U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 PM

4,244 posts, read 6,726,317 times

Advertisements

^
Thats the way the Belgians eat their frys!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM

3,803 posts, read 5,942,658 times
Love mayonnaise! One of France's great gifts to the world. I often make my own but it's usually aioli with garlic.

In defense of Miracle whip, I keep some in the house because my mother made our school lunches with Miracle Whip (tuna and egg sandwiches) and they just don't taste right to me when made with mayo. BLT's, conversely, have to be made with mayo. So my fridge always has a jar of Best foods and a jar of MW.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:45 PM

816 posts, read 1,756,526 times
I don't hate mayo but I generally avoid it for health reasons. The taste doesn't come anywhere close to being worth the calories and fat in a a tablespoon of mayo. For the most part the only sandwiches I use mayo in are tuna sandwiches.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:52 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,874,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
...I'd like to hear more about this potato salad!
It's one of the recipes I use all the times to keep husband healthy, and I posted it on my Heart-Healthy Recipes board on Pinterest, but here's the original link:

Scandinavian Potato Salad | TasteFood

Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 PM

19,887 posts, read 25,339,061 times
I don't love mayo, I like mayo. I will eat mayo based salads though but on sanwhiches I prefer dijon mustard.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:04 PM

44,962 posts, read 55,933,377 times
LOVE it. I'm a Kraft girl.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,919,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
I don't hate mayo but I generally avoid it for health reasons. The taste doesn't come anywhere close to being worth the calories and fat in a a tablespoon of mayo. For the most part the only sandwiches I use mayo in are tuna sandwiches.
Yeah, this is my general thought. I must have gone through a pros/cons thing somewhere in my life, because I just don't use it. For example, I love Potbelly (the chain) sandwiches and I order turkey on wheat with everything except mayo.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:21 PM

11,526 posts, read 13,460,507 times
Like mayo, Hellman's, not reduced fat one. I eat it on turkey burgers, vegie burgers, w/ tuna fish, other things, too.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM

990 posts, read 890,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
It seems like mayo is one of those things that people either like or they really hate it. For me, I can't picture a good turkey sandwich without it! I enjoy the smooth, creamy texture and taste.

But some people will avoid it at all costs. Yet some of those same people will eat Ranch, which is quite similar to me. So there is something about mayo that drive people away from it.

Where do you stand on the mayo debate? What about alternative products like miracle whip?

I cannot understand how a person can like Mayo. It's literally the most disgusting thing on the planet. You're literally spreading processed fat on your sandwich, that's beyond disgusting. If I go to a Deli and they cut my sandwich with a knife that was just used to cut a sandwich with Mayo on it and they don't clean off the knife first, my sandwich is ruined.

It really does not make sense to me why anyone would like Mayo. It has no health value and the flavor is atrocious. Then again, it's probably the lowest-class of all condiments, other than Catsup maybe, so that does explain its prevalence.

But what annoys me most about Mayonnaise is the fact that deli worker drones can't understand you when you say "no mayo" and they still slather this horrific substance on my sandwich. If mayo vanished from the Earth tomorrow, the world would be a better and tastier place...plus, a lot of people would be less fat because they wouldn't be getting those extra grams of fat spread on their sandwiches.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM

16,581 posts, read 14,855,129 times
I love loads of Hellman's on a good sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink