and we also should realize there are no guarantees and chance will play a role. Remember Steve Jobs was a dedicated vegetarian that died far sooner than the average American that does not have the best eating habits. A lot of people eating these "poisonous" foods in moderation live to age 80 and beyond.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:17 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Great point, Charles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink