Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times

Advertisements

Cabbage: Cut into thin wedges, and cook in a quarter-inch of water for six minutes. Sprinkle with celery seeds (don't overdo), salt, and a good pepper blend. Drizzle with your favorite oil, once cooking is finished.

Swiss Chard: Just steam for a few minutes. Chard has a perfect flavor, without any additions. Needs nothing. Just spritz lightly with Olive Oil after cooking.

Carrots: Steam with Rosemary and a good pepper blend. I like butter or Walnut Oil with Carrots.

Beets: Just dip in boiling water to disinfect the outside, then peel and slice. Beets are wonderful raw. Their flavor combines well with Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Clove, Fennel...

Collard Greens: Finely chop them raw in a food processor, then fold them into a grain dish like rice, toward the end of cooking. I like Garlic and Nutmeg with Collards. Collards only get gross and stinky when they're cooked to death. When they're pureed and barely-cooked, they have an exquisite flavor.

Eggplant: Chop finely, and use as a SEASONING for other vegetables or soups. They add a meaty flavor, and the "bitterness", once diluted, is actually an addition to the overall flavor of a dish.

Broccoli: blanch in boiling water for thirty seconds. Remove with tongs. Cut off the tender top portion and plate it. Squeeze on lime, lemon, or tangerine juice, add salt and a good pepper blend, and your favorite oil. This is what my Husband has for breakfast, most mornings. The thick Broccoli 'trunks' are saved for soups or snacks. To steam Broccoli, thin-slice the 'trunks' and put them in the steamer tray, first. Then add the tender 'florets'. Sprinkle with Celery Seed, pepper blend, and salt. Remove the florets after they have steamed for a few minutes. The sliced 'trunks' can stay in longer. Add your favorite oil at the table.

At our house, we like to 'build a steamer tray', combining several vegetables so that their flavors will complement each other. Generally, whoever is building the tray will sprinkle in whatever spice blend(s) I've ground-up and left in the fridge.

And we love to have vegetable soups in summer. We add all sorts of herbs, spices, and aromatic vegetables, once the heat has been reduced. Fennel, Garlic, Onions, Shallots, Chives, Horseradish, Rosemary, Carrots, Ginger, Cumin... the list of Aromatics is endless.

The best way to learn is to just get in there and do it. Your instincts will take over and it will become second nature very quickly, if you're willing to experiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 05:32 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Roasting will convert most into vegetable lovers. Beets, Fennel, Turnips, Rutabagas and Eggplant are some prime examples of overlooked/unfamiliar vegetables that are delicious when cut up, tossed in olive oil w/salt and pepper, and roasted at 325 degrees until lightly browned. To speed up the process on roasting veggies, microwave on high for a few minutes after cutting up (cover in plastic and add a little water). This cuts the roasting time in half and doesn't affect the flavor at all.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I love Vidalia onions. They are just coming into the markets now; to me, you can do anything with them, from using them in place of shallots to grilling them, using them in all recipes, etc. I only wish they didn't have such a short growing season..
It's a strange thing seeing they are from Georgia and all, but we can get them about 8 months of the year here in Canada.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:02 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Maybe a certain kind of spice or something. Any ideas will help. I will probably try them all to see which ones are best.
Cheese sauce works for most of 'em. There's nothing that will make turnips palatable, however.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
You have to balance with some fat. Pick your poison: butter, bacon, or oil. Also add seasoning for a trifecta of flavor. Voila!
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was beginning to think that every CD poster believes this is spelled "walla".

Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was beginning to think that every CD poster believes this is spelled "walla".
If we missed an accent, in this case the accent grave over the second a, we would have got dinged by Mme Compeau, my first French teacher.

Et voilà!

Fat is flavor, whoever said bacon, butter or oil, correct! I can't think of any veggie that doesn't have a flavor improvement when one of those are added. I actually use both bacon and butter in my potato leek soup recipe. Artichoke leaves dipped in seasoned, garlic melted butter; carrots braised in butter and finished with maple syrup and fresh dill; a sautéed vegetable medley of cubed zucchini, onions, tomatoes and garlic in olive oil and Italian herbs; the list is never ending. I'm going to have to go make some lunch now, thanks!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
...a sautéed vegetable medley of cubed zucchini, onions, tomatoes and garlic in olive oil and Italian herbs...
Leave-out the Italian herbs, toss-in some eggplant, cook it 30 more minutes and you'll have...

Old 04-17-2013, 02:03 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Leave-out the Italian herbs, toss-in some eggplant, cook it 30 more minutes and you'll have...
Ratatouille, bien-sûr!

Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Ratatouille, bien-sûr!
Show-off . I love a good ratatouille - especially using fresh summer veggies.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
My favorite way to eat green beans is dry-fried string beans like the ones on the Chinese buffet. My plate will usually have about 1/3 of it covered with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink