Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would open a really, really good sandwich and soup restaurants. I would offer just a couple of soups, one being split pea cause it is my favorite and I have been told I make blue ribbon quality but who knows, that is just my family and friends talking: I would probable also have a lighter soup, like a chicken base one. Then I would have a daily special. As for sandwiches, I again, would only offer a few kinds, one being a great French dip, one being a vegetarian one, maybe a good egg salad or just a basic cuke and avocado type (maybe 2 veggie ones) and I would serve one hot sandwich and one more cold one. To me, the simpler the menu, the better the quality can be. Oh, and I would not use processed meats. I would start from scratch early every morning.
I would love your place french dip is the best sandwich ever and split pea soup is one of my faves also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,940 times
Default French, Italian or African

I can only imagine what foreign cuisine taste like. I have never travelled anywhere near France or Italy, but by looking at images of prepared meals in magazines is enough to make one drool. So i guess a French or an Italian restaurant it will be. But also an African restaurant (serving mostly Nigerian dishes) will also highly be considered.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
A little Bahn Mi joint close to my house.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I think it has a lot to do with advertising. The chains have the benefit of nationwide commercials, full color newspaper inserts, direct mail flyers and widely advertised specials.

The American public is more attracted to "2 can dine for $20" specials at Applebees, TGI Fridays, and Chili's than the better food and service that independent restaurants offer. And the independent places can't afford the advertising, coupons and specials.
I am sure you are right; we, as a society are always looking for a bargain and those ads do draw attention. Heck they draw attention for me and I am not a chain restaurant lover or even one that eats out a lot. Not only can the independent guy afford the advertising he probably can't afford to offer the 2 for deals. It is like the independent grocery store trying to compete with WalMart.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
If you're ever in LA, go to Inglewood, there's couple of those down there.
again, let me ask, how can you combine Soul with truly vegan? It is impossible if you really understand Soul food.. I have known people who love their soul foods and they do not mix at all with vegan eating. Like someone said, it would be hard to open a vegetarian soul food restaurant, much less a vegan one. Tell us what soul foods do not use any meat products, no dairy products, no eggs, no oils or seasonings that are not animal based to some degree? Certainly if there are any, it isn't enough to offer any variety in dining.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Ohhh....maybe I'd open a Jack in the Box.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
We have lots of French restaurants serving game like wild boar, pheasant, hare and bison. I couldn't tell you how good they are, as I don't eat meat, but people seem to like them.
I am very jealous ! We have loads of excellent French restaurants here but most tend to be Higher End ones rather than the more "humble" regional fare which is the foundation of all French cooking. And Game tends to be quite rare as most Brits turn their nose up at it. And I live in one of the most "Game friendly" parts of England.

Pheasant I can get on a menu reasonably often but Wild Boar or Hare is almost impossible to find. Bison is a meat I adore but you hardly ever, ever see it in Europe. You can buy game from the Butcher and we occasionally get some friendly hunters dropping off some Game to us but in restaurants it really is a rarity apart from Venison which is quite common in "posher" places.

I could not be a vegetarian so kudos to you ! I adore veggies , pulses, mushrooms etc... but they always taste so much nicer with a nice piece of meat or fish !

Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I would love a place selling healthy, good value soups and salads near us. I adore soups and salads but it tends to be a neglected part of the restaurant market in the UK at least. A salad drive through would have my custom on a regular basis.

We occasionally have to use places like McD and I must admit pleasure has nothing to do with it , only convenience and speed. I always feel slightly soiled after using them !

They would have to be good quality, fresh salads though not pre-prepared rubbish which tastes like plastic !

Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 AM

486 posts, read 863,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Eastern European. Pierogie, stuffed cabbage, lamb roasted on a spit.
I am so hungry just thinking about Eastern European and Czech food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would open a really, really good sandwich and soup restaurants. I would offer just a couple of soups, one being split pea cause it is my favorite and I have been told I make blue ribbon quality but who knows, that is just my family and friends talking: I would probable also have a lighter soup, like a chicken base one. Then I would have a daily special. As for sandwiches, I again, would only offer a few kinds, one being a great French dip, one being a vegetarian one, maybe a good egg salad or just a basic cuke and avocado type (maybe 2 veggie ones) and I would serve one hot sandwich and one more cold one. To me, the simpler the menu, the better the quality can be. Oh, and I would not use processed meats. I would start from scratch early every morning.
I'm kind of surprised because there are so many of these in Chicago (suburbs too) and in cities in
Indiana.

Last edited by key4lp; 04-17-2013 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: error

Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
I could not be a vegetarian so kudos to you ! I adore veggies , pulses, mushrooms etc... but they always taste so much nicer with a nice piece of meat or fish !
I'm not a true vegetarian. I stopped eating meat when I saw what went on in an industrial feedlot and slaughterhouse. I just can't swallow it any more. I do eat fish, and sometimes chicken if it was raised without cruelty.
I'm certainly not doing it for my health. I just can't stomach suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink