Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 06:22 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
No, it won't make it taste bleachy, but the trick is to rinse it thoroughly after having soaked it and then you can either leave it in plain fresh water again or just rinse under the faucet.
It's not just e-coli that gets me, it's watching people in the produce areas of supermarkets...they sneeze, cough, and then touch all the food... I don't want to eat what they put on that fruit or vegetable!
and now I wear gloves when I grab a shopping cart.
I haven't had the flu since 1980 or a real cold in 25 years and I'm not about to start now.
You and I think alike. I'm a bit of a germaphobe myself. But I never thought of washing produce in bleach only because I thought you can get sick from eating bleach!!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 06:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
You and I think alike. I'm a bit of a germaphobe myself. But I never thought of washing produce in bleach only because I thought you can get sick from eating bleach!!??
Yeah, I hadn't thought of it either but then it was recommended to me, I tried it and had the comfort of knowing I'd done what I could. I could smell the bleach (only a capful in the sink) in the water but once the vegetables are rinsed, you don't notice it. I never got sick from disinfecting the food yet! Plus the added bonus is you disinfect your sink too!
I am a bit of a germophobe...
I regurge really easily when disgusted. I'm not quite to the Howard Hughes level and I do cut my fingernails ...!! , but I keep the house clean. I've got two cats and they manage to spread litter everywhere no matter how much I clean, so I bleach water mop the floors, counters, bathrooms, etc.
I just extend the cleaning to the food where I can.
As for grocery stores... egads.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:02 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I eat tons of fruits and vegetables (organic whenever possible) - try to eat whole foods as much as possible - chicken, fish, pork and beef once in a while, lots of water, take vitamins, exercise - I'm healthy as a horse.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 6,710 times
Thumbs up growing tomatos

Try this get some old ice chest,make sure they have a drain plug,use potting soil,get piece of 1-1.5 inch pvc pipe 2-2.5 feet long cut one end off at 90 degree angle to be placed in ice chest of potting soil,take drill and place holes below soil level in pvc pipe,get wooden dowl rods for tomatos to climb up on and some small cord for support,place wooden dowl rods into soil. this also allows you to move tomatos from shade to sunlight and move to avoid to much rain. this will allow you not to use pesticides and enjoy your tomatos with the fact that you grew them.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:56 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
Lot's of green leafy type food is great to eat and safe. Also, just small portion of anything you like, is what I say.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:03 PM

72,407 posts, read 18,196,480 times
Does it include the veggies in the bag? How about eating tofu?that is ok,and healthy.Not contaminated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink