Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:33 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,922,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Where I live its 8 or 9 dollars at the grocer store, but I never realized all the chemicals and crap that is in store rotisserie chicken. I just buy a fresh free range or organic one and go season and bake it myself at home. Which is much tastier and healthier. I also hate grocery store deli/bakeries. All the baked goods have trans fat and other mystery ingredients. What happened to a cakes just having eggs, vanilla, milk, flour, and sugar?
Taking into consideration that these are "convenience foods", I don't think the occasional store-roasted chicken will do me in. When I was recuperating from a heavy-duty surgery, I wasn't always in peak condition to cook. Sometimes, that chemical and crap-laden chicken was one way to get some nourishment, if not nutrition.

As far as the bakeries are concerned, who wouldn't love to bake a cake? Once, years ago, when my boys were growing up, I baked a Jewish Apple Cake. That cake, if you're not familiar, is very large, very dense and very delicious. I found that I had eaten almost half of the cake before the kids got in from school, so I hid the remains in the freezer and baked another one. Since baked goods are my downfall, and I am told I'm a wonderful baker, I patronize the bakery just like I buy the chickens - occasionally. Just get a slice, and I can avoid those pounds that want to settle where I sit.

I think it can truly be said that a good life can be lived following the motto, "Everything in moderation." Even rotisserie chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,115,563 times
5.99-6.99

buy a .99lb whole chicken and cook it yourself- save 50%

Old 04-13-2013, 02:46 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,576,723 times
Whole roast chickens from one of the large supermarkets here costs around $10 (US and Aus dollar are around parity) they're often half price when you go near closing time.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Where I live its 8 or 9 dollars at the grocer store, but I never realized all the chemicals and crap that is in store rotisserie chicken. I just buy a fresh free range or organic one and go season and bake it myself at home. Which is much tastier and healthier. I also hate grocery store deli/bakeries. All the baked goods have trans fat and other mystery ingredients. What happened to a cakes just having eggs, vanilla, milk, flour, and sugar?
Well I don't know about the grocery stores in your area but ours almost all have a fresh bakery with most items, especially breads that are free of any preservatives. Do you really think the cakes being baked today are much different than the ones we had growing up and most of us are still alive and kicking, well we are kicking anyway. Of course we are not supposed to have so much sugar anyway, so what difference does it make it we buy cakes already made or not?

Deli dept at stores: I am not a huge fan of deli meats but some of the Amish cheeses are great. If you don't get them from the store, where do you get decent cheese?

As for rotisserie chicken, of course there are a lot of additives, that is what makes them so good, but we are not talking about eating them daily or even weekly. We are talking about maybe buying one a month at most. At least that is all we do, it is a treat and something to serve when we have had a busy day..

I think for those who are concerned about everything that goes into a meal, buying strictly organic is fine, for most of us, we do just fine eating what we can get locally, from wherever. I love the local Farmers markets for instance, but they are only avail summer months. Baked good (which we rarely eat) what makes anyone think getting them from the bakery down the street is any different, than getting them from the grocery store bakery?

the secret to life for most of us is use good sense and anything in moderation is fine..

Old 04-13-2013, 01:06 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,396,908 times
Thumbs down typical...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
In Honolulu, the place I like to buy a whole rotisserie chicken it's $10. Yes, it's a bit pricy, but it tastes really good.
this is such a typical pricing gouge in Hawaii. $10.00 for a chicken, if tourist really on knew what happens to them while they are here they wouldn't come back...rediculous food costs. Costco is my bet. $4.99 piping hot.
Koale

Old 04-13-2013, 05:05 PM

459 posts, read 756,043 times
$6.99 everyday except Sunday, when they are $4.99

Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,608,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
5.99-6.99

Your not saving anything once the entire cost is calculated, your actually losing. You can't compete with the economies of scale for this particular product. Unless of course your buying semi loads of chickens and cooking 100 of them at a time. Even then you'd need a way to spread the cost of this loss leader across your entire income pricing structure and I doubt you could compete with Costco's no more than 14% percent markup over all product catagories. You could always charge a membership to your mainebrokerman chicken club to recoup.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 AM

51 posts, read 98,942 times
6.99 to 8.99

Old 04-14-2013, 11:44 AM

5,503 posts, read 6,234,724 times
$4.99 at our Member Club. Tastes delicious and I didn't have to put the oven on in the heat and clean a pan.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:54 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
5.99-6.99

actually at $1.00 lb it isn't all that much cheaper as most of the chickens we are talking about weigh about 3 to 4 plus lbs. and then you have to use the oven and some spices. We get ours at Sam's for $4.99. Sure it is cheaper, but have you read all the responses? Most of us don't do this on a daily or weekly basis but when we are in a hurry. Last week we had been out all day, made 11 stops that day, left the house at 8;35am and got home about 4:30. When it came time for dinner, all I had to do was take a piece of the chicken and zap it for about 3 minutes in the micro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink