Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
My apologizes then in case nobody picked it up I can't stand when folks try to say soda is not harmful especially when it comes to children.
I totally agree with you there.

I used to live in Alabama (for work, not from there), and you would be amazed at how many parents would let their kids eat and drink whatever. They would give their kids a bottle of Mt Dew to refresh themselves after baseball practice. Really?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 AM

109 posts, read 155,441 times
I think processing foods by your own is much better than buying processed foods in supermarkets. Since you are the one who processed it you can guarantee on the ingredients you include while processing the foods.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:41 PM

237 posts, read 499,133 times
Quote:
My apologizes then in case nobody picked it up I can't stand when folks try to say soda is not harmful especially when it comes to children.
No worries, friend, I didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I was indeed joking as I assumed my comment was absurd enough not to be taken at face value. MD is of course not natural by any definition, and I was just toying with the notion. The negative effects on health cannot be denied and you make some accurate points.
Cheers!
J

Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
No worries, friend, I didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I was indeed joking as I assumed my comment was absurd enough not to be taken at face value. MD is of course not natural by any definition, and I was just toying with the notion. The negative effects on health cannot be denied and you make some accurate points.
Cheers!
J
Thank you & like I said to you in my rep I actually know folks that really think soda is not harmful.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM

708 posts, read 954,678 times
Quote:
Thank you & like I said to you in my rep I actually know folks that really think soda is not harmful.
Like me.
Everything in moderation.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I totally agree with you there.

I used to live in Alabama (for work, not from there), and you would be amazed at how many parents would let their kids eat and drink whatever. They would give their kids a bottle of Mt Dew to refresh themselves after baseball practice. Really?!
Actually, when I was younger, my doctor recommended it as it helped me get a lot of the phlegm that would build up in my lungs.

Of course, that was one 8 ounce bottle.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Actually, there has been processed food for hundreds of year. In the past, all foods had to be preserved in some manner in order to keep the food for more than a day or two. You had things like salt pork, dried beef, salt cod, pickled herring, etc.

I worked in a kitchen early in my career where we made all of the mayonnaise, ketchup, salad dressings and the like. They were pretty good products. However, when you are producing 5,000 meals a day, there is an economy of scale.

Even when I retire in a month or two, I will never make mayo, ketchup or salad dressing. First, you probably need to make at least 2-3 cups to make it worthwhile and that will last me a year or so. Also, I cannot make the product as cheaply as I can buy it.

I will buy canned products rather than buying out-of-season "fresh" foods. I come from a family that grew everything in the summer months and froze or canned everything for the winter months.

I never buy prepared food as most dishes can be made with 20-30 minutes of prep time. I don't count the cooking time as quite honestly, I can do other things.
excellent points: I do consider myself almost processed food free and as I have said many times we use very few processed foods but when it comes to mayo, ketchup, etc. of course it isn't worth it to make your own. We made mayo in one of my foods classes in college. That was the first, last and only time I ever made it.

I rarely buy prepared sauces, frozen entrees, I do love to make my own dressings, like blue cheese, oil and vinegar, etc, use dried beans and do can as much as possible during the growing season, but when people say they use no prepared foods, they might be surprised at how many they use if they really think about it.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 AM

486 posts, read 862,713 times
Saw Michael Pollan on Steve Colbert this week who has a book "Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation."
I'll be checking this book out. In short Pollan's book is based on 4 elements; fire, water, air and earth.
He is cooking and saying in his book that he does not rely on corporations who process foods since they
contain large amounts of fat, salt, additives & preservatives that divorces ourselves form the natural world.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Saw Michael Pollan on Steve Colbert this week who has a book "Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation."
I'll be checking this book out. In short Pollan's book is based on 4 elements; fire, water, air and earth.
He is cooking and saying in his book that he does not rely on corporations who process foods since they
contain large amounts of fat, salt, additives & preservatives that divorces ourselves form the natural world.

That sounds like a good book.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
A little soda, like a little candy isn't going to hurt anyone, kids or adults, but too much does so much damage. First, if it isn't low calorie it is filled with sugar, it can spoil their appetite and rot teeth for starters. I remember visiting Mexico many years ago and being appalled at the kids drinking soda out of their milk bottles, we are talking toddlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink